Newcastle United 2 - 1 Brighton & Hove Albion (05/03/2022)

Yorkie

Great win. Old chestnut of not playing well but getting 3 points. Brighton are a decent side, well coached, look after the ball well but have no real cutting edge. Don't remember too many clear cut chances of theirs.

28 points with 12 games to play. Probably just need another 7.

Brighton only managed six shots in the second half, which they started 0-2 down. That's 6 shots, three on target and three blocked, from 70% possession for 45 minutes in a game they were losing. Even Jamie Vardy, about as good as you get, needs more than six shots on average to score two.

Their delivery from corners was excellent, I'll give them that. 

2 hours ago, xLiaaamx said:

Were they they that well coached? On the ball maybe, but I thought they looked like they would fall apart each time we ran at them. 

totally agree , all wind and no fart 

8 hours ago, Yorkie said:

I was impressed with Brighton up to a point.

I thought they tried to pass us to death, which is something we've seen from teams in the past and scoffed at cos, for all the possession stats look good, it's not that effective - the likes of Rodgers' Swansea springing to mind. To their credit, it was an okay tactic; we were looking exhausted at one point, and I was thinking, 'Potter's played this well, you wouldn't begrudge them an equaliser'. 

But, ultimately, they were sorely lacking in and around the box. Pass, pass, pass, exhaust the opposition, grind them down, get in behind... Yep, can't take that away from them. But up front, they just didn't have anything that was going to get past Burn and Schar. 

Nine or ten years ago I really rated Danny Welbeck but if you're relying on him to lead the line for you in the Prem in 2022 then you're going to lose a shitload of games. 

That’s very well summed up. To put it in context I was sat in the Milburn papping it whereas when I spoke to my West Ham mate who watch it all live before his match he said as a neutral he just never thought Brighton looked like scoring. 

Brighton looked very fit. Their high press was very effective, but it's what happens at both ends of the pitch that counts.

Their goal should not have stood. A Brighton player backed into Dubravka and had hold of him by the arm. A more vigorous protest might have led to a VAR reversal.

They had loads of the ball and were playing it in our areas but in the first half we had 4 good chances and they had one or two.

You can absolutely see why Brighton are nowhere near a relegation tussle. A well run side and I imagine that with Bissouma and Maupay they have more cutting edge.

Ultimately we are riding the crest of a wave and I couldn't be happier.

In a good way, today we saw some clear areas that need work. Which is nice for Eddie and the coaches. I think it's time for a proactive change.

Edited by STM

1 hour ago, ExiledGeordie said:

That’s very well summed up. To put it in context I was sat in the Milburn papping it whereas when I spoke to my West Ham mate who watch it all live before his match he said as a neutral he just never thought Brighton looked like scoring. 

Yeah. Great summary from @Yorkie But I agree with your West Ham mate. 

It might just be all the positivity of late rubbing off on me. But usually at 2-1. I would have been a nervous wreck. shouting and swearing, chewing my nails, heart rate like I’m at Helter Skelter rave and a sweaty mess. As you can probably tell, I don’t deal with pressure and nerves very well :lol: 

Yet I felt fairly calm and didn’t really feel like they were going to score. For all of the ball they had. Even the goal felt like it came out of nothing. They don’t create much. 

19 hours ago, Yorkie said:

I was impressed with Brighton up to a point.

I thought they tried to pass us to death, which is something we've seen from teams in the past and scoffed at cos, for all the possession stats look good, it's not that effective - the likes of Rodgers' Swansea springing to mind. To their credit, it was an okay tactic; we were looking exhausted at one point, and I was thinking, 'Potter's played this well, you wouldn't begrudge them an equaliser'. 

But, ultimately, they were sorely lacking in and around the box. Pass, pass, pass, exhaust the opposition, grind them down, get in behind... Yep, can't take that away from them. But up front, they just didn't have anything that was going to get past Burn and Schar. 

Nine or ten years ago I really rated Danny Welbeck but if you're relying on him to lead the line for you in the Prem in 2022 then you're going to lose a shitload of games. 

Good post and great comparison. 

The Brighton system falls down when you open yourself to a counter-attack that easily and don't mark well from a freekick. That element of control would have killed us if they'd scored first and I think that's a big part of their strategy. Looking at their squad their blindspot in terms of recruitment is a striker. Someone like Ivan Toney would give them such a different dimension. I wonder if they're hoping one of their loanees will come good next year (Deniz Undav for example) but either way what started as a consistency in their plan quickly became a limitation. Even the one through ball I can recall was heading away from goal and just needed a shoulder barge from Schar.

I like Potter a lot, but part of me wonders if his style mirrors Guardiola's in the sense that it does require quality to execute on a consistent basis.

11 hours ago, Cronky said:

Brighton looked very fit. Their high press was very effective, but it's what happens at both ends of the pitch that counts.

Their goal should not have stood. A Brighton player backed into Dubravka and had hold of him by the arm. A more vigorous protest might have led to a VAR reversal.

I didn't notice that, but their player was offside (but not flagged in case he scores) and then won the corner which they score from. Hate that.

They're a decent team, possession is their game - perhaps to a fault, bit of a bogey-team (almost always wretched games), they should be the better team having been run well for years and were favourites, plus our position/need - really wasn't bothered about the performance or lack of ball. Its not a case of not boding well because the trend is up regardless.

That our defence is getting proper battle-tested and standing up to it, is kinda reassuring.

19 hours ago, Thiago said:

Good post and great comparison. 

The Brighton system falls down when you open yourself to a counter-attack that easily and don't mark well from a freekick. That element of control would have killed us if they'd scored first and I think that's a big part of their strategy. Looking at their squad their blindspot in terms of recruitment is a striker. Someone like Ivan Toney would give them such a different dimension. I wonder if they're hoping one of their loanees will come good next year (Deniz Undav for example) but either way what started as a consistency in their plan quickly became a limitation. Even the one through ball I can recall was heading away from goal and just needed a shoulder barge from Schar.

I like Potter a lot, but part of me wonders if his style mirrors Guardiola's in the sense that it does require quality to execute on a consistent basis.

Completely agree. I think he’d win a fair bit with som financial backing. I thought they looked really impressive with their limited resources.

I'd like the club to do a few get-to-know-you videos. A little snippet on each member of the coaching staff and their background and role etc.

I'd love to know the ins and outs of a data analyst for example.