Southampton vs Newcastle United: 10/03/2022 @ 19:30 (No UK TV)

LRD

Can’t help thinking it would shift from great to freakishly good form to win this, or even go 9 games unbeaten. That said, one game at a time. With our confidence and the fact we look like a proper team again, who knows! Personally, I would defo shake hands on a draw before kick-off. 

Since October, we have only be beaten once (Leicester) by a side outside the "big six" (City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal and Spurs) and you could argue that Leicester are a side that were expected to be competing in that area.

Wolves was the previous game we lost to, who ironically have been talked about as an outside bet for the top 4 (highly unlikely now).

In truth, Southampton will be tough. Unlike West Ham and Brighton who's form has slipped and have struggled for goals, Southampton create chances and like to attack teams. 

I think this is a genuinely unpredictable game. Up until Saturday, both sides were absolutely flying. Southampton have only lost once at home this season, but much like Brighton on the road, they draw a hell of a lot. 

I haven't watched much of Southampton this season, but at the weekend Villa pressed them up the pitch and Southampton couldn't match their intensity. Without Salisu they were all over the shop at the back.

That said a point would be a good result here and I think we'll get one: 1-1

A draw would be good but a win is definitely possible. Going 9 unbeaten is the most important thing. Shame that Everton is after Chelsea as I can see they seem to be back in the mood.

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Didn't realise Salisu is a doubt, that's great news for us.

Haven’t seen the highlights from their Villa game but him being out means they’re way more susceptible in behind as Bednarek/Stephens are both slow as shit and they don’t really alter how they play unless it’s against a CL level team.

In spite of the team being so well balanced and organised of late, I think we should make changes tomorrow in order to keep everyone fresh and prevent injuries.

My team would be:

Dubravka 

Manquillo

Schar

Burn

Targett 

Joelinton 

Bruno

Longstaff 

ASM

Wood

Almiron

So 5 changes in total. Based on form I'd keep Fraser and Willock in the team but both looked shattered against Brighton and I'd prefer Fraser's work rate against Chelsea.

Manquillo and Bruno are upgrades on Krafth and Shelvey. Longstaff in for Willock purely to rest Willock.

Miggy is admittedly lucky to get a start but Saints are high energy so he could be useful for this game.

For what it's worth I think Howe will only make 2-3 changes at most.

Just now, The Prophet said:

Based on his comments, I wonder if we're unchanged and then rotate v Chelsea.

I hope not.

Far be it from me to question Howe but I've seen managers so many times not change a winning team when matches are in quick succession only to lose the game and say in hindsight they should've freshened things up due to tired legs.

I just think this is the ideal time to give Bruno a game as both Shelvey and Willock were out on their feet on Saturday.

Same with Fraser, as good as he's been we need to protect him a little. He's literally cramped up in our last 2 games and tired players quite often get muscle injuries.