Roman Abramovich

Pokerprince2004

17 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

No change. The Saudis are strategic partners. Notice the silence re Yemen. 

I don’t expect it to happen, nor do I mean now but it easily could be were something to occur that could cause a knock on effect. 

It’s exactly the time of issue people were raising about being happy to be taken over but also wary of having the Saudis as owners. 

3 minutes ago, gdm said:

Absolutely none of this is funny tbh.

The war is devastating and every day it goes on becomes more tragic. Seeing a wanker like Abramovich finally getting his comeuppance is good, especially after their fans chanted his name while they were asked to honour Ukraine 

1 minute ago, RodneyCisse said:

What’s prompted them to finally sanction him today?

Pressure from the Labour/opposition government.

As long as RA can prove he’s not going to receive any money for the sale of the club they WILL allow him to sell the club. Can see it coming a mile off.

1 minute ago, RodneyCisse said:

What’s prompted them to finally sanction him today?

Think they were reluctant to previously unless they had irreputable proof of the relationship between him and Putin. Without that, they were rumours of being sued etc. I’m guessing investigations have turned up a direct link. 

6 minutes ago, gbandit said:

The war is devastating and every day it goes on becomes more tragic. Seeing a wanker like Abramovich finally getting his comeuppance is good, especially after their fans chanted his name while they were asked to honour Ukraine 

Very true but also worrying times for decent Chelsea fans and potentially people out of jobs club shop staff etc 

English football should hang its head in shame that they've allowed this to happen. Asleep at the wheel in allowing him to buy in the first place, which opened the door to all sorts of spurious people buying football clubs, with us at the top of the list. 

Any situation where English football fans are banned from buying tickets because of their owner's influence in complex geopolitics is an indefensible one, it's a massive failure of the game's governance. Nation states and dodgy politicians, from Abramovich to Shinawatra to PIF shouldn't be owning our local football teams because this is the potential consequence laid bare.

Anyone giving it "Hahaha it's Chelsea" needs to take their head out of the sand imo. 

Just now, Wullie said:

English football should hang its head in shame that they've allowed this to happen. Asleep at the wheel in allowing him to buy in the first place, which opened the door to all sorts of spurious people buying football clubs, with us at the top of the list. 

Any situation where English football fans are banned from buying tickets because of their owner's influence in complex geopolitics is an indefensible one. Nation states and dodgy politicians, from Abramovich to Shinawatra to PIF shouldn't be owning our local football teams because this is the potential consequence laid bare.

Anyone giving it "Hahaha it's Chelsea" needs to take their head out of the sand imo. 

The problem arose long before, it arose when we didn’t designate football clubs are protected entities which can’t be bought and sold, instead we treated them as a commodity like we have done with everything else. 

highest bidder wins and invariable the highest bidder has hands covered in blood. To be frank football is the least of our problems. 

7 minutes ago, Kasper said:

Pretty rude awakening to what Newcastle's future might look like in the future. Yeah, Saudi's are tolerable partners for the west right now but things can change pretty fast.

When you step back, things don't change that quickly. Saudi's have been our partners since its founding. Russia has been a strategic enemy of the UK since the revolution, apart from a few years during World War 2.

1 hour ago, r0cafella said:

Does anyone work in this area? I’d love to know how it works in terms of legality. 

from what I understand he owns the holding company which owns Chelsea, this holding company isn’t registered in the UK, how can they stop him transferring his shares in the holding company thus changing the owner of Chelsea?

Kind of do yeah. I work in a bank and had to read about a few big name oligarchs last year to escalate any key info the bank didn’t know. I understood he would be able to do that based in the OFAC sanctions I read about as that’s how other sanctioned oligarchs still had loose ties to the bank’s clients. Not sure if these rules are much stricter though.