Roman Abramovich

Pokerprince2004

Just now, St. Maximin said:

Kind of do yeah. I work in a bank and had to read about a few big name oligarchs last year to escalate any key info the bank didn’t know. I understood he would be able to do that based in the OFAC sanctions I read about as that’s how other sanctioned oligarchs still had loose ties to the bank’s clients. Not sure if these rules are much stricter though. 

Pardon me, as someone pointed out the holding company is registered in the UK (which is so bizarre). 

20 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Pressure from the Labour/opposition government.

As long as RA can prove he’s not going to receive any money for the sale of the club they WILL allow him to sell the club. Can see it coming a mile off.

And there you go… 🙂

Don’t really take any satisfaction from this TBH, don’t see any reason to.

Good that Abramovich is being sanctioned but us wishing this on any club or set of fans seems a step too far. Chelsea is just a chess piece like Newcastle is. 

Guest neesy111
1 minute ago, LFEE said:

And there you go… 🙂

Suspect the money will end up in an Escrow account.

Similar to how we've held onto Iranian assets with sanctions.

5 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

It has to be that high for CL games.

£20k won't go very far when you take into account matchday squad plus coaching staff, physios, and whoever else goes.  They'll struggle to afford something like Inter away, even if they stay in budget hotels and fly Ryanair.

Just now, Troll said:

£20k won't go very far when you take into account matchday squad plus coaching staff, physios, and whoever else goes.  They'll struggle to afford something like Inter away, even if they stay in budget hotels and fly Ryanair.

Players will pay personally. 

Guest neesy111
Just now, Troll said:

Works out at £666 per person for 30 people, yeah you're right when you include hotels.

Good. And if this means getting rid of other dodgy owners in the future (including our own) then that's good too.

If they can't sell away tickets, does that mean there will be no Chelsea away fans for the rest of the season?

Also U.K. government, especially the Tories (although Corbyn’s lot were at it too) should never have let London be a safe haven for Putin’s oligarch cronies. Chelsea is just part of the bigger picture of that. 

They allowed themselves to be bought off while Putin’s agents were murdering people with radiation and poison on British soil. Sickening. 

50 minutes ago, OCK said:

Just wiping off £1.5bn of debt owed to the owner...  [emoji38] a nice sustainable club. 

I don't know much about how this works, but it might be similar to how Liverpool got the courts to help them wipe out their debts to the previous owners. If you can get shot of Abramovich for peanuts, then it will be him who loses the money, new owners at some point can start with a clean slate?

Guessing he only needed two weeks to get his money out of London then.

Nice deal with the Tories so they look tough to the gullible with their ‘Oligarch Taskforce’ and they sell Chelsea for him.

15 minutes ago, Guybrush said:

Good. And if this means getting rid of other dodgy owners in the future (including our own) then that's good too.

If they can't sell away tickets, does that mean there will be no Chelsea away fans for the rest of the season?

Not sure as the away club doesn’t receive any revenue (in the league) from away ticket sales, even though they actually administer the selling of them. Imagine our fans might be the last set of away fans at Chelsea though (unless tickets for a later game have already been sold)

Chelsea FC is a triviality when it comes to stopping the invasion of Ukraine and preventing the loss of further lives, but the fact that the two are even remotely linked is a total failure in governance from the Premier League.

quietly hoping that the population of yemen aren't magically transformed overnight into white, christian europeans.

it's an apposite moment for the game as a whole to reconsider ownership models and the cost/benefit of oligarchs/nation states buying up clubs, NUFC included.

meanwhile, i'm not going to make a pious hypocrite of myself, there's a decent-sized part of me having a sly laugh about this. i'm sure there's some decent chelsea fans out there who don't deserve to have this happen to the club they support... but i've never fucking met them.

Last 6 months...

Rest of Twitter: "Its disgraceful Saudi getting involved in the Premier League, disgraceful"

NUFC Twitter: "Don't Saudi invest in F1, boxing, golf, uber..."

Rest of Twitter: "hahaha whataboutery at its best you sportswashed fools!"

Today...

Rest of Twitter: "Chelsea sanctioned? Whatabout NUFC???"

Got a lot of Chelsea fans in the family (mam's aunts, uncles and cousins who I rarely see). Most are Tory pricks and one in particular will no doubt be defending Abramovich to the hilt over this and - until they bought us - would probably defend the British/Saudi relationship to the nth degree too.

He's even given his daughter "Chelsea" as a middle name. Purely for the fact the one thing they love above all else could be in ruins, I think this is brilliant.

17 minutes ago, LV said:

Also U.K. government, especially the Tories (although Corbyn’s lot were at it too) should never have let London be a safe haven for Putin’s oligarch cronies. Chelsea is just part of the bigger picture of that. 

They allowed themselves to be bought off while Putin’s agents were murdering people with radiation and poison on British soil. Sickening. 

Apart from the, obvious fact, "Corbyn's lot (sic)" weren't in power there's also..........

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/jeremy-corbyns-2001-warning-about-valdimir-putin-resurfaces-314188/

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/russian-oligarchs-tories-cleverly-corbyn-b2022242.html

Idiotic crack by gullible Englishmen like you are why this country's fucked. Imho, obvs.