Everton 1 - 0 Newcastle United (17/03/2022)

Yorkie

Just now, KaKa said:

Yeah, you're probably right. Fingers crossed.

:thup:
So much has been really positive so far. We need to keep that mindset up and not let knocks along the way affect us too much.
Totally understandable that we panic a little when we have a set back.

I wouldn't really be hard on yourselves too much. You were shit for the first time in about 2 months, and still comfortably the better team in the first half. We were, and still are shit, just took our most presentable chance for once. The fact it became an appallingly bad game suited us better in the end.

We're by no means suddenly now safe, we need at least 3 more wins and I'm still not sure where they're coming from. Can only hope we build on this but we should have built on beating Leeds then proceeded to lose 5 in a row, so yeah.

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

I wouldn't really be hard on yourselves too much. You were shit for the first time in about 2 months, and still comfortably the better team in the first half. We were, and still are shit, just took our most presentable chance for once. The fact it became an appallingly bad game suited us better in the end.

We're by no means suddenly now safe, we need at least 3 more wins and I'm still not sure where they're coming from. Can only hope we build on this but we should have built on beating Leeds then proceeded to lose 5 in a row, so yeah.

That's probably the worst Newcastle have played since Eddie Howe took control, yet we still outplayed Everton.  They have serious problems and making ridiculous loud music rallying call to arms isn't going to help and was embarrassing really.  However your fans were loud tonight.

6 minutes ago, Neil said:

Thoughts on Lampard? 

I thought we just saw tonight what we are - a limited set of players with a couple of potential diamonds who as a collective have outperformed the sum of their parts for 2 months and looked knackered with one game too many.

3 away games in 10 days, 2 of which were long trips is tough for anyone.

we refresh, get spurs out of the before 4 games we should get 7 points from. And relax.

a good reminder that we do need 5-6 new first teamers tonight

2 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Hope you're able to manage a little bit of joy tonight, Neil :lol: 

[emoji38] honestly mate fuck this season, someone running on to lamp that protester nonce was the best thing that's happened to us in about 5 months.

5 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Thoughts on Lampard? 

Needs time which we currently don't have. Speaks extremely well and in time I think will make a good, even a very good manager. Still very naive (Spurs away was top class banter) but if we stay up and if we can clear a decent chunk of the deadwood, I'd be optimistic we can make some kind of progress next season. The first bit is still however a big if, the latter part even moreso.

Still bitterly disappointed with that result. Losing to a team with 10 men just feels inexcusable. I'm not gonna throw my toys out the pram too much, just really thought the game was there for the taking. Oh well, bit of a break to recharge. 

Let's play.

20 minutes ago, Neil said:

Needs time which we currently don't have. Speaks extremely well and in time I think will make a good, even a very good manager. Still very naive (Spurs away was top class banter) but if we stay up and if we can clear a decent chunk of the deadwood, I'd be optimistic we can make some kind of progress next season. The first bit is still however a big if, the latter part even moreso.

Aren't you guys in a bit of a pickle with FFP rules also?

Nice 3pts for you guys that were desperately needed.

39 minutes ago, Robster said:

:thup:
So much has been really positive so far. We need to keep that mindset up and not let knocks along the way affect us too much.
Totally understandable that we panic a little when we have a set back.

It’s more than a little. It’s clear from pre-match threads that some have been completely traumatised by the Ashley years and haven’t quite shaken that mindset off yet. 

It's a shit result, especially against 10 men. Could only really say Bruno played well today. On a personal level the result really annoyed me as we've gifted Everton a lifeline and I want them flushed. Hopefully the players will come back from the break like they did the last one.

Edited by Skeletor

12 minutes ago, McDog said:

Aren't you guys in a bit of a pickle with FFP rules also?

Nice 3pts for you guys that were desperately needed.

A bit of a pickle is a very generous way of describing the deep hole of financial mismanagement and negligence we are in, but yes.

Wanted to cool down a bit before posting about result.

Overall we were better side, that counts for nothing though, Brighton were better than us and we beat them. Football is strange.

What I’ve learnt from Chelsea and tonight. Dan Burn tires a bit and is prone to a howler when he’s knackered, against Chelsea he just switched off and tonight he sort of lunged in on Iwobi way outside the box and was out of position and slow to get back.

Although certain players on the pitch will recognise danger and cover for teammates, the rest of our defence is still really poor and will crumble when exposed (Burn getting tired)

Both games have also started to go against us as soon as ASM comes onto the pitch. I think on reflection that’s probably always been the case but he’s been our only outlet up until recently so we’ve kinda had to overlook this. Although I love him, he’ll never be a player to take us to that top level unless he changes parts to his game. But am also sympathetic in that he’s not an effective substitute. He’s like a boxer, working out a flaw to exploit.. 15/20 mins is not enough time. Losing the ball cheaply not far from our own box is fucking rank though.. if he doesn’t recognise that’s what lost us the game and to want to address that, then we have a big problem.

12 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Losing the ball cheaply not far from our own box is fucking rank though.. if he doesn’t recognise that’s what lost us the game and to want to address that, then we have a big problem.

a) it was almost bang on halfway, b) 7 of his 9 outfield teammates were behind him (against 10 men, this was not some unnecessary risk) and c) he never had the ball in the first place. It did not "lose us the game"

Alex Iwobi (!) breezed almost single-handedly through our entire defence and midfield and people are picking on one of the front three for conceding the goal. That is absurd.

1 hour ago, Pixelphish said:

The only joy I take from this is that they were still utter garbage and have a good chance of going down.

Unfortunately so are we. Neither Everton or us will go down as there will be three even shittier teams to save us both.

4 minutes ago, Wullie said:

a) it was almost bang on halfway, b) 7 of his 9 outfield teammates were behind him (against 10 men, this was not some unnecessary risk) and c) he never had the ball in the first place. It did not "lose us the game"

Ok not the best pass from Joelinton, but ASM’s instinct was to get control and run with it. Not “this pass is a bit short, I’ll just lay it back” He was tackled as was receiving the ball and he was brushed off far too easily.

It wasn’t a hospital pass, he just wasn’t in a position to do what he wanted to do with the ball. Pass, pass, pass, shoot. Dan Burn is equally culpable, not sure what was in his head at that point.

I'd say Dan Burn is about a hundred times more culpable for this particular goal. The Chelsea goal was different class (news to some I think that defenders can't stop every goal) but tonight was a big error. Looked like he'd been listening to me rattle on all night about how shit Iwobi is, just had a massive rush of blood and left us completely open.

20 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

And we probably only need about another 4 points. 

Yea, that would really do it I believe. 

Just a bit disappointing they didn't play better. Attack was not fluid in the least although set pieces seemed to create danger.

Shit performance which would have been forgettable at 0-0, but ended up vexing as fuck due to the goal. We got an essentially free red card but were too leggy and clueless to do anything with it. We weren't able to stretch the play as we did against the 10 of Brentford.

Second half blowing smoke, hoofing, and late conceding all reminscent of the Bruce era. It looks like the lads need a break.

If its any recompense, this was a reschedule due to Covid from late December. Had we played it then, I think the result would have been the same, only with the points going to Rafa. I think Everton are in a much worse place now than if they'd got a win against us back then. Instead of having Lampard and Dele Alli, they would probably be in a late season Rafa revival.