sunderland in the EFL

Big River

3 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

First semi-final they might fill the ground for since us in 1990. Palace empty seats, Man U league-cup semi half-full, Portsmouth half-full. But aye go on about how great your support is for a one off like its typical and get exceptions and rules mixed up

They didn’t fill it against us in 1990 was only 26000 there if i remember rightly. In the league match that season down there they had 29000, we we’re all over the shop in the play off semi final loads of tickets available in their end.

If these massive fanbases manifested themselves in attendances neither of them would be in the third tier but games in the PL at either ground where there weren't thousands of empty seats were rare.

Love it when fans get unnecessarily angry about places like Wycombe, with a population half the size of Sunderland and surrounded by many more successful clubs, not pulling in identical attendances.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

They've sold 40,000 tickets so far, so looking like a sell out. You'd kind of expect them to sell out a one off (huge) game seeing as they have had those kind of attendances at some point in the past, but obviously a lot more than the 26k who turned up at vs Portsmouth 3 years ago. 

Not sure what's changed this year, whether the unbeaten run has helped, more confidence under Neil, a bigger name opponent this time (although Portsmouth aren't exactly small), or just perhaps more desperation that they can't have a 5th successive season in the third tier.

It does feel a pretty big match, and I'm looking forward to watching both legs (assuming it's not like 4-0 and game over after the 1st leg).

Edit - missed all the 40k chat on the previous page :lol:

Edited by Paullow

Mackems tend to be obsessed with pulling %s out of their arse for the NUFC/SAFC make-up of anywhere from the Tweed to the Tees outside of Newcastle and Sunderland themselves.

Obviously Gateshead will have mackems living there, and some who support both - but the idea that it would be a significant chunk is laughable.  Traditionally, it made more sense once you're getting towards 'Jarra', but the %s were always pulled out of their arses.  Even deepest darkest Durham never seemed quite as 'mackemy' as they loved to claim.

Give it a decade or so, and those numbers will dwindle even further.  Anyone who was around in the '90s saw it.

On 02/05/2022 at 17:38, Dancing Brave said:

This is from rtg. Don't know if it's for real or not.

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/look-at-this-scratter.1577691/page-23

"The lads reply:

To Sunderland fans,

Just like to take a minute to apologise over the video of me urinating over a statue at the SOL. I realise that our rivalry is intense but I overstepped the mark and my video was below the belt and disrespectful to Bob Stokoe’s family and Sunderland fans. It lacked class and was insensitive.

I fully understand my actions will have consequences but it’s me and only me who is responsible, not my family and friends.

Not expecting many to accept my apology but better to show remorse than non at all"

"Word by word from him. I don’t know the lad, just a friend of a friend."

They can blab on they like ffs at least 80% of Gateshead are toon supporters.

Its hardly getting vexed with the stupid fuckers .

Waste of plastic seats  

2 hours ago, GWN said:

They say a lot of Gateshead is Sunderland fans? factually does anyone know if that’s right? I know a lot of Heed fans many from Springwell who are staunch NUFC fans as well. .

Anyone got any facts on it?

Since they are fewm in @Heron  Wor Flags 

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/gateshead-fc-and-nufc.1577893/

Doesn't matter in the foreseeable future, imho, when NUFC won cups and leagues while SAFC folded into obscurity

2 hours ago, GWN said:

They say a lot of Gateshead is Sunderland fans? factually does anyone know if that’s right? I know a lot of Heed fans many from Springwell who are staunch NUFC fans as well. .

Interesting read that. Wtf have they got against bald men ffs ?

Guest HTT II

Fucking hell, the level of fume over Wor Flags donating some black and white flags to Gateshead is unreal and we didn’t vote them out of the league and they do have a lot of MASSIVE LADS FANS at Gateshead. 

2 hours ago, GWN said:

Mackem facts are, anyone can support sunderland from anywhere in the country and its absolutely fine. Anyone who supports Newcastle from anywhere other than inside the walls of Newcastle upon Tyne is a Keeganite/1992er and used to be massive lads fans prior to 1992. 

2 hours ago, GWN said:

You've gotta love their totally made up stories too.

Loads of gateshead fans have stopped going to games because of the Mags going to games. Apparently.[emoji38]

Screenshot-20220505-061138-Samsung-Inter

7 minutes ago, Scoot said:

Mackem facts are, anyone can support sunderland from anywhere in the country and its absolutely fine. Anyone who supports Newcastle from anywhere other than inside the walls of Newcastle upon Tyne is a Keeganite/1992er and used to be massive lads fans prior to 1992. 

:mackems:

57 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

They seem to be going on about us voting to relegate Gateshead, any legitimacy in this? Or is it another one of those where they repeat something enough that they all start believing it to be true 

Gateshead finished 5th in the 1960 re-election vote to the league - only the top four were re-elected in these annual votes.  The thing is, Gateshead were 11 votes behind Southport - so even if NUFC didn't vote for them (and there is no record of who voted for whom - and note that you didn't vote teams out, you voted them in), it was hardly the decisive vote.

More mackem conspiracy theories.  Newcastle United had the some of the highest average crowds in the country on average in the 50s - why would Gateshead / South Shields even have been deemed a threat?

I bet every social club in sunderland has heard this 'fact' farted out at least once a night for sixty years, mind.

Edited by TheBrownBottle

My dad would regularly go to watch Newcastle one week and Gateshead the next (he’d also go to Roker Park if neither were at home).

He was livid when Gateshead were voted out for Peterborough to come in. Says it was all to do with travel and associated costs. Southern clubs didn’t want Gateshead in, there’s no denying they got a very rough deal.

I’ve no idea who NUFC voted for but you’d like to think it was Gateshead to stay in, as said it’d have made no difference as their fate was doomed.

13 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

My dad would regularly go to watch Newcastle one week and Gateshead the next (he’d also go to Roker Park if neither were at home).

He was livid when Gateshead were voted out for Peterborough to come in. Says it was all to do with travel and associated costs. Southern clubs didn’t want Gateshead in, there’s no denying they got a very rough deal.

I’ve no idea who NUFC voted for but you’d like to think it was Gateshead to stay in, as said it’d have made no difference as their fate was doomed.

Southport, Oldham and Hartlepool were three of the four clubs re-elected - with Peterborough elected in Gateshead’s place.  So while it is a reasonable assumption that southern clubs favoured Peterborough, it can’t be said that it was a conspiracy - Gateshead were unlucky in that four of the five clubs who finished top in the league election that year were northern. 

Guest HTT II

We had good ties with Gateshead back then so I’m unsure as to why we would vote them out.

Yeah, doesn’t make a lick of sense.  I agree with Tsunami - it is likely that plenty of southern clubs voted for Peterborough, and the northern vote was largely split between four clubs (Gateshead did still get 18 votes), they were just unlucky.  Had it been two years earlier, before the Division 3 N/S reform into Div 3 & Div 4 they’d have been ok in all likelihood 

The fume on there over us lending Gateshead some generic black and white flags - literally Gateshead's colours - to help with some atmosphere is just hilarious, you'd think we were asking them to wave branded Newcastle flags which of course it won't be but their little heads just can't grasp that. 

However the rewriting of history and their willing acceptance of this alternative universe over Gateshead's ejection from the league is rather terrifying on a human scale, showing how little evidence people need to so staunchly believe nonsense if it suits their agenda. Explains why the world is in such a fucking mess right now.