sunderland in the EFL

Big River

Sunderland well on top here and could have had it done and dusted within 20 mins, but not trying to underplay that, Southampton looking a mess so far.

They've lost a lot of talent from what was easily the bottom PL side last season, so I guess it'll take them a while to gel. Now is probably a good time to play them. Saying that, just as I type they should have had a penalty and have come to life a bit

Edited by Abacus

The beauty of football in evidence, fair play to them, perfect response :lol:

From what I saw that felt like a repeat of them at their best last season - soaking up a bit of pressure then using speed and quality to break on teams. Chris Rigg definitely looks a player too. 

In the same way that one reflects well on Sunderland it does look bad for Southampton. Russel Martin has nice ideas, but they've not looked convincing yet this season. I don't actually think the team on paper was terrible. Four of the back five have Premier League experience. The bench is a lot stronger than Sunderland's, and yet, I do wonder - and this is just total speculation on my part - how Martin's ideas apply to a team that goes into games overwhelming favorites. 

Teams won't throw themselves onto Southampton. That means less space in the final third and a more complex problem to solve. 

2 hours ago, mighty__mag said:

Those highlights on the EFL show were quality, mackems have some top young players, thought Ba and Ekwah looked really good. Great flair side, but will they have the experience that it takes to get out of that league?

No