sunderland in the EFL

Big River

I was curious to know which teams, in PL era, were most comparable to Sunderland in terms of league position.  I’ve grouped the teams who have had between 15 and 18 seasons in the top flight (they’ve had 16) and included ourselves (28) for comparison. Still not answered my question, but not much between them and Middlesbrough. 

8754DCE9-6C27-46E5-97E3-A2DC912ECBAA.thumb.png.1a7fc185e0ffb4ed1ab32ee05b3711aa.png

nb. Boro’s average is 21st in the country, there’s is 20th (ours 12th). 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

https://www.myfootballfacts.com/premier-league/all-time-premier-league/all-time-premier-league-table/

The all time PL table is quite interesting. They have the worst actual GD of any team (which was a fairly recent Pointless question). Palace will overtake them if they finish on 55 points this season, it will be close, but perhaps more likely next season.

We'll still likely end this season with a negative GD, but will probably be back in positive next season. Everton will probably end with a negative GD at the end of this season, and while they currently have a +30 advantage over us, that could be really close by the end of the season.

Leeds having a positive GD is quite surprising, although I guess they quickly went from being a solid top 6 side to struggling massively, and relegated not long later.

Edited by Paullow

44 minutes ago, Paullow said:

https://www.myfootballfacts.com/premier-league/all-time-premier-league/all-time-premier-league-table/

The all time PL table is quite interesting. They have the worst actual GD of any team (which was a fairly recent Pointless question). Palace will overtake them if they finish on 55 points this season, it will be close, but perhaps more likely next season.

We'll still likely end this season with a negative GD, but will probably be back in positive next season. Everton will probably end with a negative GD at the end of this season, and while they currently have a +30 advantage over us, that could be really close by the end of the season.

Leeds having a positive GD is quite surprising, although I guess they quickly went from being a solid top 6 side to struggling massively, and relegated not long later.

Why have Spurs and Everton played one more game than the other ever-presents?

Edit: Idiot. Guess they've played one more game than them this season...

Edited by Dr.Spaceman

7 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Annoys me how far behind Everton we are. Sure we've been shite for a long time and have had two seasons away, but still feel like the difference should be less than 150 points. 

It's 3 seasons away overall, so like 118 matches extra, and if we'd averaged 45-50 then it would be similar. They've had a couple of iffy seasons where they have just stayed up, but have largely been solid, whereas we have made much more of an impact in the PL era with 5 top 4 finishes and a couple of 5th place, but there's also been a fair few scraping by, in addition to the two relegations. 

I wouldn't swap our respective PL campaigns though.

Yeah, they have had a fair few top 6 finishes. They've finished 4, 5, 5, 5, 6, 6, 6, as well as 7th 4 times, whereas we've finished 2,2,3,3,4,5,5,6. So I guess there's will add up, and generally consistently solid, but just not that impactful, whereas even under SBR in that 4th season, the title was in our hands with 7 or 8 games to go, but we lost to that Bergkamp goal at SJP and then Liverpool not long after iirc, and any title hopes were over then, but often in good positions.

4 hours ago, John tolan said:

Apparently Liverpool looking for investment. Quote, "hope the murderers buy them and fuck the mags off" ah got it! So they can kill who they want long as they don't own us. The mask has slipped so far it's not even covering the piss stained pants they wear. Around about knee height ATM heading for the ankles. 

That has always been the case! They're hypocritical clowns!

Just look at their reaction back in July 2020 when PIF pulled out to purchase us - absolutely mass celebrations!

I'd love to get them in the Cup and absolutely obliterate them!

51 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Annoys me how far behind Everton we are. Sure we've been shite for a long time and have had two seasons away, but still feel like the difference should be less than 150 points. 

3 seasons fewer in the Premier league and 2 relegations, 14yrs of Ashley. I'm surprised it's just 150pts.

41 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Starting shouting for the "bissies" after Cardiff got fed up of them [emoji38]

Complaining about the way people are behaving in front of children whilst simultaneously calling them "fooking cooonts" is some elite level mackeming. :lol:

Why not just take the kids away from the situation?

4 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

Complaining about the way people are behaving in front of children whilst simultaneously calling them "fooking cooonts" is some elite level mackeming. :lol:

Why not just take the kids away from the situation?

Are they talking about the same 'kids' who are seen attacking the Cardiff fans and coaches? Love how this daft cunt recorded this as some kinda gotcha :lol:

Edited by Elric

20 minutes ago, Elric said:

Are they talking about the same 'kids' who are seen attacking the Cardiff fans and coaches? Love how this daft cunt recorded this as some kinda gotcha :lol:

They are. Nice to have to video context to this story. A group of young mackems decide to attack a Cardiff bus carrying normal supporters just there for the game and not any trouble. After a short while a handful of Cardiff fans get fed up with them and jump off the bus and the mackems drop their arses and complain that they are attacking young kids and that they are the victims.

Moral of the story is a simple one. Don't go attacking innocent supporters and not expect them to ultimately retaliate once they become fed up with you even if you are only 15 or 16.

It's turned out to be a disastrous weekend for the RTG lot mind. They get battered on and off the pitch whilst NUFC score another 4 away from home and sit 3rd in the Premier League.  They must be sick of their lives [emoji38]