sunderland in the EFL

Big River

Everyone counts ST holders that don’t go mind.

Not that there’s any sensible reason for Sunderland to have substantially more ‘non-local’ ST holders that anyone else like.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Mate of mine today was telling me there’s loads of Manchester and London based “season card” holders that struggle to make midweek games. 🤦‍♂️🤣

Very specific...   just London and Manchester?   Or are they just the two big cities he could think of quickly when challenged?   Haha

52 minutes ago, SteV said:

Everyone counts ST holders that don’t go mind.

Indeed they do - I have long not understood why people don't get this.

Do they think that every time a club posts an exact-capacity attendance that means that every single ST holder was able to go? 

23 minutes ago, brummie said:

Indeed they do - I have long not understood why people don't get this.

Do they think that every time a club posts an exact-capacity attendance that means that every single ST holder was able to go? 

Not in their case, you're not talking a few hundred, you're talking thousands. 

2 hours ago, Sima said:

I remember Arsenal also being terrible for it in the past but even they weren’t as bad as this.

I think with Arsenal a lot if their tickets when the Emirates opened were bought by sporting tours groups etc who then struggled to sell on the tickets for games as perceived as unglamorous. The wearysiders cause is unlikely to be the same.

7 minutes ago, OCOCOL said:

I think with Arsenal a lot if their tickets when the Emirates opened were bought by sporting tours groups etc who then struggled to sell on the tickets for games as perceived as unglamorous. The wearysiders cause is unlikely to be the same.

It'll be tickets they give to colleges, university, schools, etc that don't get an uptake. 

The attendance numbers are for the tax man more than owt else - the ‘official’ attendance.  It’s number of tickets sold.

For most of footballing history, the crowds were UNDERstated.  Clubs would knock huge numbers off the attendance as it was cash on the gate - they didn’t want to declare all of it to the revenue. 

Like I said, my work get 100 tickets per game , we use none at most games .

So there’s 100 I can prove are empty at almost every game . Be lucky if there were 28,000 v Sheff United , it’s blatant bull shit the club comes out with and I fully understand the way it gets counted . 

You'd be surprised some people really don't travel outside their home town, I remember someone in their 40s who lived in Stockton her whole life and had never once gone into Middlesbrough. I remember getting worried looks of some people I know when I said I was going down to London, they asked wasn't I scared of being stabbed. I suspect it's these never leave home types who do treat away days like some kind of foreign war tour. 

4 hours ago, TheHoob said:

The away fans craic (from all teams) has always been one of the more baffling things in football for me, they are on the piss for a day with their mates, not doing a tour of Afghanistan [emoji38]

I take it you never went to West Ham away in the 80s :lol:

5 hours ago, TheHoob said:

The away fans craic (from all teams) has always been one of the more baffling things in football for me, they are on the piss for a day with their mates, not doing a tour of Afghanistan [emoji38]

1 hour ago, Dancing Brave said:

I take it you never went to West Ham away in the 80s :lol:

Yep; while I agree with TheHoob generally on his/her (English probably needs a second person pronoun for online aliases) point, there are some clubs where going away can be … exciting

Edited by TheBrownBottle

22 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yep; while I agree with TheHoob generally on his/her (English probably needs a second person pronoun for online aliases) point, there are some clubs where going away can be … exciting

Some obvious, the West Hams, Millwall etc, some less so, Carlisle and Bristol (both) were dangerous.

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I have recollections of Stoke being dicey - a league cup tie there in the mid-90s was a particular ‘stand-out’.

Stoke always had a reputation, bit like Portsmouth and Boro.

5 minutes ago, madras said:

Stoke always had a reputation, bit like Portsmouth and Boro.

I did have the misfortune of encountering what must be Wimbledon’s only hooligan in a bar down there pre-match in 97 or 98 (can’t remember exactly - Asprilla FK) - he tried starting a fight with me and a mate of mine; he came over to us and started ‘shouting the odds’ and goading us.  Daft bugger was effectively hoyed out by a group of us - no punches or anything, basically pushed out of the pub and jeered as he gave us the ‘Vs’ from outside the window.  Wimbledon has a one man firm, it seems.  

Edited by TheBrownBottle