Newcastle United 0-1 Liverpool (30/04/2022)

Disco

Guest reefatoon
Just now, Tiresias said:

Even I am losing patience with Maxi at this point. He maybe needs a spell on bench and enjoy some sub appearances against tired legs to get some confidence back.He is just not getting in dangerous positions at all

He just isn’t a team player. Looked amazing when it was about him. Not so much when we play as a team. He’s frustrating as fuck.

Just now, HWTL said:

Maxi looks so fed up all the time it does my head in, just play the game man 

Not sure there’s any point playing him against opponents this fit and athletic. He’s going to get nothing off them, and he’s always going to be double or triple teamed. 

Just now, mouldy_uk said:

Was it another Ballon d'Or winning performance from Maxi?

:lol:

Really not sure what happens with him this summer. He is so untidy, wild touches, wild passes, wild shooting, all very messy.

If he's happy to be a squad player, maybe keep him as a wildcard off the bench and to be mostly used against poorer opposition.

The top teams deal with him so incredibly easily.

Just now, Mazzy said:

Never have I before seen a referee stop play for a head injury because a player headed the ball. It didn't hit him in the face, he dived down to head it with the top of his head and the ref stopped it after he stayed down. What a load of bollocks. 

Particularly frustrating when you remember their equaliser at Anfield...

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

So frustrating, but encouraging to be frustrated at this after what we saw the first half of the season.

On another day you could have scored 3 tbf.  Keeps the pressure on Man City anyway, maybe we can do you a favour.....

2 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

Would have loved us to ruin their title charge tbh it is a shame but no need for overreactions, their defenders were flawless tbh

Our attackers were also toothless though. Easy to defend against what we threw at them. Didn't help that not a single player in our side seemed to be able to stay onside.

4 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

Think in 10 years or so, something will come out.

Imagine the scenes if they win the Quad and then its retroactively stripped a few years later. 

5 minutes ago, Fatwax said:

Is it bitter to think that the Liverpool players were suspiciously that much fitter and able to recover? Or is the gulf in ability really that big?

Even more incredible when you think they've all got asthma...... 

3 minutes ago, mouldy_uk said:

Was it another Ballon d'Or winning performance from Maxi?

I don't think we'd get £50 mil on his form atm even if we were to sell him. Brought nothing to the game and hasn't for a long while.

Went pretty much how I expected it too, they're much much better than us (and everyone else part from City tbh) and they were comfortable for most of the game. Honestly don't think they got out of second gear and could have stepped it up had we got one back. No disgrace looking at the scoreline though but if Liverpool had been wearing their shooting boots then it could have got a bit messy. 

Absolutely despise that club though, especially the perpetual love-in that surrounds them from pundits and commentators, it's sickening. They're obviously superb from a footballing pov and a bit of a machine but there's loads to hate about them too. 

Guest HTT II

I thought they’d batter us…

Off the ball, superb, on it I never want to see us play like that again. 

Just now, Ben said:

TBF it's nice that we are twisting because we can't beat a brilliant Liverpool considering how the season started.

It was poor finishing tbh, they could easily have won 4-0.

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Not sure there’s any point playing him against opponents this fit and athletic. He’s going to get nothing off them, and he’s always going to be double or triple teamed. 

I understand that but him throwing his hands in the air or looking down at the ground everytime for a loose pass is stupid, shoe your team mates some respect. If they did that everytime he ran into 3 players he wouldn't like it and his passing is awful.

:lol: a loss is never satisfying but this is just one you take on the chin because, jesus, did liverpool even get out of 2nd gear? yeah, yeah, shite ref and all but at no point did I think this had "upset" written on it. at worst the takeaway is it highlights how much more improvement we need all over.

Liverpool didn't break a sweat and managed the game extremely well. We were never a threat and were only as competitive as they let us. 

Good defending on their part with the offsides but our players need racking over coals. Horrific offside naivety. 

Hopefully we look back at this fixture this time last year as a night and day comparison to how we have improved. They are in a different league to us at the moment. We knew that but I think we still hoped for a little bit better today. Scoreline flattered in the end.

Still maintain we can't play Bruno and Shelvey together and it's obvious who would be first choice. Max is just a total liability at the moment as he struggles to even best a player recently. Game was pretty much how I expected and expect City to be exactly the same. Could have been a heavy defeat today with better finishing and we barely laid a glove on them. Roll on the Summer.

No shame in the defeat, score line, or even manner if defeat. Can’t help feeling disappointed with our ability to keep the ball and craft more chances. Needed ASM to have a blinder and he was very far from that. Not helped by formation I think. Good job they didn’t start all their first choices. 

1 minute ago, toontownman said:

Liverpool didn't break a sweat and managed the game extremely well. We were never a threat and were only as competitive as they let us. 

Good defending on their part with the offsides but our players need racking over coals. Horrific offside naivety. 

Hopefully we look back at this fixture this time last year as a night and day comparison to how we have improved. They are in a different league to us at the moment. We knew that but I think we still hoped for a little bit better today. Scoreline flattered in the end.

This basically. In the end we were game enough, just lacked a bit of quality when it mattered. Can't moan too much at a 1-0 loss.