Overrated players

Guest ManDoon

18 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

Kevin Philips won the golden boot not doubting his goal scoring record but don't think his all round game is of a world class player. Often watch Liverpool and not massively Impressed by him.

He terrifies me. :lol: He's stupid good.

Just now, Froggy said:

He terrifies me. :lol: He's stupid good.

Maybe I've caught him during a bad patch of form or somthing cos I was expecting to be wowed a bit with the way people were talking about him, was similar when watched a bit of the African Cup of Nations were you'd think he'd stand out more. Maybe I'm talking shite then haha.

12 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I'm probably going to attract some right pelters here - and it isn't the intent - but Ronaldinho firmly sits in that 'good player but not great' for me.  Flat-track bully who never grabbed hold of any 'big' games that I saw.  Genuinely world class players do - Maradona, Messi, Zidane, C Ronaldo, real Ronaldo, van Basten etc etc - had some of their best games in the biggest matches.

I'd second some of the bigger names listed here *cough Totti cough* but I think I've likely expressed an unpopular enough one!

Surely Ronaldinho tearing apart the Galacticos at the Bernabeu, with two wondergoals, earning him a round of applause from the home fans - counts as grabbing hold of a big game?

12 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Surely Ronaldinho tearing apart the Galacticos at the Bernabeu, with two wondergoals, earning him a round of applause from the home fans - counts as grabbing hold of a big game?

The toe punt against Chelsea was such a massive wow moment in another huge game as well. I remember Terry really struggling against him as well, which is something that was really rarely seen. I remember on one occasion at the Neu Camp him trying to go aggressive and just bouncing off him. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

Yeah - plus I remember the following season him scoring the decider at home to Chelsea, setting up Giuly with a perfect pass against Milan in the semis. Lots of pretty big game moments even just off the top of my head. 

The only thing you can say about Ronaldinho is that, even moreso than Kaka, is that he shined very bright for a short amount of time and then fizzled out. That arguably does place him lower than other greats. 

2 minutes ago, dabe said:

Some that come to mind...;

Kalvin Philips

Mason Mount

Gary Speed

Ryan Giggs

Matthew Upson

David Seaman

Hugo Lloris

Gokhan Inler

Kelvin Philips is a good player and did great at the euros …

Mount is still 50/50 but does well for Chelsea , 

Speed is a fucking legend and was great for us in a team finishing in champions league positions 

Giggs, may have tainted himself with his antics , and wasn’t the same towards the end of his career but my god he was good at his peak 

Seaman also was a good keeper

Lloris has been great this season

inler and Upson maybe agree with but don’t remember saying upson was a complete legend like ?

6 minutes ago, tgarve said:

Kelvin Philips is a good player and did great at the euros …

Mount is still 50/50 but does well for Chelsea , 

Speed is a fucking legend and was great for us in a team finishing in champions league positions 

Giggs, may have tainted himself with his antics , and wasn’t the same towards the end of his career but my god he was good at his peak 

Seaman also was a good keeper

Lloris has been great this season

inler and Upson maybe agree with but don’t remember saying upson was a complete legend like ?

Philips - disagree, he's adequate, hence overrated, usual English inflation.

Mount - same.

Speed - posthumously pedastelled above where he should be rated, a good player with longevity, not great.

Giggs - good but lauded in same tier as some of the best PL players, not for me Clive.

Seaman - decent but shouldn't have 75 caps for England when Tim Flowers and Nigel Martyn exist.

Lloris - perenially overrated, same as Seaman, Mandanda is better.

Inler/Upson - they're overrated, never said they were rated as legends.

13 hours ago, The Prophet said:

155 goals and 62 assists in 249 games for Liverpool, he's world class. I try to tune out of punditry  so I've no doubt missed some overkill.

A few months ago, some were touting him as the best player in the world, which I thought was overkill. 

1 minute ago, prefabtoon said:

ASM.

runs around like a blue arsed fly, getting no where or until he loses possession. 

He then proceeds to blow out of his arse for the remainder of the match, or till Howe pulls him off.

Jury still out on this one- think with Wilson back he will be unlocked again 

11 minutes ago, Cronky said:

A few months ago, some were touting him as the best player in the world, which I thought was overkill. 

At that very time he arguably was the form player in the world. It's all subjective though.

Edited by The Prophet

13 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Seth Johnson

scammed a career

Well that was more down to Peter Ridsdale going full Freddy Shepherd and offering him three times more than he was going to ask for

Vinicius Jr.

Raphinha and Antony are better players, yet it's Vini who is getting all the plaudits. Take Benzema out of the team and he's still very inconsistent and I'd argue Rodrygo is a better player if played on the left-wing. He's a very good player, but I don't think he'll ever be a top 10-15 player in the world and definitely not a golden ball winner. (be happy to be wrong though :lol: )

1 hour ago, Wolfcastle said:

Seth Johnson

scammed a career

Defo a top contender for a ‘footballers you forgot existed’ thread. Add that Michael Johnson that used to play for City to that list too.