Nick Pope

Rich

5 minutes ago, Menace said:

This guy needs to stop thinking he's Neuer, it's embarassing. I knew one day it would bite us in the arse.

Not for me - his sweeping up allows us to play a high-line, high-press game.  Yes, he was caught out today - but it’s been key to our results this season 

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

Not for me - his sweeping up allows us to play a high-line, high-press game.  Yes, he was caught out today - but it’s been key to our results this season 

Agree - it's part of why he's been so class, he cuts out issues before they even become chances. There is a risk to playing that way but it's worth it imo.

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Agreed. If he removed it from his game, you have to ask what we'd lose, and I suspect it would include a lot of points.

His sweeping is outstanding. It is a huge part of how we play. I would like our defence to have more pace in it, that’s one of our biggest weaknesses but it’s not really been exploited until today. What if Pope doesn’t come for that ball? He didn’t really have much choice, I just question how he used his body to come for the ball

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

That’s intentional by definition :) 

Yea, good point. I meant he didn't come out say "I'll fucking grab it off his foot". He fell on it, then for no reason grabbed it.

24 minutes ago, Menace said:

This guy needs to stop thinking he's Neuer, it's embarassing. I knew one day it would bite us in the arse.

He's literally the number 1 most successful sweeper 'keeper in the league.

Edited by Kid Icarus

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

He's iterally the number 1 most successful sweeper 'keeper in the league.

It's unreal isn't it.

Who the fuck does this guy think he is?... Nick Pope?[emoji38]

One mistake and people are telling him how to be a keeper.

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It can, though if it’s viewed as frivolous they’ll no doubt fast track it.  And I reckon it would be :) 

I dunno, I watched the clip a couple times and I feel like you could argue he slipped and the handling was unintentional 🤷

Maybe file it at the absolute last minute so they don't have time to process it?

Really this is better, the hope was killing me anyway.

1 minute ago, Miercoles said:

I dunno, I watched the clip a couple times and I feel like you could argue he slipped and the handling was unintentional 🤷

Maybe file it at the absolute last minute so they don't have time to process it?

Unintentional or not. 
It’s a straight red.

Bruno was unintentional. 

Laws of the game unfortunately 

1 minute ago, Miercoles said:

Honestly, I can’t get onboard the accidental handling train with some of you :) but I feel your pain - I know why folks want it to be true 

"Feel like pure shit" 😔😂

Man, really wanted to go into the game with our best team and be in with a fighting chance. Guess we still have a chance but with either of those two options as keeper, the odds are stacked. 

4 minutes ago, Infatuation Junkie said:

Unintentional or not. 
It’s a straight red.

Bruno was unintentional. 

Laws of the game unfortunately 

Is it?

Handball itself is a yellow card offence, the red card part of it comes to whether or not you think the defender is going to be between the attacker and the the goal. That in itself depends if the attacker has to take a touch to control the ball. I don’t think you can say either way that he would or wouldn’t.

In my opinion it is far too subjective to make such a call.

If we are to appeal then it needs to be discussed between the club and Pope. The club will probably gain a fine if the appeal is knocked back, and Pope will probably receive another game ban. They both together have to decide if it’s worth it.

4 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Is it?

Handball itself is a yellow card offence, the red card part of it comes to whether or not you think the defender is going to be between the attacker and the the goal. That in itself depends if the attacker has to take a touch to control the ball. I don’t think you can say either way that he would or wouldn’t.

If we are to appeal then it needs to be discussed between the club and Pope. The club will probably gain a fine if the appeal is knocked back, and Pope will probably receive another game ban. They both together have to decide if it’s worth it.

No, the defender being between you and the goal relies on the defender being considered ‘last man’.  Again, ‘last man’ means the last outfield player - the goalkeeper is normally considered a given.  That is how a foul by the last defender with only the keeper to beat is a red card offence.  

10 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Is it?

They won’t appeal that pal. 

It was well worthy of the red.