Nick Pope

Rich

Well deserved.

No idea what other top keepers like Alisson and Ederson are on. But guessing a good bit more than that? If it is true De Gea is on £375k a week. Then Pope at £100k a week seems more than fair. 

Just now, Minhosa said:

Looked really shaken after that incident today.

Hopefully he can get passed it quickly.

Hopefully our defensive players will stop being so nervy if our attackers can provide the confidence of actually scoring from time to time. 

Yeah, his confidence must be starting to creak at the moment. The red card he got was a freak incident but the penalty incident today was the result of the only weakness to his game, a poor touch. It will hurt us at times but the most important thing is that it doesn’t start eating away at him 

All keepers have odd moments and mistakes . Allison at Liverpool has , so has De Gea at Manchester United , Lloris has had loads  this season (including against us ha) and of course our old pal Pickford. It's Pope's turn in the spotlight and understandably so with what happened in the Liverpool game and then missing the final.

I think it's a testament to his mentality that he continues to try even though he's messed up a few times the last two games. Much rather that he tries to overcome the issue rather than stopping and playing safer. We need a sweeper keeper in this system, not someone sat stationary on the line solely to stop shots.

Another dodgy one today, which was painful to see, but still an anamoly from Pope and probably the right call from the officials.

Just on the Liverpool one, but earlier in the season, Liverpool scored a winner against Man City from a hoof to Salah. I think might have been the moment Pep went off Cancelo, previously one of their key players. It was him back defending as last man and Salah rolled him really easily. Pep was seen beating the ground before the ball was even in the net. Fast forward four months and Cancelo is out of the door. The Pope one was a clearance hit with a lot of spin and it was the bounce that flumoxxed him. When there are mitigating circumstances like this, its probably just take it on the chin and not dwell on it, because that will just eat into our players' self confidence.

The red card might have impacted him mentally a bit, we did seem to be giving the ball back to him quite a bit early on today maybe to try and bring some confidence out of him. His footwork isn’t the best and we almost paid for it and should have, if that incident was the other way around we’d be fuming right now. 

He’s had such a good season up until the Liverpool game and there’s no reason he won’t go back to being mr consistent.

Edited by Nine

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

Got out of jail today. Jimenez made sure he collided but clear red card for me.

Fuck off mate . Tbf even if you think it was a pen VAR would have given us a free kick on the edge of their box in the build up .. mebbes :)

Another clumsy as fuck moment from him. But you can count on one hand the number of big mistakes he has made this season. Had another ropey one second half. But he also made some top saves. 

FWIW, Jimenez is an idiot for the pen shout. Touch inside away from Pope and it’s a pen and probably a red, or an open goal. Takes a shit touch that is probably going off, then jumps into him. 

Keepers are just a different breed when playing out from the back. Ramsdale got caught a couple of times earlier. Alisson had a howler against Madrid. I’m sure there are loads of examples. 

I still feel more confident with Pope between the sticks than probably any other keeper in my lifetime.