Nick Pope

Rich

Fucking love this bloke. That penalty save was certainly pivotal in the match and could be pivotal to the run-in. He's looking back to his early season self with the conviction in coming off his line, too. What a signing. 

9 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Saved us with that penalty save.  

Thoufht he could’ve done better on the 1st though. 

Agreed, watched it back and it seems his first instinct was that he could catch it and then he just sort of changed his mind a moment too late and palmed it straight out instead of pushing it out to the side. 
Massive save on the penalty though. 

Edited by ShakaHislop
Spelling

56 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Trippier was at fault for the 1st goal, poor defender. Pope will think he could have pushed it wider, no way did he think he could catch it. 

Not disagreeing, but how's Big Dan Burn (and Botman, to a lesser extent) escaping criticism here? 

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

Not disagreeing, but how's Big Dan Burn (and Botman, to a lesser extent) escaping criticism here? 

Aye, Trippier doesn't stop the cross then the runner ghosts in between Botman and Burn.

9 minutes ago, Rich said:

The RB isn't Burn's man, it's Isak's. Bamford is it? Beating Burn and Botman in the air is poor aye.

For such big lads, they aren't all that in the air.

Edited by The College Dropout

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

The RB isn't Burn's man, it's Isak's. Bamford is it? Beating Burn and Botman in the air is poor aye.

we could have done with having big Jamal in the squad.

9 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I mean there's absolutely no way you can expect Isak to be tracking Ayling all the way back to the edge of the 6 yeard box, he gets passed on way before that. Burn is at fault for it.

1 minute ago, huss9 said:

i didnt half shit meself when he kept racing out, but fuck me he made decent contact with each and every one of them.

I dont mind him racing out - when its within his box. When he races outside the box - then I get the heebie-jeebies.

Thankfully he doesnt do it to often.

1 minute ago, KDT said:

I mean there's absolutely no way you can expect Isak to be tracking Ayling all the way back to the edge of the 6 yeard box, he gets passed on way before that. Burn is at fault for it.

Yeh, of course, you can. Burn cannot simultaneously mark the winger and the fullback. That is called an overload, my friend.

I remember this article from a long time back https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/apr/30/tactics-jose-mourinho-chelsea-atletico-madrid

You'd expect with the height of Botman and Burn that they'd get on the end of a few of our corners but it rarely happens. Lascelles used to get on the end of a few and score a couple of goals 

Burn is terrible at attacking corners but this wasn't a surprise, we knew this from him at Brighton

Botman has been surprising, can't really recall him attacking too many, which considering how many corners we get is poor

I’ve come to think we’re using Botman as a player to occupy the main oppo defenders at corners. Botman rarely ever makes a run. He just wrestles with a CB or 2. I’m guesstiing other players are to meant run around him and make use of the space. It’s not happening though.

9 minutes ago, Lotus said:

I’ve come to think we’re using Botman as a player to occupy the main oppo defenders at corners. Botman rarely ever makes a run. He just wrestles with a CB or 2. I’m guesstiing other players are to meant run around him and make use of the space. It’s not happening though.

Yes, I believe that's the plan. It happens too often for it to be accidental, so I don't know how much I can blame him for his relative lack of overt contribution.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Yeh, of course, you can. Burn cannot simultaneously mark the winger and the fullback. That is called an overload, my friend.

I remember this article from a long time back https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/apr/30/tactics-jose-mourinho-chelsea-atletico-madrid

Would the winger going inside not be picked up by one of the centre halves with the problem being that Schar was dragged out of position initially?

My feeling at the time, and granted I haven't seen it since I watched the match on the day, was that it was poor from Trippier to let the cross come in, Botman and/or Burn should have dealt with the aerial ball, and then Isak shouldn't have stopped following in, which did for some reason. Sure, maybe Pope could have done a little better with where he pushes the ball, but of all the errors, he had no where near as much control over his as everyone else did over theirs. 

Guest reefatoon
1 hour ago, KDT said:

Ayling wasn’t Burns man at all, you can’t blame him for that man :lol:

Pope, Pope, Pope, Pope, Pope
Nicholas David, Nicholas David
Nicholas David Pope

34 minutes ago, KDT said:

Would the winger going inside not be picked up by one of the centre halves with the problem being that Schar was dragged out of position initially?

The problem was Trippier letting the cross in.

Botman gets trapped under the ball but his spacing looked ok.

Burn didn't anticipate the cross position at all and was easily beaten.

Pope can arguably tip that wide or out for a corner.

Isak didn't follow Ayling who scored. Ayling was Isak's man. He's a striker playing at LW after all. I made this point when he signed about him playing wide. He's never played without an actual wide midfielder tracking fullbacks.

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Isak didn't follow Ayling who scored. Ayling was Isak's man. He's a striker playing at LW after all. I made this point when he signed about him playing wide. He's never played without an actual wide midfielder tracking fullbacks.

Aye. Obviously hindsight is 20/20, but if we had setup with Joe on LW and either Wilson or Isak central I think we win the game. Joelinton would have followed Ayling in/already been back there, and then him being LW means he isn't there to give away the pen. Obviously this is where depth is an issue, because who the fuck plays CM in that scenario lol.

Edited by sushimonster85