Nick Pope: "on track" for return before end of season (Hope)

Rich

Pep got rid of Joe Hart of Joe Hart because of his weakness with the ball at his feet and I think Hart was England number 1 at the time. Modern day managers don't want to see the ball hoofed up the field, they want it passed out from the back

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Aiston said:

Some good saves and some shakey moments.

His distribution is awful a lot of the time, but pulls some brilliant saves. Sometimes when he’s pressured on the ball I close my eyes 

10 minutes ago, CheikBoom said:

His pen save was fantastic by the way. Dips right ever so slightly then dives left.

Sold Toney down the river.

Unlucky with the second , pulled us out of the crap a couple of times also

got lucky again when he came out. jumped up with his back turned and erm out - lucky again it hit him on the back.

he's brilliant but he's always inches from a red.

Edited by huss9

In the same way that I wasn’t surprised when Dubravka was upgraded, I wouldn’t be surprised if Pope was upgraded this Summer, although to a lesser degree I suppose. It’s less of a priority but he has looked very nervous since Liverpool. Hopefully he shakes it off over the Summer and resets.

He’s definitely lost confidence since Liverpool and he’s still not great with his feet, though improving/has improved, but let’s not forget he was at consistent levels higher than most/any of us had seen from any keeper until that game. He’s still got loads of credit in the bank.

Teams have clocked us a bit as well, I think, in that our press is lethal and our back four is seriously lacking in athleticism for the style we play, and are going so direct against us compared to earlier in the season. Even Liverpool and Man Utd played a lot of percentage balls against us, and Villa lived off them yesterday.

I feel like early on he was coming up with critical world-class saves a lot, but he was needed to sweep much less than he seems to be now, and he wasn’t being involved so much in general play by the outfielders. They would deal with stuff themselves or between themselves without going back to Pope.

Trippier and Schär still do, as much as they can, but Botman and Burn are struggling in that respect for me. Their quick, short use of the ball has been lacking and they struggle to get out of trouble on the dribble or with a turn at times, so the ball ends up with Pope. We want him having as few touches as possible.

Just another symptom of us somehow becoming a top-level PL team overnight, it’ll get sorted, but I hope Pope’s got a while left in him yet. We will reach a point where we can sign someone who does everything he does to a similar level but can also play, I’m sure, and it will give us another dimension. But that’ll cost about 5-8 Popes in the current market.