Nick Pope

Rich

1 minute ago, duo said:

Great shot stopper but isn't a sweeper keeper.

Hard to believe we had a run of ten or so clean sheets last season. As someone has already said, that red card against Liverpool has ruined him.

11 minutes ago, duo said:

Great shot stopper but isn't a sweeper keeper.

This is the most worrying thing for me though. For quite a while, even his shot stopping hasn't been "great". There was a graphic during the game where it showed that the last 40 games, first 20 games our shots saved % was 83, the second 20 games it's dropped pretty massively to 68%. 

We've always known he wasn't great with his feet but if he's not got a high shots saved percent either, then questions have to be asked. 

Just now, Aiston said:

The forum hates Dubravka, but would stick him in goal next game. Remind Pope there is actually competition.

Wouldn’t being dropped from the England squad be a kick up the backside already and being dropped by club as well a risk of knocking his confidence too much?

Just now, SAK said:

Wouldn’t being dropped from the England squad be a kick up the backside already and being dropped by club as well a risk of knocking his confidence too much?

He wasn't really much of a part of the England setup though, just fighting for #2 spot, not even #1.

I’m sure it’s all perception but I swear he gets smaller every game. Must be a confidence thing but he used to look like a giant between the sticks but now looks tiny.  

His kicking is a real problem and takes away a big outlet for our defenders who you can tell just don’t trust him anymore 

Great keeper in his own box as long as he’s not having to control the ball with his feet or distribute cleanly with his feet. Hasn’t been anywhere near as commanding at claiming crosses/corners so far this season which is a fairly big concern considering that’s amongst the best aspects of his game alongside shotstopping. Him leaving his box would be a good thing if he didn’t look absolutely terrified every time he does it

I assume when/if we make the upgrade to a true sweeper keeper, it will be a major upgrade to the way we play?

Thinking about the positives of having one, it seems ideal for the way play.

No hating on Pope, just very interested in how that style of keeper helps us.

3 hours ago, SAK said:

Think it has knocked his confidence.  

He’s always been a keeper that likes to come off his line. But Burnley played deep so while it happened it happened less. Now he’s dropped a clanger and is a bit unsure. 

Im still a big fan of the lad. No way should he be dropped.  

2 hours ago, gbandit said:

Great keeper in his own box as long as he’s not having to control the ball with his feet or distribute cleanly with his feet. Hasn’t been anywhere near as commanding at claiming crosses/corners so far this season which is a fairly big concern considering that’s amongst the best aspects of his game alongside shotstopping. Him leaving his box would be a good thing if he didn’t look absolutely terrified every time he does it

Aye even from crosses he’s been flappy.  Needs his confidence back. 

I think he's getting caught in wanting to play it cos he thinks in our sort of team, with those players he should, but doesn't have the confidence to do it. Hence wants to play it short to Trippier, doesn't have the confidence, decides late and panics the clearance. Just get him to make his mind up and fully commit to one or the other 

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

He gets stick when he puts it out of play, which can’t help. 

Tbf he had two options for the first goal. Pass to Trippier, or if he didn't have the confidence to do that, boot it out for a throw-in...he ended up doing one thing I've no explanation for. :lol:

One thing I first noticed about that first Simeone side. They would constantly put it into touch.  No risk. Put it into touch and then get back into shape and reorganise. We have a bit of that in us but we need to go back to basics.  Fans need to get on boats too. 
No fancy bullshit. Pope kicks it into touch. Everyone cheers. Team organises. 

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Tbf he had two options for the first goal. Pass to Trippier, or if he didn't have the confidence to do that, boot it out for a throw-in...he ended up doing one thing I've no explanation for. :lol:

Yeah, seemed like he almost changed his mind half through and tried for a long pass which he didn’t have the body position for. 

7 hours ago, 80 said:

The loyalty on display here is really inspiring. I agree he's not been the same since Liverpool, but the attitudes here stink.

And that’s reflected in attitudes across the board to players and management. Unfortunately it’s reflected across the fan base and will distance the players from the fans.

Pope was exposed as well be shocking defending and Tonaly being a right fanny for one of the goals.

Really don't want us to be the sort of fanbase that's impatiently up in arms to sell and move on whenever a player has a drop in form. That's exactly the typical sort of Man City fan behavior that we used to look down on.