Why do some games just have a special atmosphere?

Rich

Was driving into work this morning thinking about the atmosphere at the Arsenal game, and about the TV noise from the Man Utd game last season that I had to miss due to COVID, and started wondering if anyone had any theories as to why certain games at SJP just have a "special" atmosphere to them.

I think those two examples are quite easy to explain:

• Last home game, Wor Flags display, etc. for Arsenal despite nothing really much to play for.

• Man Utd is always tasty and we were very much in the shite at the time, but starting to believe.

But then I think back to other games I've been to in the past and the Sam Allardyce 1-1 against Arsenal always stands out to me, when the crowd and players were just totally up for it from the first whistle despite being outmatched everywhere and Allardyce clearly being on bided time.

There are probably other countless examples, so I'd love to hear about people's memories of random games that the crowd were just bang up for, and to hear some theories as to why that was the case.

Can it even be explained?

I remember that Arsenal one well and you're right, there was a really great atmosphere, even in spite of going a goal down early. In fact, maybe that was it; we went behind early but were playing alright and maybe the anticipation of an equaliser just built and built, and so did the atmosphere. Alan Smith leading the line like a late Shearer. 

The Spurs 2-2 in the 5th season is a similar example to that. Losing but playing well and a sense of injustice about being behind; really got the crowd going and a mutual sense of belief in the stands and on the pitch. 

I wonder how the intense booing and whistling when Man City visited in the same season ever happened and has never, to my knowledge, been replicated. It felt like we were in Athens or something, that day. 

10 minutes ago, bowlingcrofty said:

Night time games where a dodgy refereeing decision goes against us are peak atmosphere games. The Man City 2-2 game where we had an early sending off in 08/09 (I think) is a prime example.

Agree with this

That Liverpool game on the Friday night a couple of season ago was insane!!

Thinking through games with special atmospheres that I have witnessed. These factors spring to mind:

1. Significance of the points/cup progression (promotion, relegation, QF/SF/Final— three FA Cup semis, Portsmouth at home, Grimsby away in 1992 and 1993 [thank you David Kelly!] come to mind). 
2. Emotional significance of result — own back, in a small way on Man Utd in 1996 immediately springs to mind.

3. Excitement over opposition/delight at being there/where we were as a club. Barcelona at home, 1997 (night game too); Monaco at home UEFA QF. 
4. Specialness of an individual (showing love/release of tension)—Last home game of relegation season 2016, thumping a very good Spurs team who needed to win. Keegan’s first game as a player 1982. 
5. Tribalism—some best forgotten West Ham and Chelsea matches in 1980s (home and away) with all that came with them in those days. O’Brien ‘the elder’s’ goal at Joker in 1992. First win there I had seen, after brutal journey to the ground. 

39 minutes ago, Rich said:

Was driving into work this morning thinking about the atmosphere at the Arsenal game, and about the TV noise from the Man Utd game last season that I had to miss due to COVID, and started wondering if anyone had any theories as to why certain games at SJP just have a "special" atmosphere to them.

I think those two examples are quite easy to explain:

• Last home game, Wor Flags display, etc. for Arsenal despite nothing really much to play for.

• Man Utd is always tasty and we were very much in the shite at the time, but starting to believe.

But then I think back to other games I've been to in the past and the Sam Allardyce 1-1 against Arsenal always stands out to me, when the crowd and players were just totally up for it from the first whistle despite being outmatched everywhere and Allardyce clearly being on bided time.

There are probably other countless examples, so I'd love to hear about people's memories of random games that the crowd were just bang up for, and to hear some theories as to why that was the case.

Can it even be explained?

NWOAT ;)

Bit of a boring answer but truthfully I don't think it really can be explained yet. You're getting into the realms of neuroscience and the like of you really want to get into it.

It's interesting if you turn the question around - why are some games not special? Why are they flat, unmemorable, surrendered relatively easily? Same amount of points available at the end of the day, same risk of physical harm, so you'd think the same amount of pride would be at stake. But we know it isn't, somehow.

Bit random, and it might just be me, but Crystal Palace in the FA Cup 3rd round in 1998 comes to mind. Given got sent off early and Warren Barton had the game of his life at left back cum left wing. Turned around a deficit to win 2-1 and celebrations where I was in the underfilled Gallowgate were wild.

I think part of it comes from people - players and supporters alike - somehow gaining the sense of personal responsibility for the result. Stepping up from being opponents to combatants and spectators to supporters. The mind comes alive, and is far more resourceful and receptive to experience.

Edited by 80
Misremembering the match!

Night time matches, particularly against better opposition (and Man United and Arsenal inparticular) always have 'something in the air' imo.

Imo it's down to previous night time matches where there's been something in the air and we've beaten them or taken what's felt like a victory because the gap in quality between the teams. Conscious or not I think our support feeds on that, as well as the alcohol coursing through their veins. 

30 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Night time matches, particularly against better opposition (and Man United and Arsenal inparticular) always have 'something in the air' imo.

Imo it's down to previous night time matches where there's been something in the air and we've beaten them or taken what's felt like a victory because the gap in quality between the teams. Conscious or not I think our support feeds on that, as well as the alcohol coursing through their veins. 

I think that's more about evening games in general than anything specific to NUFC, if you think about the cliche of European games at Anfield for example, I don't think that would ever have been a thing if they were getting played on a Saturday afternoon, it's the night aspect rather than the European one that's the crucial factor.

There's been a tendency in the last 20 years due to policing concerns about alcohol to play derby fixtures in an early afternoon slot but there was an Old Firm game last season after a Covid suspension that they had to play on a Wednesday night (first in ten years to be played in the evening) and I could almost feel my telly shaking, it was absolutely fucking bouncing. I'd really like to see clubs and the authorities try and do this more instead of playing it safe and trying to make big fixtures more sterile.

When looking at English football, I think there should be a lot of regret around when looking at what Wor Flags have done for the atmosphere at SJP (and we've seen that somewhat replicated at other clubs already, thinking of Everton during their run-in). This kind of atmosphere should have been the case for years. 

Most ordinary matches I've attended feel more like a large group of individuals having separate experiences in a shared environment, lost in thought and their own observations of the events taking place on the pitch. However some games, like Arsenal last season, it felt like St James' was breathing as one collective body, that every person in the stadium was taken up out of themselves and became moving parts in something far greater.

I think it's interesting to talk about particular circumstances of why that can happen, and certain things will be contributing factors; but my sense is that it's ultimately unknowable and is something that sweeps through the streets and terraces prior to and during the game like a powerful invisible tide that you can't help but be carried by.

It's beautiful, and is the best thing about this sport in my opinion.

I have been to lots of games, including many that frequently get mentioned in threads like this, and I’m not entirely sure I’ve experienced a better atmosphere than that Man Utd game last December. 

There's a lot of obvious answers, but a less obvious one for me is "controversial refereeing decisions".

Always seems to get the crowd worked up when it seems like a ref is going to give us nothing and turns a blind eye to (what the crowd consider) a few blatant fouls by the opposition.

Just now, Chris_R said:

There's a lot of obvious answers, but a less obvious one for me is "controversial refereeing decisions".

Always seems to get the crowd worked up when it seems like a ref is going to give us nothing and turns a blind eye to (what the crowd consider) a few blatant fouls by the opposition.

Remember a game against Leeds, Christmas 2000, can’t actually remember the decision but the crowd actually rallied and contributed hugely to our eventual win 

Lots of reasons,

Chris-R and Hovagod above make great points and that Leeds game was a quality example, early goal against via dodgy referee decision, injury hit and underdogs to begin with which is where I was going  - adversity.

When we feel the team need us. The cliched 12th man.

The game I immediately thought of was Sheffield Wed first day 97/98, new suspect team, no Shearer, dodgy pre-season, without saying it, it started and we all showed we felt that way, the best performance under Dogleash kept it stoked too. Barcelona the same a few weeks later. Whereas Sheffield Wed and Metz the previous season was not like that.

Though under Keegan the atmosphere was usually at least very good despite having games in the bag at times, I put that down to the 'entertainers' unrelenting attacking football style where possession based modern dominance has the opposite effect

Edited by Wolfcastle

17 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Aye I was gonna say dodgy referees like. Some of the best atmospheres come from pure hatred 😀

2 hours ago, Chris_R said:

Agreed 

loudest game I have ever been to was when I was 5 years old 

Home v Brighton (in the cup I think) 

Referee disallowed two Newcastle goals and gave them every decision 

crowd noise was insane , I was physically shaking !!

one of my first ever games 

never heard noise like it , sure Keegan and varadi , McDermott were all playing 

Edited by JonBez comesock

Night time games or some sort of injustice from the referee/away team usually makes it a great atmosphere

The atmosphere from being 2 down, missing a penalty and Pickford still being on the pitch to winning 3-2 against Everton under Rafa was incredible