James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

4 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

I don’t see Leicester selling for less than £40m. But if they’re relegated, the need to balance the books becomes more important and this means they’ll have to negotiate. I don’t see them going down though so he may end up staying another year and leaving on a free

6 months ago someone like Murphy would have been a great bargaining tool but he's here to stay now. Maybe Ryan Fraser would be a good signing for them in the Championship?

He's a great player but I'm not getting emotionally attached to transfer targets anymore. I'll not be arsed if he does go to Spurs but I think it would be a daft move from a career point of view. I can't see Spurs moving forward it just seems like they're stuck and even due a Chelsea or Liverpool like drop down the league. But I suppose if he's wanting to.live in London and gets enough money to make him happy that can count as much as footballing success. 

7 hours ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

Craig hope was very confident that it’s over for us as he wants to go south.  (Back pages tonight - sky sports)

I've been seeing some Spurs links so that tracks. 

I’m sure Rice will go to Arsenal. But I’ve said a few times on here, I think he’d make us even better than Maddison. Would be over the moon with either. 

Both are probably a bit beyond us right now. But I don’t think it’ll be long until we are signing that calibre of English player. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

1 hour ago, Schecter said:

He's a great player but I'm not getting emotionally attached to transfer targets anymore. I'll not be arsed if he does go to Spurs but I think it would be a daft move from a career point of view. I can't see Spurs moving forward it just seems like they're stuck and even due a Chelsea or Liverpool like drop down the league. But I suppose if he's wanting to.live in London and gets enough money to make him happy that can count as much as footballing success. 

If he does go to Spurs then we’ll get someone of equal/better quality from elsewhere. The exciting thing now is knowing that every addition will improve either the first XI or the squad in some way.

We’re lucky at the moment that we only really have Almiron injured, but it’s only three or four games since we had 4 left backs on the bench.

1 hour ago, LV said:

Depends who the new manager of Spurs is I guess and whether he wants Maddison. 

I think given they have tried the big names and had no success, I think they will bring in a levy yes man now. Levy probably fancies madison as on paper he should be a bargain price wise. Seems Leicester don’t get that part though. 

I see a lot of posts in here about how Maddison "wouldn't fit with how we play" and "won't work in our system". I think people are forgetting that EH is a fucking tactical genius and, if we did sign him, would get the best out of him. Also, do people actually think we will always play the same way, all the time, forever? Howay man, teams, tactics and coaching evolves constantly.

We will evolve under EH as well, he knows if we don't, we effectively stand still, particularly when teams catch on. Because we currently play a high energy, high pressing 4-3-3 without a 10, doesn't mean we won't ever play without a 10, or find ways to effectively utilize elegant creative players, which Maddison certainly is.

Guest reefatoon
1 hour ago, buzza said:

I think we may well go to a 4231 next season with a much more defensive cm in there for games where opposition use a low block.

would convert to a 3-1-4-2 in attack

Cant see us ditching our formation that has us 3rd with the best defensive record in the league at all. Why would we?

Edited by reefatoon

2 hours ago, LionOfGosforth said:

I see a lot of posts in here about how Maddison "wouldn't fit with how we play" and "won't work in our system". I think people are forgetting that EH is a fucking tactical genius and, if we did sign him, would get the best out of him. Also, do people actually think we will always play the same way, all the time, forever? Howay man, teams, tactics and coaching evolves constantly.

We will evolve under EH as well, he knows if we don't, we effectively stand still, particularly when teams catch on. Because we currently play a high energy, high pressing 4-3-3 without a 10, doesn't mean we won't ever play without a 10, or find ways to effectively utilize elegant creative players, which Maddison certainly is.

I used to be in this camp - that Maddison wouldn’t fit in our system but you’re dead right.

On 05/04/2023 at 17:49, Optimistic Nut said:

6 months ago someone like Murphy would have been a great bargaining tool but he's here to stay now. Maybe Ryan Fraser would be a good signing for them in the Championship?

Weird thing to say as he’s our leading goal scorer but we’re playing better without him in the team

When we play with a lone striker who drops deep and takes part in the build-up such as Isak, then it is crucial for one of the midfielders or the inverted wingers to have good goalscoring abilities and exploit the spaces and chances created by Isak dropping deep. Someone has to push forward when Isak leaves that space upfront, and they better have a good eye for the goal. Players such as Maddison can fill that role perfectly in the midfield. I mean he scored 12 league goals last season. 

But I agree with those who pointed out how his injury record could really bite us, since our style of play just increases the likelihood of injuries just for anyone. I don’t know what Eddie and Ashworth think of that. 

Edited by Solitude20

5 hours ago, reefatoon said:

Cant see us ditching our formation that has us 3rd with the best defensive record in the league at all. Why would we?

Surely it’s not the formation that’s important it’s the players playing in that formation. If have different players one may well play a formation that suits he different line up better. 

I thought this before this week, but especially after seeing him against us this week, I reckon Harvey Barnes would be a better buy than Maddison.

I'm talking in general terms here, not in terms of what you need in your squad.

Edited by brummie

Guest reefatoon
2 hours ago, Lotus said:

Surely it’s not the formation that’s important it’s the players playing in that formation. If have different players one may well play a formation that suits he different line up better. 

Naa don’t agree with that like. The formation is massively important. The players have bought into Howes philosophy of how he wants to play the game and he will want players that work in his system. You don’t do it the other way around.