James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

Just noticed Winks is going to Leicester for £10m so they've effectively only paid £30m cash and offloaded someone not good enough the other way.

Imagine if we'd managed to get him for £30m plus say Hayden and Hendrick man. :lol:

Levy's played a blinder here. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

52 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

He’s not a cute passer like a Maddison or even Bruno. We need a creative player imo whether CM or RW. And we need to be functional without Bruno.  Tonali’s a better passer than the others but I still think we need other options to progress in midfield. Imo anyway. 

Yes I think we’ll sign an attacker for that very reason mate. We need more creativity and goal threat 👍

3 hours ago, Dokko said:

Quite happy he's not coming here. Never really rated him and get Wed have to fit him in. He'll go missing at spurs after a good start. He doesn't have the mentality to survive there or succeed here. 

Glad it's over. Good luck to him.

It’s obvious he’s not the right fit for our intense pressing style , good player no doubt but not the right fit for us and Eddie obviously knew this .

1 hour ago, madras said:

We have him basically as a 6. With Tonali he has more license to go forward or be an 8.

And yeah we do have a need for a cute pass, even with Bruno pushed further forward. I'm sure we are looking for it as Maddison isn't the only one and they'll be able to press as well.

There was a decent article in the Athletic today, that Bruno doesn't actually do that well when pushed further forward, and it may actually be Tonali who plays in the number 8 position. The theory being that Bruno gets more time to pick out the passes when he's playing deeper, and Tonali is quite used to operating further up the pitch.

In reality they are both box to box so I would think the situation would be quite fluid. But we do still need someone as part of the attack who will provide the absolute quality end product from the right side. You could argue the left side as well tbh, if you consider Isak's main role to be the striker.

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

:lol: So weird when people get this het-up about threads/forum organisation, particularly transfer-related threads during the transfer window. Like it's somehow obstructing the many hot topics and pressing football discussions you get in late June. 

Main football forum would be a laugh in the summer if we had a separate transfer forum :lol:

Alex Mac Allister to Liverpool for 35m and James Maddison to Spurs for 40m appear to be the deals of the window so far. I wonder if we made any attempt at Mac Allister at all.  City would have bid Maddison up to 50m if they were in our place. 

36 minutes ago, TRon said:

There was a decent article in the Athletic today, that Bruno doesn't actually do that well when pushed further forward, and it may actually be Tonali who plays in the number 8 position. The theory being that Bruno gets more time to pick out the passes when he's playing deeper, and Tonali is quite used to operating further up the pitch.

In reality they are both box to box so I would think the situation would be quite fluid. But we do still need someone as part of the attack who will provide the absolute quality end product from the right side. You could argue the left side as well tbh, if you consider Isak's main role to be the striker.

I can see us mixing things up a bit next season, double pivot at times.

Moussa Diaby would be good against the better teams and when we are in transition. I prefer a technical creative flair type of player with decent pace. One that can be really effective against teams that sit back as well as against the better teams. We will have to evolve to progress even further. Have more versatility as a team in general. Diaby is good but I don’t think he is the one for us. He would also cost a bomb. 

Just now, Displayname said:

40m sounds like a pretty sweet deal, but do we know anything about his contract and sign on fee? 

The purchase price may not be the most expensive part of the deal.

be some contract he’s got if it’s costing more than £40m

7 hours ago, Beth said:

Anyone who thinks they've overpaid at that price is wrong. Wages are another matter of course if he's on the reported just under 200k a week.

I meant that because the fee was so low, we must not have been interested in the first place. Because 40 million is a steal