James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

1 minute ago, HawK said:

Beginning to think that this window is very much a statement window from the owners. We won't overpay what we think a target is worth, and if it means going into the season a bit weaker than we like, so be it. Short term, and as a fan, that's a bit painful, but long term it's obviously best for the club.

Is it though? Would it be better for the club to actually be stronger on the pitch, so we don't have to keep doing this every year? A higher league position makes it easier to attract players, it gives more prize money to pay for said players, more fan interest etc etc.

I know it's a fine balance, but if (massive IF) the press are to be believed, trying to save ourselves £7m-£10m at this stage on a team changing player seems a bit counter-productive.

But still, it's all speculation.

4 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Is it though? Would it be better for the club to actually be stronger on the pitch, so we don't have to keep doing this every year? A higher league position makes it easier to attract players, it gives more prize money to pay for said players, more fan interest etc etc.

I know it's a fine balance, but if (massive IF) the press are to be believed, trying to save ourselves £7m-£10m at this stage on a team changing player seems a bit counter-productive.

But still, it's all speculation.

Well, from the perspective of pure finances and potential FFP restrictions, yes it is in my opinion. For example, if we show we're happy to pay 60m for Maddison this window, it'll only reinforce to clubs in future windows not to accept anything but their top valuations for players.

5 minutes ago, HawK said:

Well, from the perspective of pure finances and potential FFP restrictions, yes it is in my opinion. For example, if we show we're happy to pay 60m for Maddison this window, it'll only reinforce to clubs in future windows not to accept anything but their top valuations for players.

But again, it's speculating on what his value actually is. If we value ASM at £40m how would you feel if we sold him for £30m? 

Someone used Man City as the example yesterday, whilst completely ignoring that their squad is good enough to allow them to walk away from players. We're not in that position at the moment. I'm pretty certain Man City massively overspent on players on their way to the top, but now they can be a lot more frugal.

While I can understand we need to show we aren't going to be a walkover for transfer negotiations, I do think if there's a chance to land a really elite player for a fair price, then sometimes you just have to pay it. £60m isn't outrageous for Maddison, he's probably worth it.

8 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

But again, it's speculating on what his value actually is. If we value ASM at £40m how would you feel if we sold him for £30m? 

Someone used Man City as the example yesterday, whilst completely ignoring that their squad is good enough to allow them to walk away from players. We're not in that position at the moment. I'm pretty certain Man City massively overspent on players on their way to the top, but now they can be a lot more frugal.

i can't disagree with either point, I'm not saying I'm right, just my observation on what I think they're doing and my opinion of why. It's seemingly a continuation of policy established early on, and affected our January window immensley when we wouldn't pay escalating fees for Botman etc.

Just now, HawK said:

i can't disagree with either point, I'm not saying I'm right, just my observation on what I think they're doing and my opinion of why. It's seemingly a continuation of policy established early on, and affected our January window immensley when we wouldn't pay escalating fees for Botman etc.

I don't disagree regarding what they're doing or why, I'm just saying in my extremely humble opinion, it's probably the wrong thing to do in this case (if it's happening). I think it needs to be done on a player by player basis. Unfortunately we were left in a position in January where Burnley had our pants down but let's hope we're not in that position ever again. I never actually want us to overpay for players, but we need to pay the asking price for the special players imo.

I thought it might happen, and still do but that's coz I'm an old romantic (deluded idiot) who looks on the bright side of these things.

The deal was always going to be difficult to do. I take heart from the fact we are still targeting quality players.

We've signed some crackers so far.

Elite players; Botman, Bruno and Trippier

Good players; Burn, Targett, Pope

Yes we signed Wood, who is average at this level but I doubt we will dip into that zone again.

Nickson and Ashworth getting drunk into the early hours

”Just don’t know where to turn now, just feel like packing the whole thing in. You just wonder sometimes, is it all worth it? I dunno, maybe it’s just the drink talking”

9 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

I don't disagree regarding what they're doing or why, I'm just saying in my extremely humble opinion, it's probably the wrong thing to do in this case (if it's happening). I think it needs to be done on a player by player basis. Unfortunately we were left in a position in January where Burnley had our pants down but let's hope we're not in that position ever again. I never actually want us to overpay for players, but we need to pay the asking price for the special players imo.

For what it's worth, as a fan, I agree with you. I have faith that in the long term we'll be fine, we're in good hands.

1 minute ago, STM said:

Yes we signed Wood, who is average at this level but I doubt we will dip into that zone again.

Yeah, this was extremely circumstance-specific. I think we saw the potential damage to a rival and we saw a player who had a very clear identity and history in the league. We know for sure based on everything associated with Howe that he’s not the type of player Howe would ordinarily go for. We also know that Howe is incredibly meticulous and so are people like Ashworth so we’ll never make another Wood signing. Not saying we won’t make mistakes but nothing like that 

4 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

As if we're "not even entirely sure what the next step is" :lol:

Ashworth in his office scratching his head.

It's not very well worded but it's not inconceivable that we are undecided about either going in with another bid or whether we just move on.

Although the way he's worded it suggests Ashworth is just wandering around with a dazed look on his face [emoji38]