James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

I see it more of a request than a hint, this is probably more of a threat to any deal...

If we lost out on Maddison as a result of acting too slowly and allowing Chelsea to sign Fofana it would be tough to take.

I would assume we'll hear something tomorrow regarding our pursuit of Maddison either in terms of an increased bid or withdrawing our interest.

1 minute ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

If we lost out on Maddison as a result of acting too slowly and allowing Chelsea to sign Fofana it would be tough to take.

I would assume we'll hear something tomorrow regarding our pursuit of Maddison either in terms of an increased bid or withdrawing our interest.

Don’t think it’s a case of us being to slow, more we weren’t willing to match their asking price.

2 minutes ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if our ‘new style’ of negotiation was to leave our ‘best and final’ offer with them (with whoever) rather than withdraw anything. Leaving things open/not chucking the dummy is a potentially more successful strategy. If there’s a late change of heart then great. If such a change comes too late and we’ve moved on then tough shit. 

6 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Don’t think it’s a case of us being to slow, more we weren’t willing to match their asking price.

Sorry, I meant it would be frustrating if we are wiling to go to the asking price but are taking our time to get the best deal only to miss out as a result of Chelsea signing a completely different player.

Wasn't a criticism of the club.

Edited by PlymouthGeordie

With all respect to Leicester as well, why would Maddison/his agent even want a new deal with them right now? The cool thing for players to do these days is to run their contracts down and get an insane offer somewhere else. And as much ad I've loved to see Leicester competing with the Super League 6 over the last few years, there's absolutely no guarantee that they will be able to stay at that level over the next 3-5 years. 

I’m not going to get hysterical over some random tweet but yes that’s been hinted at that it’s a possibility that he’s been after a better contract. I don’t see this as being the case.

1) If that was the case, the agent would be burning his bridges with us. Lots of future deals potentially.

2) We’ve been given encouragement to bid, we need to do more to make it happen. That’s on us. If we don’t agree a fee and leave it at that, we (us forum folk) shouldn’t take it personally if he gets a better contract at Leicester.

3) Dan Ashworth has been involved in this and it would be a bad look if this went tits up. He wasn’t there for the Ekitike fiasco but collectively the whole thing of not landing targets could also be put back on Steve Nickson who had drawn up the lists.

1 hour ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

No idea if this guy has inside knowledge but he's hinting a new deal has been signed in this tweet (he works at talksport and is a Leicester fan).

Heard similar that he's hoping the Nufc interest will trigger a Spurs bid? God knows what their agents tell them.

1 hour ago, mighty__mag said:

Heard similar that he's hoping the Nufc interest will trigger a Spurs bid? God knows what their agents tell them.

Does he start at Spurs? If his goal is to make the England squad, he’ll need minutes.

I know Transfermarkt's valuations are not gospel, but Leicester's top four most valuable players on there all have deals that expire in 2023 or 2024. Most valuable is actually Fofana, but you get my point. They're in a bad situation with their existing players, never mind how much money is or isn't available to spend on new ones. 

Just one point on the graph, but the Liverpool approach to this problem was first sell the less important player (Mane) and with him out of the way, then break their wage structure to re-sign the crucial one (Salah). Clearout, then begrudgingly pay the players you must keep whatever it takes. Unfortunately for them, Leicester have completely lost control of Tielemans, who looks like he'll go for peanuts whenever Arsenal or someone can be bothered to bid. The lack of rush about it suggests there will be no price war, and that Leicester will not get any usuable funds from it until very late in the window.

Lingard has just proved how much money you can get as a free agent. It's a big incentive for players to not re-sign deals.

1 hour ago, Zero said:

If I am Leicester I would sell Fofana for 75m and keep Maddison. 75m has to be very close to Fofanas ceiling.

If I'm Maddison I don't re-sign. Certainly not anytime soon. He will be coming up 28 when the contract is up. One big move left in him to the next level with a giant cash reward for loyalty bonus and signing on when out of contract. I don't know why he would take a new contract right now. Wait and see how Leicester fare. If they are cash strapped can they really give him a huge pay rise?

They apparently want 80 for Fofana. If he has another good season Maybe they will want more. He is tied down to 2027. Maybe it's a risk not taking 75m or so now but so is not selling Maddison for the most they will get for him. It will go down with each window while Fofana will likely still be rated the same price for a year or two.

7 hours ago, Dancing Brave said:

Shhhhh don't tell anyone you heard this here.

This transfer may...or may not happen.

It may be for about £53 million...or not.

It will or won't be confirmed on Friday about tea-time.

Every single journalist will say they knew it would go ahead or it won't.

When James signs..or doesn't, he will tell everyone how great a club Leicester..or Newcastle United is.

Twitter will go mental, just the same as it does every day.

With talents like yours you should try a career in sports journalism.

Wouldn't at all be surprised to have no more news about potential signings whether that be Maddison or someone new until after the Forrest game.

Obviously these transfer dealings don't necessarily immediately involve the players or coaching staff but I can imagine they'll want all focus on Saturday for the next couple of days without any potential distractions in the news (even if work is going on in the background).

6 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

This maybe true but I’ll wait for a proper source. 

The express is legit shit tier. 

I clicked on and was greeted by ‘Breaking News: Strictly Come Dancing line-up announced’ 

Fuck off