Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

Athletic has some great stuff but can really feel like fan service at times if that makes sense. They just see which way the fan opinion is blowing and match it. Like every time a new manager is appointed, if the fans like them there won’t be a single negative thing written. The did an article like this on Lamps last season which bordered on propaganda.

anyway…Lukaku linked in this morning’s gossip column…calico mercato…can be dismissed

Edited by GeordieDazzler

3 hours ago, Memphis said:

Apart from Ornstein, who is their transfers/breaking news lead, The Athletic tends to want their writers to write more detailed, nuanced pieces. They're not trying to sell daily papers, they're trying to sell long-term subscriptions. So they tend to want analysis pieces, interviews, profiles, etc. rather than strictly news stories. 

I say this with some experience as I used to write for them here in the States. It is a little different for the UK department, of course, but the overall culture is similar. The remit at the Athletic is quite different than in other places I wrote.

I'd judge them differently, as they're not trying to break news, especially on individual transfers. And they generally don't. 

Yeah I don’t read the athletic for breaking transfer stories. Waugh/Caulkins in depth pieces are quality imo.

Gordon, Ashby in it seems. 

Dare I say we’re looking at a good window. Go get a midfielder and I’m over the moon. 

Saw a link in the Mirror to Sander Berge at Sheff Utd. Would love that FM wonder kid of years gone by to be a Newcastle player. 

9 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

Gordon, Ashby in it seems. 

Dare I say we’re looking at a good window. Go get a midfielder and I’m over the moon. 

Saw a link in the Mirror to Sander Berge at Sheff Utd. Would love that FM wonder kid of years gone by to be a Newcastle player. 

Would be a really sensible signing imo.

Addressed the lack of options and depth with the Gordon and Ashby signings. 

Still think CM was the area that needed improvement the most. So it would be a bit disappointing if we didn’t get someone in there. But probably done until the summer now. 

I suppose ASM getting back to form and fitness, plus Gordon coming in. Means Joelinton/Willock can go back into

CM. Plus with Shelvey coming back and Anderson as back up. They might think we are covered, for now. 

2 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

A midfielder in and Anderson out on loan + Fraser/Murphy out would be the ideal ending to the window

Fraser is probably the likely candidate. Bad timing with Shelvey as well, I’d say he’d have been a candidate to move on if he was not injured.

4 minutes ago, christ said:

Aren’t Sheff United under transfer embargo? Might need a fee to get out of it.

Yes, wouldn’t be able to replace him and they are in a great spot for promotion. 

Liverpool and Chelsea linked earlier this month.

14 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

A midfielder in and Anderson out on loan + Fraser/Murphy out would be the ideal ending to the window

99.99999% agree with you and Murphys got some stuck from me but in the Southampton game and watching miggy try to cut in all game with no success then Murphy came on, ran down the wing and whipped a ball in right across the 6 yard line of the box gave me a little food for thought.

14 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

99.99999% agree with you and Murphys got some stuck from me but in the Southampton game and watching miggy try to cut in all game with no success then Murphy came on, ran down the wing and whipped a ball in right across the 6 yard line of the box gave me a little food for thought.

Not disagreeing with your overall point but it just adds to my mild frustration that we don’t swap our wingers during the game and not always have them playing inverted.

23 minutes ago, frankpingel said:

Ritchie still clinging on is unbelievable. Thought he'd definitely go this window. Fraser is ahead of Ritchie and more talk of him and Murphy going.

Ritchie is a huge presence around the club and in the dressing room. When you get down to Ritchie vs Fraser you’re arguing over who is getting the last spot on the bench, so you’re probably looking at other attributes too.