Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

2 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Hard to overstate how class a signing Rice would be. Casemiro to Man Utd is the closest example I can think of. 

Have to think he’ll end up somewhere like Chelsea though. 

He does feel connected to London, Chelsea feels like his only option.

Wrongly he’ll go there and potentially not win anything.

12 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

As someone in CM who is an almost guaranteed success and one of the best in the world in his position. Non?

You think Declan Rice is one of the best in the world? I would pick Kalvin Phillips over him any day, and that’s just English players.

24 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

As someone in CM who is an almost guaranteed success and one of the best in the world in his position. Non?

Wait, what? Rice? Declan Rice? He's good, but he's not one of the best in the world. Not even close.

7 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Wait, what? Rice? Declan Rice? He's good, but he's not one of the best in the world. Not even close.

Well I mean, obvs this is a matter of opinion. But he's one of the best DMs in the "best league in the world", so that's a start. 

3 minutes ago, Joseph said:

Dead end discussion because it’s not going to happen, but Rice is very obviously a far superior footballer to Kalvin Phillips.

Yeah, feels like a bit of a waste seeing as we're not getting either, but I agree Rice is better than Phillips. That being said, I wouldn't rate Rice as one of the best in the world in his position. He's good, but not quite that level. Bruno for one is a far more accomplished/well rounded CM. 

2 hours ago, buzza said:

Somebody mentioned earlier that a CM who can receive the ball and make the half turn towards the opposition´s half (in the same moment) is what i think eddie is looking for, as well as being tenacious and technically competent (maintains position).

For quick transitions and more vertical play you need this type of player, both bruno and Jow do this a lot of the time.

I think Rice complies with everything but the positive turn towards the opposition, he  makes a sideways or backwards pass the majority of the time.

I think that's a good point. When Bruno is receiving the ball under pressure, he often seems to be looking at ways of turning that to his advantage, like a matador. He'll see what space has opened up and how he can feed into it. Sometimes, my heart's in my mouth when I watch him, but most of the time it comes off. 

Rice has his qualities, but he's not fast or nimble, and when closed down, the ball often goes sideways or backwards like you say. A midfield player in that position sees a lot of the ball, and it's a big asset if they can get it forward accurately and quickly. That's why I prefer Phillips to Rice. 

Rice is a good, strong athlete, and when he has time and space, he can carry the ball forward. But he worries about losing the ball (understandably, with only the back four behind him) and he seems to lack the nerve. 

Apropos of nothing, Alexis Mac Allister and Moises Caicedo were both signed by Brighton with Dan Ashworth at the helm. Now they are World Cup breakout stars and worth tens of millions more. I'd love to see how we'd scout and the unknowns we will turn into superstars in three or four years time! Ashworth's scouting, plus Howe's management has incredible potential.

31 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I think that's a good point. When Bruno is receiving the ball under pressure, he often seems to be looking at ways of turning that to his advantage, like a matador. He'll see what space has opened up and how he can feed into it. Sometimes, my heart's in my mouth when I watch him, but most of the time it comes off. 

Rice has his qualities, but he's not fast or nimble, and when closed down, the ball often goes sideways or backwards like you say. A midfield player in that position sees a lot of the ball, and it's a big asset if they can get it forward accurately and quickly. That's why I prefer Phillips to Rice. 

Rice is a good, strong athlete, and when he has time and space, he can carry the ball forward. But he worries about losing the ball (understandably, with only the back four behind him) and he seems to lack the nerve. 

Bruno is very modern in that he is a press breaker. Teams find it difficult to press against us the way we do because of it. 

3 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Hard to overstate how class a signing Rice would be. Casemiro to Man Utd is the closest example I can think of. 

Have to think he’ll end up somewhere like Chelsea though. 

There aren’t many dms in world football I’d take over Rice tbh. 

4 hours ago, Mountain said:

Rice is suffering under Moyes and Southgate.

His development has stalled.

You can really tell his formative years have been spent under Moyes. His general technical play/ability to be progressive (as mentioned above) really isn't up to the standard it should be.

3 minutes ago, Magpie said:

Plays for bottom of the league Angers, surely bagged himself a decent move

Apparently Leicester have put in a £39m bid, but I think bigger clubs will be looking at him (hopefully us!)

1 minute ago, Caleb70 said:

Apparently Leicester have put in a £39m bid, but I think bigger clubs will be looking at him (hopefully us!)

I thought Leicester owners had pulled the plug on the money, are they expecting someone to leave…?

1 minute ago, FLUMPO235 said:

I thought Leicester owners had pulled the plug on the money, are they expecting someone to leave…?

Didn't know that, hopefully Maddison will be entering NE1 postcode in his sat nav in January.