Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

Just now, Cronky said:

I don't think Rice is sufficiently better than the CMs that we already have, to make it worth the fee, which would be huge. 

Longstaff is improving game by game, which is a further consideration.

He would be a massive upgrade and allow Bruno to play higher up. 

47 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Rice is a far better player than Longstaff will ever be.

I think that's putting it way too strongly, especially when Longstaff is emerging from a very diffident period in his development. And there's Anderson waiting for his chance.

Howe could encourage Rice to be a more positive force, but with all the names that get linked with Rice, ours never seems to figure. I suspect that Howe doesn't see him as worth the money, given the other priorities.

There are other areas of the team which are more cost effective to improve. We don't really have a player like Maddison or Pulisic, and we need a third striker to replace Wood.

58 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Rice is a far better player than Longstaff will ever be.

Yeah, I know they got compared a lot during Longstaff's breakthrough season under Rafa, and back then it may have been closer, but today Rice is a much better CM than Longstaff. I like Sean Longstaff. I'm pleased he has really kicked on under Eddie, and I think thanks to being from the academy he will likely be in the squad for a good while, but lets be realistic with his level. Rice would be a huge step up. Even Kalvin Philips who was linked to us before he went to City would be a decent step up. 

5 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Am I the only one not convinced by him at all? Can't work out what position he's supposed to play - and not in a good way.

Seen a couple of games now where he's gone completely missing. Only going like and there's plenty of potential there.

You could get better midfielders for a fraction of what Rice would cost abroad. He really is a mystery to me, I’ve seen people putting him in their WC team of the tournament. I don’t see what others are seeing.

Edited by Kimbo

3 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

You could get better midfielders for a fraction of what Rice would cost abroad. He really is a mystery to me, I’ve seen people putting him in their WC team of the tournament. I don’t see what others are seeing.

I’m not as far a long as you but I’m not seeing that price tag either. 

I thought he was a good defensive midfielder in the tournament but for that price tag there’s got to be more than that. There was a good thread on twitter that I can’t find now about how he takes up poor positions to receive the ball and that’s pretty key for that role in my opinion. 

I don’t think he advances the ball particularly well either. 

10 minutes ago, St1pe said:

I thought he was a good defensive midfielder in the tournament but for that price tag there’s got to be more than that. There was a good thread on twitter that I can’t find now about how he takes up poor positions to receive the ball and that’s pretty key for that role in my opinion. 

If we’re talking about Rice he sometimes takes up the McTominay position of being unavailable for an easy pass. Almost always plays it back where it’s came from too.

Bruno when receiving the ball short will always try and turn/have a pass in mind before taking the ball.

14 minutes ago, St1pe said:

Eddie's success with a midfield which has no defensive midfield players does prompt a bit of a debate anyway. The current trend is for a high press winning the ball upfield, so how valuable is the sort of defensive midfield player who just acts as a shield to the back four, like another centre back? 

Rice strikes me as a hybrid CB/DM, and whilst he's a good version of that type, I'd like us to go for someone with more pace and mobility, if we go for a DM at all. That young Argentinian lad who we've been linked with seemed a better fit.

And besides, the prices I've seen touted for Rice have been around £100m. Given where our priorities lie, and given our finances, that's surely not worth it.