Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

Rice actually has some decent pace no? Which would make more than happy to place Bruno in an 8 role. But as of now I’ve yet to feel comfortable with any 6 being signed that would allow for Bruno to move up field as I’m just not sure our pressing will be as good. 

Somebody mentioned earlier that a CM who can receive the ball and make the half turn towards the opposition´s half (in the same moment) is what i think eddie is looking for, as well as being tenacious and technically competent (maintains position).

For quick transitions and more vertical play you need this type of player, both bruno and Jow do this a lot of the time.

I think Rice complies with everything but the positive turn towards the opposition, he  makes a sideways or backwards pass the majority of the time.

Rice has sixth most touches in the league and most passes into the final third, two stats which Trippier is very high in.

I'm pretty sure he's very high, as in top or near-top, in "progressive carries", basically carrying the ball forward. His defensive stats are also excellent.

It's the kind of signing who would make us less reliant on Trippier while still playing a defensive LB, possibly to unleash Maxi or Isak at LW.

Absolutely no chance we’d get Rice. We’re a few years away from spending the kind of money that’d take and convincing players to actually sign.

FWIW, I also think that we’ll continue to buy the “right” type of player and not who the media hype up. 

Would love Maddison, Gapko is probably destined for a bigger club than us and I looked at Leoa thinking he looks raw with massive potential only to realise that so does everyone else and he’d cost upwards of 90M.

Further back into midfield it wouldn’t take that much to upgrade Shelvey or Longstaff and not having a go at either of them, a sensible upgrade could make a significant improvement.

I imagine he'll go elsewhere even if we tried, but for how much Rice would probably cost I also imagine the club would see better value in spreading that kind of money across two other targets at this stage in the team's development.

I wouldn't argue if we get him by any means but I won't feel like we've lost out hugely if we can't/aren't interested. 

30 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Where has all this Rice talk come from? Feels like it's been going on a few pages now without any real concrete link/source. 

Its the way we do things round here. He will have his own thread shortly...

Maddison is not so different from Rice as a signing, except maybe for contract situation. Both very hyped English players at rival PL clubs. 

Not saying we can/will pay him what he wants and he would choose us anyway, obvs. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Rice is a better player than a lot of people are giving him credit for.

Miles better than Longstaff

:lol: Just a bit. 

He's about 7 times the player that Longstaff is, don't think anyone would even compare them. 

9 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

:lol: Just a bit. 

He's about 7 times the player that Longstaff is, don't think anyone would even compare them. 

You seemed to be comparing signing Rice to signing Casemiro earlier tbf, which is even more crazy.