Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

3 hours ago, morpeth mag said:

Conor Gallagher 

Looked well off it since going back to Chelsea, hasn't taken any if his many chances he had there at the start if the season. They'll still be asking a bomb for him as they want to make up for their spending spree.

3 hours ago, LFEE said:

Thought he was good in the league game too. I only thought of him as a cheaper alternative after MS was mentioned. I still think a Kovacic type midfielder is what we need personally.

He was, but this was more evident since O'Neil took over, Billing has now been playing more advanced and linking with forwards, with Huddersfield and the way previous managers used him, he was more of a CM or CDM type. I can't imagine Bournemouth would part with an important player to them, and a player they will need to help them stay in the league, however for us, we need to aim higher, without trying to sound arrogant. I'd swap Longstaff for him, but not Willock if that doesn't sound too random, but it also makes me then think he's not an upgrade on anyone he's just a squad addition. 

Edited by mighty__mag

9 hours ago, andyc35i said:

You’d think Chelsea will be getting rid of some players given all the spending. He doesn’t seem to be in the first team picture when half the midfield is injured 

They won’t need him next season for their home grown quota either.

Liverpool continue to implode as do Chelsea, we can match Man U and we’re better than Spurs. Just wonder whether this helps push through a couple of deals this window to make us stronger and try and cement a top four push.

Edited by ExiledGeordie

I know they say we’re ahead of the plan and that they prepare for 2 or 3 windows in advance, but I’ll be staggered if they’re not seriously considering a couple of signings to help the top 4 push. Getting CL this year would be transformative not just for the type of player we could attract, but also the sponsorship opportunities we could develop. It’s a lot harder to argue about “market value” when you could be in and amongst the big boys come September.

It wouldn’t surprise me to see the chairman fly over in the days ahead of the semi final second leg, which is also deadline day.

1 minute ago, bowlingcrofty said:

I know they say we’re ahead of the plan and that they prepare for 2 or 3 windows in advance, but I’ll be staggered if they’re not seriously considering a couple of signings to help the top 4 push. Getting CL this year would be transformative not just for the type of player we could attract, but also the sponsorship opportunities we could develop. It’s a lot harder to argue about “market value” when you could be in and amongst the big boys come September.

It wouldn’t surprise me to see the chairman fly over in the days ahead of the semi final second leg, which is also deadline day.

It would seem Stupid not to get at least 1 signing ….improvement is key 

1 minute ago, bowlingcrofty said:

Yep. Plus you potentially weaken the likes of Spurs and Liverpool. By pushing them out the Top 4 and hurting their recruitment at the same time. 

I was going to mention Chelsea, as well. But they seem to have the unlimited money cheat code on and are playing real life FM2023 with FFP turned off. 

10 hours ago, ToonScotman said:

If Forrest go down, would anyone take Brennan Johnson top talent can play across the front 3

I said we should have went for him had forest not won the play offs. He’s a great player 

2 hours ago, bowlingcrofty said:

I think it would be a massive mistake to not look to make 2 or 3 key signings especially when other clubs around us are. Some players are only willing to come if playing in the champions league which we could potentially offer them right now even if we don’t finish in those positions we’ve still attained that player. Ae been said prior the value it has when it comes to sponsorships and FFP would be ridiculous. 

I do fear though that other clubs around us are making improvements and serious moves where as we seem to be standing still. An improvement is an improvement be that a first team player or bench player to replace the likes of Murphy, lascelles, wood etc 

At this stage I think we’ll be going for youth or world class upgrades rather than filling the squad with further additions ‘for the sake of it’. Players like Billing fall into the Sarr/Cornet category people were keen for in the summer but the club never seemed interested.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

Totally agree, we need transformative signings only for the first 11 - like Bruno, Botman etc.  That may only 1-2 players per window.  The young players we bring in like Kuol are a totally different entity and strategy 

Edited by Andy84

4 hours ago, bowlingcrofty said:

The flip side of changing the plans for this window arnt to be taken lightly though. Like you say they plan 2, 3 or 4 windows ahead of the present, so is this squad ready for a push in the CL as well as all the other competitions after one more summer window?

Let’s say we sign 2 this window, 2 more in the summer. If you want to aim high and go for CL worthy players then these will be brought in on the pretence that we will be competing in the CL going forward, but then next season the extra games on the schedule for this squad mean we don’t finish top 4.. could be a problem. I guess the question is that the squad was meant to be built over a few more windows to be ready for Europe than we’ve had so far, so will it be ready even if we alter whatever the plans were this window to sign players?

The just sign players and push top 4 and that’ll be only be a positive argument isn’t so black and white. I think unless a big opportunity arises for the right player they will mostly stick to their guns. 

Edited by Nine

14 minutes ago, Scotty66 said:

Savic currently playing for Lazio in their game this morning so that plane spotting was, as suspected, bullshit. 

Not necessarily, it could have been Ashworth etc flying out to discuss/finalise a deal. 

16 minutes ago, Scotty66 said:

Savic currently playing for Lazio in their game this morning so that plane spotting was, as suspected, bullshit. 

I don't think anyone implied that Savic is in Newcastle right now. 

Yeah fair point, I read the tweet wrong and thought it said the plane went from lazio to Newcastle. 

Would have expected him to be left out if a 60m deal was close to be agreed but hopefully the rumours are true as he would be an incredible signing. 

Edited by Scotty66