Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

I don't think you can get a more attacking-style LB, Botman will get exposed. At Lille he had Djalo as his LB, who is naturally a CB, and played LB next to him, and this year is playing as a CB.

If you want to upgrade Dan Burn, more power to you, I haven't watched enough to determine how big a priority that is.

But I don't think you can have a real attacking LB with Botman. You'd need a left-sided Ben White-style player, or you'd need to be far more dominant in your possession and play style to limit his exposure.

I've been saying  for a while that we have been playing an elbow formation and any attacking LB would be a risk to our structure.

On the other hand. If Trippier is missing, it would be nice to have 1 fullback capable of advanced play.

On 11/04/2023 at 12:20, Zero said:

I think we will get Gallagher, Pedro and one more defender for the coming summer, totally around 100M. Then unless there is a cut price deal available in the market (like Gordon), that would be it. Our strategy seems to try to balance between long term targets and unexpected lucrative deals

Gallagher would be my top pick (possibly available in PL). So would be delighted. However, I expect at least four incoming. Though maybe only three who will be clear first team picks/options for now. 

25 minutes ago, Milanista said:

I don't think you can get a more attacking-style LB, Botman will get exposed. At Lille he had Djalo as his LB, who is naturally a CB, and played LB next to him, and this year is playing as a CB.

If you want to upgrade Dan Burn, more power to you, I haven't watched enough to determine how big a priority that is.

But I don't think you can have a real attacking LB with Botman. You'd need a left-sided Ben White-style player, or you'd need to be far more dominant in your possession and play style to limit his exposure.

Then Piero Hincapie is your answer - he’s the equivalent of a Distin/L Martinez playing LB - I would say he’s better on the ball than both - he’s neither a full time CB or a LB so would fit your criteria as he’s sort of in between player 

40 minutes ago, Armchair Pundit said:

I read this morning that Liverpool have decided against going for Bellingham, I wonder where he'll be off to then. Still like Maddison for us though.

I still think Maddison ends up at Spurs or Liverpool.  I imagine Liverpool deciding against it has more to do with Bellingham not fancying that move.  

2 minutes ago, Mikky said:

I would still get Tierney mind 

Wages reportedly £110k p/w which is doable.

Contract not up anytime soon so no pressure for Arsenal to sell, and they may feel the need for quality cover with CL next season. They have got Nuno Tavares out on loan like, so may depend what they want to do with him.

Probably comes down to whether he wants to push to be away to be first choice somewhere.

Let's say we start looking at 25m or more fore Tierney.... Arsenal can't be rejecting that kind of money for a second choice left back.

Tierney to us makes alot of sense. It's just his injuries that worry me.

40 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Gallagher would be my top pick (possibly available in PL). So would be delighted. However, I expect at least four incoming. Though maybe only three who will be clear first team picks/options for now. 

My take is it really depends on the status of the “4th - 6th” players we are targeting. The way Ashworth doing business is that he refuses to pay higher than the value in his mind unless under very special circumstances (Wood, Isak). He would rather keep the money and wait for opportunities in the market (Gordon case) or till the seller is willing to lower the asking price. 

Leverkusen is asking 80M + for Diaby which I really doubt Ashworth would approve the deal. However if they are willing to cut the asking price during the final hours, Ashworth would not hold back. 

Edited by Zero

52 minutes ago, Milanista said:

Howe has always really favoured full backs that get forward and provide width, with his wingers typically inverted and slightly narrower.

I think a big part of the reason we appear to be targeting a more dynamic and defensively minded DM to play in the number 6 position, is to better protect our centre backs when teams counter attack, and seek to exploit gaps left by our full backs getting forward. This will be even more important with a more attacking left back coming in.

Dislike the Tierney links. Lad can't stay fit. People are mad that ASM has missed games this season. Tierney has had 4 seasons like that. Yet people want him in, why is that?

We are talking a lot about Rice & Bellingham because we've all watched them play actively. I don't think they are serious targets. A player like Kephram Thuram - never seen him play in my life.

BT Sports coverage of Ligue 1 is really really good.

Have caught a number of Nice games recently since my boy Terem Moffi moved there in January.

Kephren Thuram is really fantastic. 6 ft 4 fluid athlete with pace and great ball carrying ability that can thread a delicious pass.

Terem scored a stunner just yesterday in the Conference League against Basel. The ball that opened things up was the pass from Thuram, that then allowed for the ball across the box for Moffi to finish superbly.

Edited by KaKa

From the mirror:

When asked if Newcastle could be in the market for Rice, despite such a price tag, Howe replied: “That is a difficult question to answer. We are trying to build the best squad we can. I think a lot will probably depend on what competitions we are playing in next year as to what we can and can’t do.”

When asked if he’d put so many eggs in one basket and if he had the capacity to do so, Howe said: “I think we will always try to gauge it in every situation.

“Our strategy last summer was to try and find quality players for the positions that we needed not to bring in a host of players who don’t necessarily improve our starting XI or squad.

“I don’t think our strategy will change. We want elite players because we have an elite squad. If we do add anyone in they have to be better than the players we have.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/declan-rice-transfer-newcastle-howe-29709304?1=

8 minutes ago, Smal said:

From the mirror:

“Our strategy last summer was to try and find quality players for the positions that we needed not to bring in a host of players who don’t necessarily improve our starting XI or squad.

And this is why players should be joining us over some of our rivals.  

I wouldn't go near Gallagher like. He's a London lad plus I've never been impressed with him at all. Doesn't look very quick or have a good engine on him. I'd rather hoy an extra 20 million on the price for rice atleast you can see he's a good player.