Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

Hmm, clearly not a bad option. Is he going to ever be elite? I don’t think so but he would improve the squad. Wouldn’t be on my list but I also wouldn’t be disappointed with the transfer either 

I find the whole "depends if we get in the CL" thing complete bollocks. We signed Isak when finished 11th and Bruno when we were looking like going down.

It might mean we sign fewer players but we were interested in Maddison etc in the previous summer. [emoji38]

I don't think we had any intention of moving for players prior to the season finishing anyway but I'd bet we have a list of targets ready to go.

2 minutes ago, STM said:

I find the whole "depends if we get in the CL" thing complete bollocks. We signed Isak when finished 11th and Bruno when we were looking like going down.

It might mean we sign fewer players but we were interested in Maddison etc in the previous summer. [emoji38]

I don't think we had any intention of moving for players prior to the season finishing anyway but I'd bet we have a list of targets ready to go.

CL obviously changes the budget.

9 minutes ago, STM said:

Makes it easier to negotiate with players and to fight off other clubs from signing them. Other clubs wants Maddison too, but if we can provide CL and they can't, it's obviously a plus. That doesn't mean there's no chance we can land such players without CL.

Edit: I see we're discussing who the club will target and not the likelyhood that we will get them. My bad.

Edited by Erikse

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

CL obviously changes the budget.

Well yes, but we are clearly after a certain level of player anyway. I don't see Europa League curtailing that by a great amount and our targets won't change.

Just now, Erikse said:

Makes it easier to negotiate with players and to fight off other clubs from signing them. Other clubs wants Maddison too, but if we can provide CL and they can't, it's obviously a plus.

I think Maddison will have a fair idea if he wants to join us. 

I'd the likes of Man utd and Liverpool want him, we won't get him regardless of who is in the CL.

1 minute ago, STM said:

I think Maddison will have a fair idea if he wants to join us. 

I'd the likes of Man utd and Liverpool want him, we won't get him regardless of who is in the CL.

Maddison seemed to get along well with some of our English lads in the world cup, I also think that he is a possibility regardless.

Also has to be said that when we’re this close on a will they won’t they be in the CL, that any good agent won’t let their player sign for a club before they find out what competition(s) they’d be in. The £/wk asking price would be increased if the club is in the CL so why negotiate right now when they could potentially get more. It’s not entirely in our hands in those cases. 

Edited by cubaricho

Seems a lot of wedge for Szoboszlai but I’d imagine Maddison would be around the 60 million mark. He’s younger and looks much more tailored to the way we play, wouldn’t be disappointed with Maddison but feel this lad though riskier might also have more upside long term.

48 minutes ago, STM said:

It's quite obviously not bollocks. Of course we have a list of targets - whether Champions League would just change the quantity of players we bring in or alter who is on it we can't be sure of. But more important than the budget is the category of player who just won't consider a club that isn't in the CL (sounds like Szoboszlai may be in that category for one). And, as Edwards says (can't believe I'm referencing that prick again), every decision is connected so while Maddison may be on our list either way it could determine whether he's 1st or 3rd choice.

7 minutes ago, Barnes23 said:

Kieran Tierney "expected to move to Newcastle United" according to Gary Jacob in The Times. 

As long as it means Burn out of that position then yes please.