Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

I think our list will look something like:

LB - It seems that we'll be looking at a similar sort of profile to Dan Burn, but with more recovery pace and ability in forward areas. I wouldn't be at all shocked if were looking at someone like Lloyd Kelly. If I'm not mistaken Howe brought him to Bournemouth so he will have a good idea of how good he is and if he'd be a good fit. 

RCB - We don't immediately need a RCB but we do need a rotation option for Schar. Ideally a younger player who has the potential to make the step up and eventually replace him. 

CM#1 - You'd imagine we'll be looking at a good all rounder for a main midfield target. Thuram and Kone have been mentioned and seem pretty ideal, but Liverpool amongst others are sniffing around both. Whoever we go for will be athletic, good on the ball and probably accustomed to playing high-pressing football.  

CM#2 - I think we'll also look at a young prodigy in this area. Guler, Scott and that chap from Celtic have all been linked in recent weeks. 

RW - If links are to be believed we want an inverted forward to play on the right, someone in the Maddison or Szoboszlai mould. This makes a lot of sense if we're going to rely on Trippier and his predecessor to provide width down the right. A player who will tuck in and has a creative spark on the ball makes perfect sense. 

Potentially significant, potentially not. Leipzig are signing Christoph Baumgartner from Hoffenheim for a decent chuck of change. He's played a fair bit as a false nine this season, but he's primarily an attacking midfielder that tends to drift out to the right. He could well be Szoboszlai's replacement. 

7 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Potentially significant, potentially not. Leipzig are signing Christoph Baumgartner from Hoffenheim for a decent chuck of change. He's played a fair bit as a false nine this season, but he's primarily an attacking midfielder that tends to drift out to the right. He could well be Szoboszlai's replacement. 

Don’t think there is much doubt about Szoboszlai leaving tbh, if that’s to come here or not is another question.

I’m all in thinking we are going for szoboszlai. I’m going to just enjoy the link though and be think “aye. Sounds good” for most transfer and think we have a chance for anyone now. 

going to be a relaxing summer if we get one big move in early doors. 

6 minutes ago, khay said:

I’m all in thinking we are going for szoboszlai. I’m going to just enjoy the link though and be think “aye. Sounds good” for most transfer and think we have a chance for anyone now. 

going to be a relaxing summer if we get one big move in early doors. 

Will be great, relaxing I doubt! [emoji38]

I think this window I've finally learned not to believe a word of it, it's only taken me about 18 years of intense transfer speculation to get to this point.

I remember getting the bus home from town and buying an evening chronicle reading about how we had signed Scott Parker and then Emre, I've come along way.[emoji38]

Whether it be Szobozlai, Veiga or anyone else, this time I'm waiting until something absolute concrete comes through. It will take Ornstein ilk to break me this time.

There was no better feeling than last August when out of nowhere we were signing Isak... it was perfect. More of that please. ? 

That Messi lad is 100% confirmed to leave PSG and looks like a return to Barca is off the table. More than likely he's heading to the Saudi league for more money that Ashley sold us for, but surely a cheeky loan to us is on the cards! :D 

4 hours ago, pubteam said:

I used to love Dream Team.

Is there anywhere you can watch the series apart from youtube? Could probably help me through the non-football summer watching that again.

I was slightly too young when we signed Shearer. Didn’t know what was going on. The signing that got me most excited and in dreamland was Kluivert, until Isak to a slightly lesser extent last year. Even Ben Arfa who I was a huge fan of, came in on loan only and in a pretty uninspiring team. But Kluivert came into a good team and so did Isak so I thought it was a sign of going to the next level.

I wonder if we get a marquee of that ilk. Even if we buy Dominik or Maddison it’s not a world renowned superstar. I’m not saying I want those kind of names as I’d rather get Botman Bruno types that fit the build we’re doing here. But one name that we should have no way of getting would be amazing

2 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

I was slightly too young when we signed Shearer. Didn’t know what was going on. The signing that got me most excited and in dreamland was Kluivert, until Isak to a slightly lesser extent last year. Even Ben Arfa who I was a huge fan of, came in on loan only and in a pretty uninspiring team. But Kluivert came into a good team and so did Isak so I thought it was a sign of going to the next level.

I wonder if we get a marquee of that ilk. Even if we buy Dominik or Maddison it’s not a world renowned superstar. I’m not saying I want those kind of names as I’d rather get Botman Bruno types that fit the build we’re doing here. But one name that we should have no way of getting would be amazing

Declan Rice! 

41 minutes ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

That’s a very fair point re: Owen. We were never going to be a good side when he signed.

I was excited by him like and thought we were sorted. Given in goal, Boumsong, Babayaro and Carr would come good after an iffy first season/half season (ha!), Steven Taylor was going to be our future.

Then the front 6...Luque (ha!) and Solano on the wings, Emre and Parker bossing the middle, Shearer and Owen up front.

I thought we were going to smash it after that window. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

3 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

IMG_4880.jpeg

Think he's committed to that project (in exchange for obscene money) and welcomes other big names to follow him there. He'll see that as something he did, not the money. 

Celta Vigo might go down this weekend, they are 17th with only one point between them and valladolid.

they play barca so are likely to lose.

Valladolid are shit so they might still stay up even if they lose…

some quotes from Eales in this Mark Douglas article - https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/newcastle-transfer-news-nice-midfielder-list-of-targets-magpies-summer-swoop-2381156

Newcastle transfer news: Nice midfielder joins ‘methodical’ list of targets as Magpies eye summer swoop

Newcastle plan to spend ‘as much as they can’ within reason to comply with the Premier League’s Financial Fair Play regulations

Newcastle United will spend “as much as they can” this summer while complying with Financial Fair Play limits to build a team capable of balancing the demands of the Champions League with competing for domestic honours.

CEO Darren Eales says Newcastle will “build” for next season but that recruitment will be balanced with bringing in the right characters who won’t disrupt the team’s chemistry.

Speaking at the end of season True Faith podcast talk-in on Monday, Eales said the Magpies were in “good hands” with director of football Dan Ashworth and “unbelievable” Eddie Howe. And he promised that the club would not “rest on their laurels” after finishing in the top four.

i understands that preliminary budget meetings were held before last weekend’s game at Chelsea. The club’s hand has been significantly strengthened in the transfer window but it is wage demands of their top targets that could present a challenge – Newcastle’s wage bill has already increased significantly since the 2021 takeover and now needs commercial revenue to catch up to allow them to compete with teams offering the most competitive salaries.

Newcastle are looking to sign a central midfielder and are also keen on Leicester‘s James Maddison and Nice’s Khephren Thuram. As i reported on Monday, they are also monitoring the availability of Everton’s Amadou Onana.

The club’s record in the transfer market has been impressive over the last three transfer windows and the broad philosophy will stay the same. Eales said recruitment would be “methodical”.

“We’ve got to savour this moment because we’ve got to the Champions League,” he said.

“It doesn’t mean we want to rest on our laurels, we’re going to build for next year, but it’s really important when we build that team that we bring in the right characters, the right people that fit.

“We’ve all seen at other football clubs it isn’t just the amount of money you spend, it’s how you spend it. The weekend game [at Chelsea] is a perfect example of that.

“The club is in safe hands with Eddie [Howe] and Dan [Ashworth] in terms of knowing what it is we’re looking for.

“The reality is we’re always going to spend what we can under Financial Fair Play and that’s a great thing. I can say hand on heart the club will always be doing its best to get to where we want to get to.

“But we’ve got to make sure we do it methodically and in a way that’s sustainable.

“It’s unbelievable to see what Eddie Howe has done with the squad, how he’s galvanised them. We’ve got a great pair of hands there with Eddie, he’s just unbelievable.”

While Newcastle’s spending has been beefed up by qualifying for the Champions League, it’s understood the club won’t be tempted into selling Bruno Guimaraes – who has been linked with a move to Real Madrid. Liverpool have also been credited with an interest.

Being in the Champions League next season protects them from having to sell key assets. Newcastle are understood be in talks with Guimaraes about a new contract.

Asked about qualifying for the Champions League, Eales said: “It’s pretty remarkable.

“I think if you’d have asked us at the start of the season if we’d have had this spot, we were just looking for progression.”

I would bet my right arm that we will deffo get three big signings this summer or very similar:

Left back: Tierney

Centre Mid: Phillips

No 10: Maddison/Dom

any more would be a bonus

5 minutes ago, buzza said:

I would bet my right arm that we will deffo get three big signings this summer or very similar:

Left back: Tierney

Centre Mid: Phillips

No 10: Maddison/Dom

any more would be a bonus

Not sure any of those would be ‘big’ signings. Good signings.