Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

I don't want to sign McTominay either but worst case scenario is that he's a like for like with Longstaff.

He's not creative enough to do the things that a Maddison type could and he's not good enough on the ball to play number 6 regularly.

I do think he could do a similar job to Longstaff and Joelinton in the number 8 position, high energy, pressing, box to box etc.

I've no doubt that Howe would improve him from a tactical and mental point of view.

In short, I don't want him but he would strengthen our squad, just not our first team.

Edited by STM

McTominay would probably suit our style, in that he's an athletic ball carrier that wouldn't look out of place as one of our number eights.

The problem is that he doesn't bring anything new to the table. We have Joelinton and Longstaff who give everything to the cause, look great in transition but are rather limited on the ball. We need more players who have ability in possession. 

I'm not as against it as some for the right price, but I'd prefer us to look at other options. 

Edited by The Prophet

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

McTominay would probably suit our style, in that he's an athletic ball carrier that wouldn't look out of our place as one of our number eights.

The problem is that he doesn't bring anything new to the table. We have Joelinton and Longstaff who give everything to the cause, look great in transition but are rather limited on the ball. We need more players who have ability in possession. 

I'm not as against it as some for the right price, but I'd prefer us to look at other options. 

This basically :thup:

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

McTominay would probably suit our style, in that he's an athletic ball carrier that wouldn't look out of our place as one of our number eights.

Not to mention giving money to a rival who will undoubtedly spend it on a better replacement. 

4 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Not to mention giving money to a rival who will undoubtedly spend it on a better replacement.

We're looking to sell McTominay and sign two of Sabitzer, Mount and Rabiot by the looks of things.

I think the comments under that tweet, which are all happy to let McTomminay go, ring a few alarm bells.

If he'd been playing under a poor coach already, or in an underperforming team, you could make a case that Howe could improve him. But I think ten Hag looks like a decent coach.

Maybe it's just that he doesn't fit Man U's system and would fit ours better, but I'm reaching there - l'd much rather look elsewhere.

He hits the ball so well,  is very good physically and is someone that Howe can definitely get the best out of.

In saying that, unless it’s under 25m, we should be looking at a higher calibre of player, really. We may not be in the CL again after next season so now is our chance to attract that next-tier talent; we could have attracted McTominay pre-takeover.

McTominay is slightly better than Longstaff but if our ambition is to close the gap with Man City then we should be looking for a significant step up in this position in the summer, that or a youngster on that level now but with the ability to go on and be a top class player in the near future.

Just now, Matt1892 said:

McTominay is slightly better than Longstaff but if our ambition is to close the gap with Man City then we should be looking for a significant step up in this position in the summer, that or a youngster on that level now but with the ability to go on and be a top class player in the near future.

Not sure he’s better than longstaff tbh 

10 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Not sure he’s better than longstaff tbh 

Aye, no evidence to suggest he’s better than Longstaff so we need to lean on Eddie to improve him. 

I hope it’s bullshit, would make more sense if he was younger but he’s 26 already. 

Technically he’s nowhere near what I would want from a midfielder. Any competition for him would likely come from bottom half sides. It’s not like he’s even Longstaff + goals and assists, because he has no end product. 

I'm not against McTominay provided the fee doesn't prohibit us from signing a quality creative midfielder too - whether that's Maddison, the Hubgarian lad, or whoever.

McTominay - Bruno - Maddison 

(Joelinton - Longstaff - Willock)

That's decent enough depth & flexibility at CM tbf

Just now, Keegans Export said:

I'm not against McTominay provided the fee doesn't prohibit us from signing a quality creative midfielder too - whether that's Maddison, the Hubgarian lad, or whoever.

That would leave us with Bruno yet again the only one capable of playing DM

Just now, Keegans Export said:

Still left with just Bruno who can somewhat hold. So I’m not a fan personally. 

Howe's incorporated a system which can suffocate the majority of the league with Longstaff as one it's key pieces, I wouldn't worry too much about signing McTominay.

We need quality on the ball still but I doubt McTominay would hinder that search.

6 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Think McTominay Bruno Maddison is arguably a worse midfield than we’ve got now.