Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

6 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

Already did that for Trippier.  

True, but Trippier is on (supposedly) just over 100k a week. So far as I was aware I biggest earner pre-Trippier was Joe on 80k? Pulisic is currently on 150k a week, and would likely want a better deal to move to a none CL club. 

2 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Could Pulisic not bring in a decent wedge through marketing that could justify a higher wage? Or is the commercial revenue from the US not that great?

Pulisic, Pedro and Paqueta, there'd be a "P" drought in the club shop.

28 minutes ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

This is becoming like the takeover now. In here every day, refreshing it constantly, hoping to see there's been a development and there's fuck all :lol:

I get an online usage health report each week, how long I've been on etc, it spiked massively in October, then in January, off a cliff Feb and it'll be the same now, September I'll hardly be on.

Edited by madras

CHO is obviously off somewhere in the next day or two. Just not convinced at all its us. 

I know he is a project we probably don't need but he is still so young and versatile. Can potentially cover as a wingback if we switch to 3 in the centre too. End product has long been a criticism even if he was slightly better the last last year or two. 

Ramos seemingly off to Wolves now too, got to wonder what the process is at NUFC today to make transfers, do PIF need to make a decision on it? Is that causing us delays resulting in us losing players ?

10 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Could Pulisic not bring in a decent wedge through marketing that could justify a higher wage? Or is the commercial revenue from the US not that great?

I don't think it can be overstated how much him playing for us in a World Cup year would help. The initial transfer would be big news here and having our name flash up next to his on network television for several weeks in November/December would make thousands of casuals suddenly aware of Newcastle.

Before the summer I felt like Pulisic would be the perfect RW for us but never thought we could seriously sign him. Trying not to get my hopes up considering the likelihood it doesn't happen. But it he stays healthy and gets consistent starts for us we'll have a winger who can score, create, and carry the ball. Would be a huge help to ASM, too. Obvious bias but would absolutely love him here for many reasons. 

1 minute ago, RobS said:

Ramos seemingly off to Wolves now too, got to wonder what the process is at NUFC today to make transfers, do PIF need to make a decision on it? Is that causing us delays resulting in us losing players ?

If he's going to Wolves over us, it's obviously because the manager is Portugese.

5 minutes ago, RobS said:

Where is him seemingly being off to wolves from ?

28 minutes ago, RobS said:

However efficient they are now, and I don’t think it is safe to assume we are slow to act, we will no doubt be slicker come January and beyond. Lots of new roles and systems take time to bed in. 

Even though Pulisic is a guaranteed starter for the U.S. in Qatar regardless, he’ll be hungry for playing time over the next few months. I also think he’d really relish the chance to be a star player for us.

Seems to me like, as hard as it is, patience is really important. As urgent as it seems for us on the outside, it appears that the club is pretty satisfied with the current direction and is unwilling to spend more than their valuation to change that. And I can't really see any reason to doubt their judgment at this stage; they've gotten us back on solid footing and are building a long-term project. We've got 4 points out of 6 to start the season, unlikely to pick up any in 2 of the next 3 PL matches, I can see how the ownership group would be more than willing to wait until the very end of the window to try to get the deals they want. We're unaccustomed to having professionals doing their jobs around here so I think all of us assume the very worst when things don't progress as expected. In this case, I dunno, I'm not concerned; I think we'll continue to progress as a club and as a squad and I expect us to do more business as we approach the end of the window and teams become more desperate to sell.

I think the biggest disconnect stems from how we performed from January onwards. It has raised short term expectations for some, but it very likely changed absolutely nothing in terms of the club’s longer term planning. Other than a few million extra for a higher finish it also did not change the fact that we can’t sell the players we don’t want and we are starting from nothing to build a commercial operation. The owners had to pay 10m just to clean and paint SJP to bring it up to an acceptable standard. That is the starting point.

We’re not going to pay 10m more than we value a player because that player may help us finish 8th. We’re also not going to spend 2-3 years of what we can in a single window. 

I’m very confident patience now is going to be greatly rewarded later. 

Guest HTT II

One thing regarding transfers and even expectations, we now need to forget about the Ashley era and get out of some mindset that because we are actively looking at players, putting in bids and spending money we should be grateful or rather satisfied. Again, I’d be massively disappointed if we didn’t add at least two extra quality attacking players to the squad, preferably first-teamers and I’m sure Howe would be unhappy as well.

I’m very happy with the players we’ve signed thus far and again I’m confident we still have good business to do, but if we want to be a bigger club and successful, we have to flex those financial muscles that are clearly there, even if it means overpaying.

Maddison for example even at 60m would add what, an extra 10-15 goals alone at least in terms of him scoring and creating for others, how many more points would that get us? European football would help fast-track the project, bring in extra revenues and more sponsorship opportunities and that kind of outlay would pay for itself eventually as a result of signing such a player like him. Let’s get those added quality attackers signed otherwise it’s mid-table and missed opportunities…

Edited by HTT II

15 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

I think the biggest disconnect stems from how we performed from January onwards. It has raised short term expectations for some, but it very likely changed absolutely nothing in terms of the club’s longer term planning. Other than a few million extra for a higher finish it also did not change the fact that we can’t sell the players we don’t want and we are starting from nothing to build a commercial operation. The owners had to pay 10m just to clean and paint SJP to bring it up to an acceptable standard. That is the starting point.

We’re not going to pay 10m more than we value a player because that player may help us finish 8th. We’re also not going to spend 2-3 years of what we can in a single window. 

I’m very confident patience now is going to be greatly rewarded later. 

Wholeheartedly agree. This has been something I've tried and failed to put into words tbh. It's almost (only almost, before i get slaughtered for it) a shame we finished as strongly as we did because of that immediate expectation raising.

Howe is a good manager, and he'll get more wins and have the team play better football than Bruce, but I don't think he'll ever be able again to conjure up the atmosphere of a taken-over club scrapping for survival that fueled last season's late form. Talk of top 6 this year is/was wholly premature. I believe we'll get there but only in good time.

It was always a marathon with them; never a sprint.

Edited by thomas