Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

5 hours ago, Dokko said:

Also, hearing the term Rolls-Royce of a defender being aimed at Botman. I always thought the idea of a RR player is that they are superb quality but the reliability isn't there and always breaking down. Hence why it was aimed at Rio & Woodgate.

Eh?

E5317968-E615-446C-8C1C-273865F97E3C.jpeg

59CDAC6E-3FA4-4355-8336-5D086ABCA457.jpeg

5 hours ago, STM said:

So far their strategy has been virtually impeccable. Here's some ratings for no other reason than I'm bored:

Trippier: He's been our talisman. Has been a key reason for our mentality change. 10/10

Wood: Ultimately he's a dud but we were in a tight spot and at least we weakened Burnley. 5/10

Bruno: Second only to De Bruyne in the PL IMO, unreal signing. 10/10

Burn: Versatile, good with his feet, a leader, experienced, great character. Transformed our defence. 8/10

Targett: Solid as a rock. Good lad. Not blessed with attacking instincts but Mr Reliable. 7/10

Pope: Alot of raised eyebrows about whether we needed a GK but he's proven an absolute bargain. 8/10

Botman: Would it be clichéd to say Rolls Royce? 10/10

Isak: Time will tell. From an ambition perspective I will give it a 9/10

A 7/8 strike rate is good going in the world of transfers. Overall they get a 9/10 for transfer performance.

A Man U supporter said another Man U fan today, "name me a better signing of the lady 12 months than Bruno Guimarães?". With the tongue only slightly in my cheek I responded with "Kieran Tripper 😏"

Tells its own story that a player as incredible as Bruno isn't by far the best signing we've made in the last January transfer window :snod:

5 hours ago, Dokko said:

Also, hearing the term Rolls-Royce of a defender being aimed at Botman. I always thought the idea of a RR player is that they are superb quality but the reliability isn't there and always breaking down. Hence why it was aimed at Rio & Woodgate.

When did you last see a Rolls Royce on the side of the road?

Assuming we add say one attacker in Jan, come the summer we’ll really be beefing up the squad and potency. I’d imagine a solid number 2 keeper, another left back (maybe more attacking in nature) to compete with Targett, sitting/defensive midfielder, a young forward (Wood will probably go), a new starting right sided CB

6 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Assuming we add say one attacker in Jan, come the summer we’ll really be beefing up the squad and potency. I’d imagine a solid number 2 keeper, another left back (maybe more attacking in nature) to compete with Targett, sitting/defensive midfielder, a young forward (Wood will probably go), a new starting right sided CB

One! :tobey:

8 hours ago, geordie_b said:

What about a Land Rover defender?

Never mind them what about Range Rovers, especially Evokes. Used to be marquee but now they're like dog shit. 

Everywhere. Mostly black. 

Was a time when it was just gangsters and royalty had them. 

14 hours ago, Dokko said:

I think you're remembering what Freddie Shepherd said when he sold Woodgate to Madrid: "there's no point having a Rolls-Royce if it spends most of its time in the garage." 

I remember how angry I was with him at the time for selling our best player, but he was definitely proved correct. 

52 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Never mind them what about Range Rovers, especially Evokes. Used to be marquee but now they're like dog shit. 

Everywhere. Mostly black. 

Was a time when it was just gangsters and royalty had them. 

Evoques are shit and only cost about 30k proper Range Rovers are not and cost about 100k for a decent one

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I reckon we'll look to add 2-3 first-team improvements a season after this one, and pad up the Academy. 

I think the "development" pipeline will be key.

We now have the financial pull to sign some potentially elite players in that 16-20 year-old bracket. At that age, they are able to come into the squad or first-team within 1-2 years if they are good enough. You can land most of these players from £5m - £30m on fairly low wages - therefore fairly low risk.

Benfica & Porto do it with Portuguese and South American players. 

Red Bull & Dortmund are excellent examples.

Chelsea & Man City do it all over the world with the intention to sell them for a massive profit.

I assume this takes 2-3 years to become effective. Where as the academy seems like a 10-12 year thing if Chelsea and City are to go by.

18 hours ago, STM said:

So far their strategy has been virtually impeccable. Here's some ratings for no other reason than I'm bored:

Trippier: He's been our talisman. Has been a key reason for our mentality change. 10/10

Wood: Ultimately he's a dud but we were in a tight spot and at least we weakened Burnley. 5/10

Bruno: Second only to De Bruyne in the PL IMO, unreal signing. 10/10

Burn: Versatile, good with his feet, a leader, experienced, great character. Transformed our defence. 8/10

Targett: Solid as a rock. Good lad. Not blessed with attacking instincts but Mr Reliable. 7/10

Pope: Alot of raised eyebrows about whether we needed a GK but he's proven an absolute bargain. 8/10

Botman: Would it be clichéd to say Rolls Royce? 10/10

Isak: Time will tell. From an ambition perspective I will give it a 9/10

A 7/8 strike rate is good going in the world of transfers. Overall they get a 9/10 for transfer performance.

Targett is at least as good as Burn, if not better. Targett over Ritchie was a much bigger jump in quality than Burn over Lascelles. So I’d give Targett an 8 or 9. Agree with the rest of your ratings!

I’ve seen no reason he can’t play there longer term, but because Burn’s so physically imposing it just looks wrong. Should be a height limit on fullbacks.

I do like the flexibility having him in that position gives us mind. We basically switch to 352 when we’re in possession now, which lets Trippier bomb on and cause carnage with his crosses.