Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

2 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Agreed to sell him next summer rather than now.

Barely even a real transfer tbf. Red Bull corp have basically just decided to keep him in house until they can sell at 'proven in Bundesliga' value in 2-3 years rather than now.

Yup, I imagine there'll be a huge % of the fee from the next sale from Leipzig then going back to Salzburg.

3 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Agreed to sell him next summer rather than now.

Barely even a real transfer tbf. Red Bull corp have basically just decided to keep him in house until they can sell at 'proven in Bundesliga' value in 2-3 years rather than now.

That and what’s going on with Barca. There is some real shady shit in the world of football. 

6 minutes ago, gdm said:

That and what’s going on with Barca. There is some real shady shit in the world of football. 

Also Lille and Milan previously but thankfully that got rumbled or we wouldn’t have got Wor Sven.

2 hours ago, Tomato Deuce said:

Good move for Sesko and Leipzig.

Must've been a really tough negotiation between the Red Bull owned FC Red Bull Salzburg and the totally not Red Bull owned RB Leipzig completely coincidentally run by Red Bull's 'Head of Global Soccer'.

Why should you even look to other Prem clubs to do transfer business? With all due respect, the EPL is an overpriced market. The fact Cucurella went for 60m or whatever, is absurd. Patently absurd. "EPL proven" is an overrated mantra that makes no sense when like 66% of players in the EPL are from... outside the EPL to begin with. Players can be world-class, but if you misuse them, if things are going on around them, if you're asking them to do things that are different to what made them desirable, they're going to fail.

The idea of an "EPL tax" is controversial, and I think a big part of that is looking at what teams will spend in the EPL versus in other leagues. So striker X comes to Everton, for example, striker X came from a ball dominant, title-chasing team in Portugal or Holland, it's a different style. Lukaku was used in a counter-attacking, speed focused 352 at Inter under Conte. The 343 at Chelsea is slow, labored, and terrible for all attackers. Lukaku is still a good player, but he's being misused. He scored a lot at West Brom and Everton, and in his first year at Man Utd, so it's not about Lukaku suddenly being unable to deal with the EPL, it's really about fitting in players, and a whole host of other factors. Maguire is exposed at Man Utd because his team is supposed to be on the front foot. He's expected to do some more one-on-one defending. For England, I'm sorry, but Southgate plays like a coward. England played with a 5-man-backline. England was at their best when they were attacking relentlessly, but I digress. The point is: Maguire looks good when he's playing in a system that allows him to just be the extra defender, a glorified sweeper.

Everyone thinks that Newcastle is going to spend, and that you'll spend way more than you have to, and frankly, the Wood transfer didn't help that perception--but obviously the fact that your owners are PIF, people are going to play hardball with you. The only thing you can do is build patiently and preach the FFP mantra, and your management has to show that they will be disciplined and walk away from deals, wait until January, or the next summer.

Patience is going to be required, and I say this because Milan's management and yours seem to follow very similar approaches. They're not going to be bullied, they're not going to overpay, they're not going to be emotional or overreact about what they need. Milan fans are kicking-and-screaming, but I don't think they appreciate that when your club gets bought for 1.2 billion (and that's for 60-70% without a stadium) other clubs are going to think you have more money. Just like clubs think Newcastle has more money. Which, in fairness, both clubs most probably do.

But patience is required, though.

Look at Man Utd, they're about to get Rabiot? Why? He's a good, tidy player. But he's not what they need. Is he better than Fred and McTominay? Yes, but is that saying much? Also: they need someone who can handle the ball better. Rabiot is skilled for a defensive-CM (he's not exactly a DM, he's like a Matuidi-type [but not as good]) but he's got a terrible attitude, so why bring him to Manchester? When attitude problems abound? Arnatuavic, the child's drawing of Ibrahimovic, is good for mid-table Bologna, but he's a jerk. He causes trouble. And maybe at 33 he's finally calmed down, but he's not what they need (personality-wise)--he wouldn't be the worst thing, he might actually be useful (style-wise), but, he's tailor made for a smaller club, not Manchester United.

When our owners first came in, we had Leonardo (of PSG... "fame") and he bought a lot of players. He brought in Samu Castillejo for 25m, Mattia Caldara who was supposed to be the next great Italian CB (tore his achilles [I don't hold major injuries as flops, personally], exchanged for Bonucci, so 35m), Piatek (35m), Paqueta (35-40m), Diego Laxalt (20m), Higuain (18m loan + 36m option to buy) which we thankfully cut short, and other various loan-spells, spending around 180m--and it was a disaster. We lost money on every single deal.

Anyway, the point of this post is to provide yourselves (and myself, lol) some reassurance to take a longer-term view, and to realize that judging transfer windows by the amount spent, the names brought in (are they familiar to you? Have they been hyped by fans and pundits?), is the worst way to look at the transfer window.

We "lost" the battle with you over Botman. Personally, I think in January we wanted Botman, badly, but our defensive scheme changed drastically from January to the summer, with the emergence of Kalulu (who we paid 500k for) to pair with our English darling Fik Tomori, and we now have the best defense in Serie A. The point is, Botman will fit your system better than he will fit ours. We could have went into a bidding war, but what's the point? Lille just wanted to extract more money from whoever. And frankly, Botman wasn't that expensive for the EPL, when you compare the prices of other CBs. Getting buy-in from a player is more important, and walking away from a transfer "over a few million" is going to have to be the norm, otherwise, you'll be in a worse spot in more deals later on. The football world is a small place, word gets around.

Leeds offered 40m for CDK, our new player. We paid 32m. We were patient and were willing to walk away. The kid wanted to come to Milan. I fear he's doomed because of the comparisons to Kaka, who he doesn't play like at all, Kaka had blistering pace, anyway... The EPL has a reputation for overpaying and Newcastle has the biggest target on its back. If you buy players just to have one, you'll be stuck with them. It's better to trust who you have, even if you suffer short-term, because there's no need to overpay. Man Utd have overpaid, as have Barca, and they are stuck with them. So have Chelsea. Werner has obscene wages. Barca are trying to threaten De Jong with "criminal litigation" because they want to screw him out of wages that he's owed, while they are using borrowed money to pay 55m for Kounde and 50m for a 34-year-old Lewa, and they're wondering why he won't forgo wages they owe him.

Our management has shown us they are to be trusted, and so, if yours has, then give them the benefit of the doubt, and leave behind the mentality that has led to absurd wages and transfer fees. Man Utd has been run as if Man Utd fans have been in charge, they all pretend they weren't excited about CR7 or Fred or Maguire or Wan-Bissaka or Sancho and on and on. It seems Newcastle is being run like any other business where the price of players is finally featuring the possibility of failure as a factor. Newcastle's expectations aren't the CL--so there's no need for urgency. You're not in a "win now" scenario, risks don't have to be taken, you have to build up the spine of your team, and that's going to take time. Pushing for signings means overpaying, because players that you love today, might become failures tomorrow.

This has gone on way too long, anyway, keep the faith, stay the course, you all are so, so nice to me and kind people, I really appreciate the hospitality.

Dunno if we’re making perfect the enemy of good here, but I think it will be a poor window and serious impact to our season if we can’t add an attacking player.

Like, a proper misstep. 
Howe’s clearly a very very good coach. If recruitment is a job too far because he’s got too much on his plate we really should have someone else handling that.

Has Nickson demonstrated clear recruitment success at any other club? Serious question…..all I can see is Blackburn Rovers and the youth team at NUFC. Neither leap off the page to me like….

This isn’t bed wetting….Wood was a bad, bad signing. Can’t try and paint that any other way. A forward who doesn’t add goals or assists, not even link up play.

We’ve had over 7 months now to scout about. If Etikite was all they could come with they’re not scouting we’ll enough. 

2 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Dunno if we’re making perfect the enemy of good here, but I think it will be a poor window and serious impact to our season if we can’t add an attacking player.

Like, a proper misstep. 
Howe’s clearly a very very good coach. If recruitment is a job too far because he’s got too much on his plate we really should have someone else handling that.

Has Nickson demonstrated clear recruitment success at any other club? Serious question…..all I can see is Blackburn Rovers and the youth team at NUFC. Neither leap off the page to me like….

This isn’t bed wetting….Wood was a bad, bad signing. Can’t try and paint that any other way. A forward who doesn’t add goals or assists, not even link up play.

We’ve had over 7 months now to scout about. If Etikite was all they could come with they’re not scouting we’ll enough. 

TBF it's a closed professional shop these days and we know nothing of who they have scouted, we only find out when the other side leak news.

Ashworth has my total faith and the policy of signing good players who are good people is 100% correct, just look at Man U to see how quickly it turns sour with mediocre people in charge.

Did Ashworth do the scouting at Brighton? I don’t think he did, pretty sure that wasn’t his job. I’ve no reason to think he’s not excellent at his job but let’s not burden him with expectations of roles he’s employed to do.

7 minutes ago, Lotus said:

A forward who doesn’t add goals or assists, not even link up play.

I don’t think it’s anything to do with the scouting, it’s more our valuations and budget that’s the issue 

we’ve been linked with some very good players Diaby, Barnes, Maddison, Harrison & Sesko to name a few

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

Not sure how you can say Pepe would be mint ?

Think I mentioned earlier in the thread that I had a bit of a soft spot for Pepe after watching a lot of French football at the time he was doing well. He’s flopped so far but under the right system I think he could come good assuming the price is cheap. Him and ASM in the same team could be really entertaining… or disastrous. 

17 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Like, a proper misstep. 

Wood was an overpriced, emergency signing, borne out of the fairly desperate predicament we found ourselves.

Having watched the Cambridge game, I don’t think it’s too outlandish to say his presence transformed our performance levels, simply through his physicality and tactical understanding (yes, obviously initially Trippier and later Bruno also had massive impacts)

He might not really be suitable for what is required now, but if £25m was the price of staying in the PL, he was absolutely not a “bad, bad signing”.

5 minutes ago, SteV said:

Wood was an overpriced, emergency signing, borne out of the fairly desperate predicament we found ourselves.

Having watched the Cambridge game, I don’t think it’s too outlandish to say his presence transformed our performance levels, simply through his physicality and tactical understanding (yes, obviously initially Trippier and later Bruno also had massive impacts)

He might not really be suitable for what is required now, but if £25m was the price of staying in the PL, he was absolutely not a “bad, bad signing”.

+1 If we had paid £10m for Wood no one would really care. We didn't have much of a choice considering the release clause, the fact we were direct competitors with the club he was at, and the situation we were in. People are a little stressed in this thread because it feels like we're a couple pieces away from a real push for the top 8. Imagine if we were in the fucking Championship right now?

2 hours ago, Mazzy said:

Depay on a free for 2yrs would be decent.

He has ability that's for sure, it's his attitude and mentality that I've always doubted.

I'm sure Howe and the staff will check that out if they plan on going for him though, in which case I'd be very excited by his signings if it were to happen.

12 goals in 28 for Barca last season and

20 goals and 12 assists in 37 for Lyon the season before so he's putting up decent stats still. Plus he'll have played with Bruno already which would be a nice bonus.

Why, if I may ask..? I can’t think of many attackers that work harder on and off the pitch.

Edit: Juve bound in any case

Edited by Unbelievable

2 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

He would have a lot of interest in him, wonder if his preference would be to stay in London ? 

He’s a massive Chelsea fan so I think his preference is to try and win a spot in the squad.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

He can’t get a kick for them now, never mind when they sign a new midfielder 

Think Chelsea have just sold a midfielder. Sarr? Might be wrong.

1 hour ago, Milanista said:

Why should you even look to other Prem clubs to do transfer business? With all due respect, the EPL is an overpriced market.

This is my view too. We got Botman for 35m and Leicester want 80m for Fofana, I haven't seen too much of either but I would expect them to have pretty similar valuation based on their age and profile. We also got Bruno (established Brazilian international) when we were in no position to have any advantages on negotiations for a similar price that Wolves are asking for Morgan Gibbs-White ffs.

We really shouldn't be buying much from PL sides unless we can exploit a contract situation or a selling team's financial position. Which is exactly why I liked our bid for Maddison and not so much for Harrison.

Edited by Pata

1 hour ago, gdm said:

I don’t think it’s anything to do with the scouting, it’s more our valuations and budget that’s the issue 

we’ve been linked with some very good players Diaby, Barnes, Maddison, Harrison & Sesko to name a few

Being linked with players by ‘journalists’ is worth absolutely nothing.

£30M would be ample for a scout worth his badges to find an attacking talent.

I bet 80% of the scouts from the top league teams in France, Spain and Germany would kill for that kind of money.

As has been said so often, the stats of Miggy, Murphy and Fraser is hardly much to compete with. It’s not a high bar.