Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

Enzo Fernandez and Bruno in the midfield would be the dream combo. 

Highly unlikely but we can dream, still feels like we need another top drawer attack minded player for the 2nd half of the season. I’m sure Isak will give us a huge shot in the arm when he’s it, that’s why an attacking midfielder like Fernandez or a wide player like Mudryk would be the dream signing.

All for unearthing these young South American talents though, will save us a fortune in the long term.

16 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Would people be disappointed if we don’t make a so called top signing in January? Talking the likes of a Maddison, Thuram etc ?

If we were sitting 7th-10th I think I'd be ok with a few future prospects, sitting in 3rd with a chance to get into the top 4 this year, I think it would be daft not to try and make a proper go for it with 1 or 2 statement signings.

On 23/12/2022 at 01:49, KaKa said:

The funny thing is that just a year previously his agent was touting him to clubs all over the place and they turned their noses up at him. We need to be doing the kind of behind the scene work to have us recognising this kind of talent at that stage, not at the stage he is at now.

Can't really fault your post and this part in particular I agree with.

Think we're going to be signing a lot of players nobody has heard much about and the idea will be to get them at the stage Napoli did Kvar last year of Brighton got MaCallister.

Just think we also won't be afraid of making the odd splash signing if the right player presents themselves and this guy looks like the kind of winger Howe would create in a video game to be the perfect fit for his system. You're probably right in that it's unlikely, but the idea we've no chance seems wrong to me. Think we're gonna make some head turning signings over the next year or two.

20 minutes ago, Shak said:

Can't really fault your post and this part in particular I agree with.

Think we're going to be signing a lot of players nobody has heard much about and the idea will be to get them at the stage Napoli did Kvar last year of Brighton got MaCallister.

Just think we also won't be afraid of making the odd splash signing if the right player presents themselves and this guy looks like the kind of winger Howe would create in a video game to be the perfect fit for his system. You're probably right in that it's unlikely, but the idea we've no chance seems wrong to me. Think we're gonna make some head turning signings over the next year or two.

The phrasing 'we have no chance' was the wrong way to express what I meant, actually, so you are correct.

It's more that I don't think the club would be looking at players of that high a price point and profile at this stage. Trying to go toe to toe with the types of clubs that would be involved. That's going to mean having to offer huge wages as well.

I think we are going to be the club that signs exceptional players at the perfect time. So the likes of Kvaratskhelia will be signed at the time Napoli signed him for just 10 million Euros and the likes of Enzo Fernandez at the time Benfica signed him for just 12 million Euros. 

Unreal to think that this past summer. Kvaratskhelia, Enzo Fernandez and Julian Alvarez could all have been signed for under 50 million euros.

15 minutes ago, KaKa said:

The phrasing 'we have no chance' was the wrong way to express what I meant, actually, so you are correct.

It's more that I don't think the club would be looking at players of that high a price point and profile at this stage. Trying to go toe to toe with the types of clubs that would be involved. That's going to mean having to offer huge wages as well.

I think we are going to be the club that signs exceptional players at the perfect time. So the likes of Kvaratskhelia will be signed at the time Napoli signed him for just 10 million Euros and the likes of Enzo Fernandez at the time Benfica signed him for just 12 million Euros. 

Unreal to think that this past summer. Kvaratskhelia, Enzo Fernandez and Julian Alvarez could all have been signed for under 50 million euros.

I agree. The club wasn’t built or setup to do these types of transfers as it required significant investment which was not just financial. We’re slowly getting to that place now so it’s definitely going to be the road we go down with one or two statement signings thrown into the mix 

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

Would people be disappointed if we don’t make a so called top signing in January? Talking the likes of a Maddison, Thuram etc ?

No

Some highly rated kids for the future would be great though. 

2 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

My feeling is that if we going to make any signings they should either be a top signing that improves the first xi (maddison level) or young prospects that are happy to develop with us without complaining about playing time.

Anything in between a top signing and a prospect would be pointless imo. I don't like the thought of bringing someone in (particularly in January) that ends up on the bench and possibly annoyed at not starting.

What we have right now is great, and I think the current players should be fully backed to keep it going, with a sprinkling of Maddison for that extra boost.

Difficult part is that if we do qualify for Europe in any form then we are going to need a handful of players over the summer to improve our overall quality, how are they going to go about that? Wouldn't want our league form to drop off so much like West Ham for example.

Now that Cristiano Ronaldo's move to Al-Nassr is finalising, if we are in CL next year, I can definitely see a 'loan' deal being arranged to NUFC. Pushed for by him primarily. Think it's obvious. 

Saudi are trying to bid for 2030 world cup and so Ronaldo is to their project what Neymar and Mbappe and Messi were to Qatar's. They'd want Ronaldo at their primary club in some way I imagine. 

Edited by kingxlnc
missed word

17 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

Now that Cristiano Ronaldo's move to Al-Nassr is finalising, if we are in CL next year, I can definitely see a 'loan' deal being arranged to NUFC. Pushed for by him primarily. Think it's obvious. 

Saudi are trying to bid for 2030 world cup and so Ronaldo is to their project what Neymar and Mbappe and Messi were to Qatar's. They'd want Ronaldo at their primary club in some way I imagine. 

If that was to start happening you’d probably see Howe walk. Not a chance he’d want Ronaldo anywhere near the squad, he’s a social hand grenade ffs 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

2 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

We've got six games, four league and one in each cup by Jan 15. If things are still looking good, and a signing or two could cement Top 4, then I think we have to go for it. The risk is that super moneybags owners will buy Man U and Liverpool, and the task will only get harder.

Howe and Ashworth can spot players, so I see less need for "so called top signings". No one would say that about Dan Burn, but he's helped get us to third. If the idea is for Bruno to play 8, I don't think we'd need a big name to play DM, since both CHs are good on the ball. Conversely if Wilson and Isak are both having fitness issues, we'll need a striker and they're not cheap.

I think we'll sign one first team player and 2-3 younger lads like Ashby, Perrone and this Brazilian lad. 

Howe's comments seemed to indicate that the focus would be bringing in younger players to supplement the squad, not that you can ever take his comments at face value like.

"We would love another transfer like (Bruno Guimaraes) because I thought it was transformational for the team and for the group. They are difficult players to find but that's our job to try and find them and we will endeavour to do that.“

This suggests to me that if one or two higher value players are available then we’ll actively be pursuing them (as well as the lesser known and lesser expensive ‘potential’ players). A ‘transformational’ signing won’t be an 18 year old for 10-20m. The issue is that the club will stick to targets like they did for Botman last year, and if they aren’t available this coming window then we’ll be happy to wait until summer again. 

39 minutes ago, Stottie said:

We've got six games, four league and one in each cup by Jan 15. If things are still looking good, and a signing or two could cement Top 4, then I think we have to go for it. The risk is that super moneybags owners will buy Man U and Liverpool, and the task will only get harder.

Howe and Ashworth can spot players, so I see less need for "so called top signings". No one would say that about Dan Burn, but he's helped get us to third. If the idea is for Bruno to play 8, I don't think we'd need a big name to play DM, since both CHs are good on the ball. Conversely if Wilson and Isak are both having fitness issues, we'll need a striker and they're not cheap.

Isak doesn't normally have injury issues. I think this is a one off hopefully.

1 hour ago, Stottie said:

I'm not concerned about Man Utd and Liverpool getting rich owners, I'm worried about them getting good owners.

1 hour ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

I think we need at least 1 more in January to maintain positive momentum.

A lot will depend on outgoings as I’m not sure if we actually have any free squad spaces left.

Im not too concerned about that as we put 5 players on gardening leave last January. If we can we will, but I don't think it will negate incomings if the right deal is forthcoming. 

It would be a shame if we didn’t bring in at least 1 first team starter but I think bringing two in is hampered by FFP. Even one player in the 40-50m might run us close. I’d imagine it might be one potential starter and then 1 or 2 more but like Harrison Ashby type players. I might also be talking complete bollocks 😂

I think the owners could and should roll the dice in January. No guarantee we’ll have such a good shot at it next season. But if we are basically halfway through the season and still looking good for top 4 and even a title challenge. Then why wouldn’t you go for it and perhaps spend a bit more than planned or what you’d need to spend for the same player in the summer. 

I know we have spent a bit but a year ago I remember reading we have lots of FFP wriggle room (twitter / Financial guy) 

Maybe we are close to the limit but as mentioned above , Eddie Howe is never going to give anything away and I am sure if we can do a deal (we will) 

Even f it’s just one 

On top of that , we have pulled in 4/5 sponsors since the last window (so that has to help)

I expect 1 first teamer but maybe not a £40/£50m plus (potentially Thurman) 

Also 2 Youngsters as well (squad boost / potential) 

4 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

Not at all provided we add a quality youngster or two. I think Howe (who never gives much away...) kind of inferred this might be in their thinking in his presser the other day.

Gut feel is we'll get Ashby and Perrone and I'd be delighted with that tbh.

2 minutes ago, Minhosa said:

Not at all provided we add a quality youngster or two. I think Howe (who never gives much away...) kind of inferred this might be in their thinking in his presser the other day.

Gut feel is we'll get Ashby and Perrone and I'd be delighted with that tbh.

Also Isak has played so little he will almost be like a nee squad addition. Throw in Saints absence for months and if you get them back regularly we have far more options in the final 3rd.

Edited by ExiledGeordie

Not sure about Thuram and do we really need him if Isak is nearly fit ? Where starting to see teams setting up defensively against us at SJP now and sometimes we struggle. A David Silva type who can unlock defences would add something we haven’t got. For me it’s either a creative midfielder, or a real out and out winger who creates. Get either of those and I think top 4 could be on the cards.

Edited by Whitley mag

Thurham at the price is a no brainer when Murphy and Wood are still getting minutes. We still lack depth and strong options from the bench.

I know we are in the top 4 now but it's really not a top 4 squad it's just miraculous work by Eddie that has us there. 

2 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

Thurham at the price is a no brainer when Murphy and Wood are still getting minutes. We still lack depth and strong options from the bench.

I know we are in the top 4 now but it's really not a top 4 squad it's just miraculous work by Eddie that has us there. 

It's an interesting one this....You get the impression that both Murphy and Wood are good eggs and, despite their major limitations, they'll be happy getting the odds minutes here and there.

If we sign someone like a Thuram (or anyone else of his calibre really) at what point does the risk of upsetting the balance and camaraderie of the squad become a bigger factor than the (obvious) upgrade in quality for the sake of 10 mins, here or there, every week?

If you look at our squad when it's fully fit, you'd have to say we're probably only a couple of signings away from being very very competitive in every area of the team and, I think, that's perhaps going to be Howe's biggest challenge next season.

Players that are levels above Murphy, Wood etc expect to be playing.