Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

If they're serious about pushing for Europe, especially the top 4, they've got to get the cheque book out for a solid, quality midfielder and probably a right back. Can't afford to be too over reliant on Bruno and Trippier.

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

If they're serious about pushing for Europe, especially the top 4, they've got to get the cheque book out for a solid, quality midfielder and probably a right back. Can't afford to be too over reliant on Bruno and Trippier.

Our wide areas are still a massive concern as well, I’d much rather rely on Manquillo to cover Trippier than I would giving game time to Murphy, Ritchie or Fraser. This will be our 3rd window and not one upgrade in the wide areas, fingers crossed we change that.

Lewis will probably never play again but were one injury/suspension/rotation away from seeing a lot of Murphy, Wood and Lascelles to the massive detriment of the overall.

At the very least can we take our chances with a couple loans in their places. Its hard to imagine any wouldn't be an improvement. If we can get Kenedy levels (good season and bad) under the previous regime there's got to be something there for us.

Edited by Wolfcastle

5 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Our wide areas are still a massive concern as well, I’d much rather rely on Manquillo to cover Trippier than I would giving game time to Murphy, Ritchie or Fraser. This will be our 3rd window and not one upgrade in the wide areas, fingers crossed we change that.

Yeah, that's fair. :thup:

11 minutes ago, Ben said:

I'm all for the slow build ad bringing in the correct type of player but I can't see any reason why we don't move now if money is not an issue

Not sure if money is an issue or not but I have to imagine sitting in the top four to start the year has to be extremely attractive to sponsors for next year. We gotta be lining up for an influx of money.

18 minutes ago, Ben said:

I'm all for the slow build ad bringing in the correct type of player but I can't see any reason why we don't move now if money is not an issue

I'd have took Orsic that Southampton have signed now. £8m for the ability to adequately alternate Wilson/Isak for 2years. Just hope were not ruling that sort of thing out.

On 06/01/2023 at 18:00, Shak said:

Even with a fully fit squad we basically have ASM, Almiron, Isak and Wilson for three spots on the field and then a massive drop off in quality. Joelinton I'm actually comfortable with starting on the left in some games but he's better in CM IMO. We need another attacking player that can actually do something rather than just be hard working warm bodies in Murphy and Wood.

Spent all evening thinking about this post.

Wood and Murphy are absolute garbage and if they play significant minutes in the run-in we'll not finish top four IMO.

1 hour ago, Shak said:

Wood and Murphy are absolute garbage and if they play significant minutes in the run-in we'll not finish top four IMO.

Agreed.  Reallly need ASM to step up and stay injury free.  Also need Howe to trust him more. Murphy is not it. 

Would love Maddison and another CM too. 

1 hour ago, Shak said:

We've all got so used to seeing the majority of our first team play regularly.

With the log jam in fixtures we've had to do a fair bit of rotation today and it's been a shock to the system to see how poor the squad really is.

All this hasn't at all been helped by the lack of availability of ASM, Wilson and Isak this season.  Ideally we really should be able to better navigate players being hurt though, as that will always be an issue here and there.

We'll get there eventually with the squad, but Ashley's piss poor ownership has just put us in a situation where so much work is needed.

8 hours ago, mighty__mag said:

Newcastle and Man City interested in Ferland Mendy, would be nice to get a quality LB in.

He’s having a poor season. He’s a ‘stay at home’ left back - offers little in attack.  Which is fine if Vini Jr. or Rodrygo are ahead of you. Would be fine with ASM ahead. Not so much Big Joe

On 07/01/2023 at 09:15, et tu brute said:

European football also brings significantly increased revenue streams through higher levels of sponsorship/commercial deals. 

Yep, will be some interesting meetings come Monday morning I reckon regarding these questions.  Everyone’s aware that the Bruce Ashley era equality is still there and pushed to the squad 12 upwards positions.

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

He’s having a poor season. He’s a ‘stay at home’ left back - offers little in attack.  Which is fine if Vini Jr. or Rodrygo are ahead of you. Would be fine with ASM ahead. Not so much Big Joe

Fairly confident Joelinton at LW is not going to be the plan. Maybe the odd away game against really strong teams where we want to set up more defensively but that'll be it IMO.

He's only getting games there because ASM and has been injured and we've had no other options with Isak injured and Murphy being awful when he gets on the pitch IMO. That paired with Longstaff emerging as someone who can do a decent job in CM has meant that Joe on the left made some sense.

We missed him a lot in CM against Arsenal IMO. He was a huge part of why we were able to go blow for blow with Man City earlier in the season IMO, just a relentless presence in the middle of the park.

If I had to guess I'd say the plan was possibly for ASM on the left and Ritchie in CM yesterday before Maxi came down I'll.

Although if there's anything to the rumours that ASM was angry that he wasn't starting then maybe not.

Tielemans/Maddison, Joao Pedro and some up and coming obscure mid who is either a 6 or 8 based on who we sign to start in mid. 

Max has to be injury free and Howe needs to trust him.