Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

3 minutes ago, Geordie Boyo said:

We’ve never really had traditional wingers in a long time. Our outfield players like maxi, miggy and Murphy like to cut in. Both tripper and target can put balls in on the flanks .

Fair enough our possession stats would certainly be good with that line up.

Edited by Whitley mag

Isak

Pedro                      Diaby                    
              Veiga       Bruno

Ugarte 

Grimaldo Botman  Schär Trippier

Pope

Not necessarily a must start 11 but wanted to put the new signings in. Add some cover for Schär and Tripps maybe. A lot of money but we would have very good depth and be able to rotate well And have quality.

1 minute ago, Ikon said:

Isak

Pedro                      Diaby                    
              Veiga       Bruno

Ugarte 

Grimaldo Botman  Schär Trippier

Pope

Not necessarily a must start 11 but wanted to put the new signings in. Add some cover for Schär and Tripps maybe. A lot of money but we would have very good depth and be able to rotate well And have quality.

I’ll have to YouTube this Veiga kid but that looks a tasty line up.

No Joelinton, Willock, Gordon, St Max and Wilson either. 

Could realistically see one of Pedro or Diaby added in the summer with the other players you’ve mentioned, if St Max left then possibly both.

I can't see us signing a full on attacking LB akin to Trippier. Don't get me wrong, Burn needs to be upgraded in the summer, but in our 4-3-3 the LB drops alongside the CBs into a 3 to aid in build up whilst the RB (Trippier) bombs forward. I can't see that changing in the short-medium term. Especially next season. Be a more defensively sound LB I think that's brought in, if we bring one in. Know absolutely nowt about that Grimaldo, if he's along those lines then fair. A Burn upgrade, a CM, a RW who can play up front if needed and a young right sided CB is what we need most of all in the summer.

I've seen many in the media make comparisons to how we play and how are as a team atm to earlyish Klopp Liverpool, circa 2016-17. They weren't in any European football in 2016-17 and were 2nd at the end of December, but when Mane went to the AFCON in January they won 1 in 7 as he was of similar importance to them as Bruno is to us hence our dip in form in February when he was suspended. He came back and they replicated their early season form and finished 4th. With CL football the following season, they made 4 summer signings; Salah, Robertson, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Solanke. Van Dijk came in in January. An overhaul or padding out of the squad won't happen in the summer but smart business like Liverpool did back then is what'll be required and what I think will happen.

Yes, Rice for me would bring our midfield on an even level with the biggest teams.

A winger and striker would propell us further.

My ideal summer would be something like:

Rice, Pedro, diaby. An a couple of raw younguns

So apparently the Saudi League gonna try and sign up to 50 top 5 European league players this summer.

I hope it is all of Man Us targets, all of Man City's targets, all of Arsenal's targets, .....

Our current lads have got us to third on merit, so many transfers from now on will be incremental ones, slight upgrades on what we already have, "not game changers".

It'll be interesting to see how they do it. The noises about FFP may mean some currently popular players may need to be sold to free up wages.

Wilson's 31 and has a poor injury record, so I'd spend money on a CF. I think another CF is much more important than an SS/AM like Maddison. Isak looks like he could play #10 if we want one.

4 hours ago, Stottie said:

I hope it is all of Man Us targets, all of Man City's targets, all of Arsenal's targets, .....

Our current lads have got us to third on merit, so many transfers from now on will be incremental ones, slight upgrades on what we already have, "not game changers".

It'll be interesting to see how they do it. The noises about FFP may mean some currently popular players may need to be sold to free up wages.

Wilson's 31 and has a poor injury record, so I'd spend money on a CF. I think another CF is much more important than an SS/AM like Maddison. Isak looks like he could play #10 if we want one.

Every Isak, Botman, Bruno, Pope level transfer is a game changer.

Does Newcastle need English players--hence the desire for Rice and Bellingham? Otherwise, I don't see the need for either one of them. They're good players, with a lot of potential, but the price they'd demand relative to their performance doesn't really seem in-line with their cost.

If anything, you'd want Real Madrid to overpay and sign Bellingham, that could potentially free up Tchouameni or Camavinga to leave Real? Camavinga is the better of the two French young guns, in my opinion, but those players aside, I don't see the need for someone in the Rice and Bellingham price-bracket, especially in the CDM role.

Brozovic from Inter could be gotten for very cheap, especially if Inter don't get CL football, as they are in financial crisis, and everyone knows it--so buyers are waiting for their owner to admit defeat before putting in bids. It could be a fire-sale there. Brozovic is one of the most underrated CDMs in the world.

Isak seemed to be the only player that you went for that was in the conventional "big hype" market. Botman, for example, was the choice of scouts who are ahead-of-the-curve. You weren't competing with Man Utd, Chelsea, or Real for him--your biggest competitor for his signature was Milan, and we've adopted a very low-key approach that has served us very well. Those other big clubs pay premiums for players that become terrible burdens if they fail.

West Ham's transfer business has actually been pretty good, but a little more flashy than Newcastle, the problem is Moyes has gotten a bunch of players that don't suit his tactics, and I think they're about to take some big losses on many of those players. Scamacca, for example, is who I want Milan to sign in the summer, but there are many other players there that West Ham have ruined, Aguerd, Paqueta, Vlasic, Haller--so I think it's better for Newcastle to continue on the path it's on rather than shifting towards a more "we need to splash the cash" because... you don't.

Grabbing good players in bad situations or scouting smarter (like you have previously) is the better choice than trying to make "statement signings." Statement signings are there to win "who won the transfer market" discussions which tend to age badly. Who knew about your Bruno before you bought him? Not many, but look at him now.

This last summer, Milan brought in a bunch of young talent, but our coach has not used them at all. We have this CB, named Thiaw, our manager (Pioli) barely used him, even though he has all this incredible talent, and then... with just an onslaught of injuries, he is forced to use him... and guess what? He is incredible. We have other young players that he hasn't used, that are as equally as talented, but refuses to use them... which during our 5-6 month-long injury crisis was a terrible decision, and now those same players are just sitting there with our first-team squad run ragged.

The point is: in Howe you have a manager who is tactically flexible, looking at how he's done with Joelinton as one of his biggest tactical chess move. I think there's also a benefit to bringing in players who are brought in with less fanfare because I feel like it allows the manager to mold them a little more, especially with how tactics these days require more buy-in from players, since you can't really have passengers in the team anymore.

Anyway, just my two (long) cents.

4 minutes ago, Milanista said:

Does Newcastle need English players--hence the desire for Rice and Bellingham? Otherwise, I don't see the need for either one of them. They're good players, with a lot of potential, but the price they'd demand relative to their performance doesn't really seem in-line with their cost.

If anything, you'd want Real Madrid to overpay and sign Bellingham, that could potentially free up Tchouameni or Camavinga to leave Real? Camavinga is the better of the two French young guns, in my opinion, but those players aside, I don't see the need for someone in the Rice and Bellingham price-bracket, especially in the CDM role.

Brozovic from Inter could be gotten for very cheap, especially if Inter don't get CL football, as they are in financial crisis, and everyone knows it--so buyers are waiting for their owner to admit defeat before putting in bids. It could be a fire-sale there. Brozovic is one of the most underrated CDMs in the world.

Isak seemed to be the only player that you went for that was in the conventional "big hype" market. Botman, for example, was the choice of scouts who are ahead-of-the-curve. You weren't competing with Man Utd, Chelsea, or Real for him--your biggest competitor for his signature was Milan, and we've adopted a very low-key approach that has served us very well. Those other big clubs pay premiums for players that become terrible burdens if they fail.

West Ham's transfer business has actually been pretty good, but a little more flashy than Newcastle, the problem is Moyes has gotten a bunch of players that don't suit his tactics, and I think they're about to take some big losses on many of those players. Scamacca, for example, is who I want Milan to sign in the summer, but there are many other players there that West Ham have ruined, Aguerd, Paqueta, Vlasic, Haller--so I think it's better for Newcastle to continue on the path it's on rather than shifting towards a more "we need to splash the cash" because... you don't.

Grabbing good players in bad situations or scouting smarter (like you have previously) is the better choice than trying to make "statement signings." Statement signings are there to win "who won the transfer market" discussions which tend to age badly. Who knew about your Bruno before you bought him? Not many, but look at him now.

This last summer, Milan brought in a bunch of young talent, but our coach has not used them at all. We have this CB, named Thiaw, our manager (Pioli) barely used him, even though he has all this incredible talent, and then... with just an onslaught of injuries, he is forced to use him... and guess what? He is incredible. We have other young players that he hasn't used, that are as equally as talented, but refuses to use them... which during our 5-6 month-long injury crisis was a terrible decision, and now those same players are just sitting there with our first-team squad run ragged.

The point is: in Howe you have a manager who is tactically flexible, looking at how he's done with Joelinton as one of his biggest tactical chess move. I think there's also a benefit to bringing in players who are brought in with less fanfare because I feel like it allows the manager to mold them a little more, especially with how tactics these days require more buy-in from players, since you can't really have passengers in the team anymore.

Anyway, just my two (long) cents.

Your posts are always so articulate and you seem to possess a huge knowledge of other teams - not just yours. I always enjoy reading your 'mini blogs'. You're definitely my favourite non-nufc fan poster on the forum and I think I echo that for a few of us on here.

Think the Rice and Bellingham type of signings doesn't make sense at this moment in time. This is due to us trying to solidify on the last few seasons and hopefully maintaining Champions League football if we get top 4 this year. A marquee signing like those listed above would be to go for the title, which isn't yet on the agenda ?.

12 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Great post, but I still would kind of like to sign Rice. I’m sure our actual transfer strategy will be more like you suggest though. 

I also think he would be a fantastic signing. He is young, but has so much experience in one of the most difficult and important positions to play, and reliably influences every match be plays in. What excites me is building a midfield that would play together for years. 

I get there is an English Premium but without trying to sound too Brexity there is nothing like having a good core of English players in the team. Even better if a few of them are local and fans. It’s a prestige thing and I do think it helps with the connection to the fans. 

I would hate to end up like Wolves with like only 2 first team squad players. 

Plus it allows me to be more invested in England games.

The problem with Rice/Bellingham is that we aren't one key player away from having a top-four squad - at least not one that can compete for top four while also playing in Europe.

We need to build the squad with 4-6 key additions, then we can start adding one or two superstar signings. Pre-FFP it wouldn't be an issue obviously, but as it is we can't do both.