Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

The sheer amount of money that is at stake if a club is relegated now is having an inverse effect on the quality at the bottom end of the table IMO. There is huge sums being thrown at players, and the quality (or at least raw financial value) of squads is way higher than any other league, but the standard of play is seeing diminishing returns as a result of what's at stake. The kind of people who are getting involved in buying clubs (Ashley is of course one example) are so often predatory, with zero emotional connection to the clubs, where the reason they're getting involved is because of the TV money gravy train. This encourages a safety at all costs mentality that spreads down to boardroom decision making, to the coaching level, and to the playing staff.

Spot on, I've been banging this drum to any random that'll listen to me about football for years. The money is poisoning the game.

The sheer amount of money that is at stake if a club is relegated now is having an inverse effect on the quality at the bottom end of the table IMO. There is huge sums being thrown at players, and the quality (or at least raw financial value) of squads is way higher than any other league, but the standard of play is seeing diminishing returns as a result of what's at stake. The kind of people who are getting involved in buying clubs (Ashley is of course one example) are so often predatory, with zero emotional connection to the clubs, where the reason they're getting involved is because of the TV money gravy train. This encourages a safety at all costs mentality that spreads down to boardroom decision making, to the coaching level, and to the playing staff.

Spot on, I've been banging this drum to any random that'll listen to me about football for years. The money is poisoning the game.

:thup:

Guest firetotheworks

I wonder at what point so much of a club's "soul" is destroyed that it becomes nothing more than a brand? None of us would devote this much time and emotion to Levis or Coca-Cola.

I remember thinking that until fan boys became a massive thing.

Quique Pina - former GM of Granada and currently GM of Cádiz - has been arrested under accusations of money laundering related to footballer transfers while he worked with the Pozzo family.

Color me surprised... not.

That the Watford lot?

Quique Pina - former GM of Granada and currently GM of Cádiz - has been arrested under accusations of money laundering related to footballer transfers while he worked with the Pozzo family.

Color me surprised... not.

That the Watford lot?

Yeah. At one point they owned Watford, Granada and Udinese. The Spanish Police's Financial Crimes Unit has been investigating them for over a year, and it seems they got enough evidence to at least arrest Pina, who was their business partner in Spain.

Guest firetotheworks

Just watching Football Legends on Sky and this one's about Roberto Baggio. :drool: What a fucking player he was. Still crazy that him and Baresi missed the penalties in '94, like. It just doesn't seem right.

I wonder at what point so much of a club's "soul" is destroyed that it becomes nothing more than a brand? None of us would devote this much time and emotion to Levis or Coca-Cola.

I was with you all the way until you mentioned Coca-Cola.

Henry sent an email on January 27 — in response to an inquiry about a footballer of Cameroonian descent — to another senior West Ham official and an agent.

In the email, Henry wrote: ‘We don’t want any more Africans and he’s not good enough. I sent Thomas to watch him and the other lad last week and he said no. If Palace take them good luck.’ Sportsmail knows the identity of both recipients but a stipulation before being sent the email was that they should remain anonymous.

Henry was asked if there is a club policy regarding African players. Initially he replied ‘no’, only to be informed that we understand he has told more than one agent in the last month that the club does not want any more African players.

Henry then confirmed it was true and suggested it was a policy supported by club management. ‘Yeah,’ Henry replied. ‘Because we had three and we felt we didn’t particularly want any more African players.’

Asked why, Henry replied: ‘Erm, no reason. It’s nothing racist at all. It’s just sometimes they can have a bad attitude.

‘We had problems with Sakho, with Diafra Sakho. We find that when they are not in the team they cause mayhem. It’s nothing against the African race at all.

‘I mean, look, there are top African players. There’s not a problem with them. It’s just sometimes they cause a lot of problems when they are not playing, as we had with Diafra. He’s left, so great. It’s nothing personal at all.’

Asked if he thought his view was discriminatory towards African players, Henry asked: ‘In what way?’

:mackems: