Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

Last week the Canadian Premier League which is set to begin next Spring launched it's new branding.

400px-Canadian_Premier_League_Logo.png

This is the logo that will be used on the majority of CPL games, there is an all red version that will be used on special occasions like Canada day, as well as the Canadian Championships (Canadian FA Cup), and North American Champions League.

http://canpl.ca/brand-story/

It is expected to announce the first club in 9 days time, this is expected to be a team based in York (Greater Toronto). They are said to be called York 9 FC, after the 9 districts that make up York. Jimmy Brennan, the former Toronto FC captain is said to be part owner of them.

Hamilton and Winnipeg are already confirmed as 2 teams, however they have not announced their names/branding. Calgary want a team but are facing difficulties with getting their stadium ready, and Halifax have already submitted planning permission for a stadium. FC Edmonton have pulled out of the NASL, and are expected to take a place in the CPL as well. Other places such as Moncton in New Brunswick, as well as Regina and Saskatoon have also expressed interest in having a team. There is also likely to be at least 1 team in the British Columbia area as well.

In other Canadian Soccer news, Toronto FC lost the North American Champions League final on penalties last week.

Probably yet another subscription based service.

I'm all for competition for the rights to screen football but who's actually gonna subscribe to that service?

Guest firetotheworks

That's fucking shit, I watch that a lot. It gives me better leverage for when I threaten to leave Virgin at the end of this contract though, I suppose.

Probably yet another subscription based service.

Eleven Sports Network

Company

Eleven Sports Network is a multinational group of sports television channels. Based in the United Kingdom, it is owned by Andrea Radrizzani—executive of the sports marketing agency MP & Silva—and The Channel Company. Wikipedia

Founder: Andrea Radrizzani

Andrea Radrizzani is an Italian businessman and the owner of EFL Championship side Leeds United. Wikipedia

Apparently ES are targeting the PL rights as well.

Guest neesy111

Sky were unwilling to pay £18m a season for them.  Considering how much they pay for a single PL game that seems a good deal.

Sky were unwilling to pay £18m a season for them.  Considering how much they pay for a single PL game that seems a good deal.

Depends on how many subcribers they'll lose I guess. If they think everyone just wants the PL they might think it's worth the risk.

Does seem cheap though.

I read the Telegraph story on this and they reckon that ES could end up selling them back to Sky or BT as they haven't finalised their UK plans yet.

Disgrace that;

However, Liverpool fans will be shocked to find out that they have only been allocated 16,626 tickets - with only 63 per cent of those for general supporters.

The most expensive of these tickets are priced at £394 in Category 1 (or £315 with a restricted view).

Category 2 are on sale for £280 (£223 for a restricted view) with Category 3 on sale for £140 (£109 for a restricted view).

Category 4 are the cheapest tickets available and they're priced at £61 (£48 for a restricted view).

I mean, I'm #teamWimbledon, but they didn't lie, cheat or steal the position - they "bought" it from horrible owners. If the FA want that to not happen again they should add some rules and regulations to prohibit it, but they haven't. Fear it might become more common in the future as teams get separated from their supporters and roots, being turned into "franchises" for their owners instead.

PEP WANTED NEWCASTLE MOVE UNDER ROBSON

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has opened up about his desire to join Sir Bobby Robson at Newcastle in 1999.

Speaking in a new film due to be released on June 1 called 'Bobby Robson: More Than A Manager,' Guardiola revealed his plan.

Following a successful playing career in Johan Cruyff's Barcelona 'Dream Team' in the early 90s and under Robson, the club captain suffered with injuries later in the decade and was looking for a change of scenery.

“I am going to explain something secret,” Guardiola said. “After the purge in Barcelona, he went to Newcastle and I sent him a letter to offer me the chance to go to him and play at Newcastle.

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has opened up about his desire to join Sir Bobby Robson at Newcastle in 1999.

Speaking in a new film due to be released on June 1 called 'Bobby Robson: More Than A Manager,' Guardiola revealed his plan.

Following a successful playing career in Johan Cruyff's Barcelona 'Dream Team' in the early 90s and under Robson, the club captain suffered with injuries later in the decade and was looking for a change of scenery.

“I am going to explain something secret,” Guardiola said. “After the purge in Barcelona, he went to Newcastle and I sent him a letter to offer me the chance to go to him and play at Newcastle.

Read that earlier. What got me is apparently the reason Robson said no was because we had 'too much quality'... what fucking Jamie McClen :lol:

Read that earlier. What got me is apparently the reason Robson said no was because we had 'too much quality'... what fucking Jamie McClen :lol:

Did we not have Dyer, Lee, Speed?

Think Peps legs had gone too, plus SBR was loyal to Lee and Speed (who were getting on): we didn't exactly do badly for the 2/3 years after that