Brighton & Hove Albion 0-0 Newcastle United (13/08/2022)

BlueStar

2 minutes ago, nufcnick said:

We will get absolutely annihilated next week 

Tbf I think every team heading the Etihad will be thinking that, no shame really

Edited by HawK

Decent result but not impressed with the performance like. Thought we were miles off it and completely lacked intensity, looked like we expected an easier game than we got. The need for quality in the attacking third has never been more obvious. 

In a way it’s a sign of progress. But I’m actually slightly disappointed in that performance. I know that Brighton’s an OK side, I know that it was hot as hell, I know we’re a work in progress but still. Pope had to make a couple of worldies and I can’t remember Sanchez even making one save. We had trouble passing through their press, we had trouble getting the ball to stick upfield and we also were carved open a few too many times for comfort. But, a point here is a good point under the circumstances I suppose and a clean sheet is great. But a few more bodies in attacking positions wouldn’t go amiss to say the least. Hopefully we’ll get what we need the last weeks of the window. 

A point away at Brighton is definitely a good point so on that side I'm happy.

We really need some attacking reinforcements before the window closes though, I thought even though Miggy looked very sharp at times he's never going to be what we hope he can be in terms of output, same for Maxi, who IMO is a poor footballer who's a very talented dribbler.

Willock was absolutely pointless today as the more advanced of the midfield three, just doesnt have the quality to consistently influence games, the Maddison signing was exactly what we needed IMO.

Edit: Nick Pope MOTM, two outstanding saves and definitely the correct choice for No1.

Dan Burn should not be dropped once Targett is fit he should start ahead even if it's ahead of Botman. (Who had a decent full debut today too)

Edited by Tiotes Witch Doctor

Happy with the result, poor performance.  The toothless attack means that the pressure gets ramped up vs good sides - we desperately need additional quality, not sure if we’ll sign anyone mind, I don’t detect any urgency.  Trippier was as bad as I’ve seen him mind - skinned every time.

Ah well.  I would’ve taken this at 3pm. 

4 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

To keep ASM on? Pick someone else there? That’s normally the two choices you have vis. a substitute - keep the original on or choose another.

Great answer, ASM offered nothing all game other than the threat of being sent off.

Think it's important not to overreact or be too upset. Brighton are a good side, it was 31 degree heat, and we're the long distance travelling away side. 

Everything Howe wants them to do was still there I think, just far too many players not able to get anything right whatsoever. Lots of missed challenges, sloppy giveaways and general poor passing broke down the structure of our game and we never really got going. Despite that we've took a clean sheet and a point.

The main thing is how clearly we need at least 2 attacking reinforcements.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Good point, we are rock solid at the back, not great going forward as we and the club already know. Hopefully a real push for some attacking players this week.

What? They played some great balls into our box. Don't think our back 4 was 'rock solid' at all.

Pope was excellent and they couldn't finish for shit. 

Will take that all day long. Don't want to be too harsh on the players because I didn't think Brighton were any good either and it looked like all of the players were suffering with the heat and agitated.

Pope - 8.5

Trippier - 5.5

Schar - 7

Botman - 7

Burn - 8

Bruno - 5.5

Joelinton - 5.5

Willock - 5.5

ASM - 5

Wilson - 4

Almiron - 6.5

Good point.

We were pretty shite but it's a testament to the job Howe's done that we weren't exactly run ragged. We're at least capable of keeping the ball and keeping relentless pressure off ourselves these days. Brighton deserved to win but they didn't exactly create a hatful of chances either.

Desperately need someone on the right that we can play most of our attacking football through. Almiron has turned into a good squad option but not sure he will ever offer much threat. ASM is too unpredictable to be our main creator, would rather we played down the right more often and created space for him to be the outlet on the left.