Loris Karius

NWMag

14 minutes ago, SEMTEX said:

I guess this is just a fundamental disagreement on what you see as a competition. For me every spot on the team is a competition, even with a clear starter. There is always the potential for people to improve (or degrade...), and that's especially common with new signings. For all we know Pope could've been a bag of shit and Dubs would've waltzed back into the team. The immediacy of Dubs going just leave a sour taste, which wasn't helped by who he signed for. For whatever reason he and Howe musn't be best of friends too. So I'd rather we just sacked him off and moved on with the whole thing.

I'm sure we will. 

That's why the question of which one to prefer for this season is very easy. Karius all the way.

Commentator over here was touching on the 2nd goal being Karius' fault but couldn't hear the majority of what he said.

Didn't think it was Karius' fault at all personally, although at the same time Pope has pulled out some worldies this season and you never know if he would've managed to tip it over/slap it away.

Man Utd fan in the pub I was watching in was giving it the biggun saying Karius should have saved it, but it's total bollocks, gets caught out by the deflection same as any other keeper would've imo.

As for Dubs v Karius, I've nothing against Dubravka, think he's a good keeper, but I'd rather we have a hungry backup with a point to prove who wants to be here. As far as I'm aware Karius's issues have always been mental rather than any lacking in ability - my Liverpool supporting mate rates him and said he was great up until the infamous final which just seemed to break him. A decent performance yesterday and the full backing of the club and fans, with a brilliant man-manager like Howe - I'd back him to get back to his old self for good if he sticks around.

• 3 months later...

Hmmm interesting. I still doubt Dubravka will be happy as 2nd choice and to be fair he is too good to be on the bench. He could easily get the majority of games in a season for a midtable PL club. I don't want Karius as 2nd choice. He is miles off what is needed at this level.

All hinges on Dubravka imo. In terms of quality, it means the best outcome is  having Pope - Dubravka - Karius as our GK roster next year. 

If Dubravka leaves, we could go for one of Forster/Krul to compete with Karius as backup if as has been speculated we're looking to bolster our club trained numbers for the CL. I think that is a weaker selection though. 

Edited by Barnes23

Dubs and Darlow should absolutely leave. But Karius remaining 3rd choice behind Dubs for this 2nd half of the season makes me think Howe doesn't really want Karius as anything more than a 3rd body.

1 hour ago, Barnes23 said:

All hinges on Dubravka imo. In terms of quality, it means the best outcome is  having Pope - Dubravka - Karius as our GK roster next year. 

If Dubravka leaves, we could go for one of Forster/Krul to compete with Karius as backup if as has been speculated we're looking to bolster our club trained numbers for the CL. I think that is a weaker selection though. 

Agree, don't think Dubs will be happy being no 2 goalkeeper with him being an international regular, it could affect his position as his country's first choice goalkeeper.

We could also look at bringing in a highly rated young keeper to develop and challenge Karius for the back up role if we don't want to go the Forster/Krul route. That would give us a nice mix of experience and/or promise for back up keepers.

1 hour ago, nbthree3 said:

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticFC/status/1664254216548802568?s=20

Newcastle United want back-up goalkeeper Loris Karius to remain at the club next season.

Head coach Eddie Howe has spoken to the player, who is out of contract at the end of the season, and tentative conversations are taking place over a new deal.

I thought he wanted to be reunited (and you can't blame him when he's not starting!) with his tidy other half?!

Broken glass!

https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/who-diletta-leotta-meet-stunning-girlfriend-loris-karius-goalkeeper-set-face-manchester-united

14 minutes ago, Beth said:

What's this obsession with bringing Krul back? He's well past it now and was dropped by Norwich halfway through the season.

It's more a box-ticking exercise. You need a quota of Academy-grown players and the third choice keeper role is the easiest way to fill it. 

20 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Krul would make sense to fill the home grown academy spot for Europe. They can always leave it unfilled though. 

You need 3 keepers and by if 1 isn't homegrown you lose a squad spot which would be an annoying choice to make.