Loris Karius

NWMag

Only thing that worries me, if he's anything approaching a good keeper why was he below both Dubravka and Darlow in Howe's pecking order? It's a bit of damning indictment of how he's considered. 

On the other hand, he must be better than Darlow. I just refuse to believe he isn't.

Edited by Ronaldo

The one thing which I reckon he might be nervous about is claiming crosses. Pope is brilliant at those, but you do need to have a lot of confidence in yourself to commit, and with Karius's history, can't see him overflowing with it. I guess he could punch effectively as an alternatively, but I read today that missing one of those is also one of the black marks against him. Still he was obviously a highly rated keeper at some point, hopefully he'll be up for it and will be relishing the opportunity to rebuild his reputation.

20 minutes ago, TRon said:

The one thing which I reckon he might be nervous about is claiming crosses. Pope is brilliant at those, but you do need to have a lot of confidence in yourself to commit, and with Karius's history, can't see him overflowing with it. I guess he could punch effectively as an alternatively, but I read today that missing one of those is also one of the black marks against him. Still he was obviously a highly rated keeper at some point, hopefully he'll be up for it and will be relishing the opportunity to rebuild his reputation.

Do Man U throw many crosses in? Corners yes, but (yes just from highlights) most of their play seems to be through the channels and slipped balls to the strikers rather than hoisting them in from the wings

1 hour ago, Ronaldo said:

Only thing that worries me, if he's anything approaching a good keeper why was he below both Dubravka and Darlow in Howe's pecking order? It's a bit of damning indictment of how he's considered. 

Only the other hand, he must be better than Darlow. I just refused to believe he isn't.

Their length of contract/squad harmony probably paid a part in that. I think loaning out Darlow and extending Karius contract shows which one he favours.

23 hours ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Do Man U throw many crosses in? Corners yes, but (yes just from highlights) most of their play seems to be through the channels and slipped balls to the strikers rather than hoisting them in from the wings

All about stretching the back 4 and playing balls in behind. I hope we play a deep narrow back 4 as it will entice their full backs forward and help us to counter. They could play into our hands but I may have to watch the game sitting on the toilet. They also didn't look comfortable being pressed last night a fast start by us and a quick goal then switch to a narrow block could be a perfect game.

25 minutes ago, TorchyTBB said:

I may have missed it, but do we know for sure that Karius is definitely playing, rather than Gillespie?

Outside of seeing the teamsheet, everything has told us that's the case.

I hope he’s been told privately that he’s playing well in advance. This Karius or Gillespie question has wound me up a bit this week given the latter is unquestionably atrocious to the point I’d abandon all hope for a result.

I think from what Eddie has been saying we can expect Karius to start (after the game last week he spoke about the 2 keepers but spoke way more about Karius). Not sure what to expect from Karius, don't like that he's not played for 2 years but Gillespie would be well out of his depth (and also hasn't played for 2 years).

:lol: At the above.

Seriously though, I hope all this coverage is helping him to see the support he has from all angles today and it doesn't raise any more nerves for him than necessary.

Would love to hear our fans go nuts for him on his first touch today.