Loris Karius

NWMag

Not sure he's the answer as a back up, but it was a good performance today, and he can hold his head up. Second goal, probably half the keepers in the league save it, half don't. Suspect all of them don't if they haven't played a competitive game for so long. 

Don’t fault him at all for the second, yes he got a hand to it but after a deflection like that you really can’t ask for much more. Pope saves it with his added height maybe but it’s definitely not an error. He made two fantastic saves as well

2 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Don't think he was suspect on either goal and yet still feel better could have be done, though its hard to gage on deflections its not hard to imagine that's saved against us.

Taller keepers probably save it, or those with ridiculously strong hands, but I think it's beating most keepers. 

Had no chance with the first and was bang unlucky with the second imo. A better keeper maybe saves it but it screws up off Botman's instep and the flight/spin of the ball changes in the air a yard before it gets to him. Anyone having a pop at him for that needs to have a word with themselves, it wasn't an error, he just couldn't react in time. Everything else was fine and maybe now commentators, pundits and fans can shut the fuck up about him and let him get on with his career. 

Like I said in the match thread, I don’t want to be harsh on him at all but thought he should do better for the second goal. Yeah it takes a deflection but he had positioned himself at his near post and if you get a hand to it, you should make the save. He’s rusty and understandably so, he’s had/got his demons.

First goal you could argue he could have positioned himself 5 yards further out to cover his line as well as give an opportunity to catch but it was just a really well worked free kick. That’s canny nit picky of me. 

Hope this jump starts things for him, he’s a good keeper and he hasn’t deserved how his career has been since 2018. 

48 minutes ago, Andy said:

Taller keepers probably save it, or those with ridiculously strong hands, but I think it's beating most keepers. 

That's it for me. Pope might well have got it as he's Stretch Armstrong, but that was a very awkward one and 19/20 times he quickly made exactly the right reaction for the intended shot.

35 minutes ago, Ste said:

Like I said in the match thread, I don’t want to be harsh on him at all but thought he should do better for the second goal. Yeah it takes a deflection but he had positioned himself at his near post and if you get a hand to it, you should make the save. He’s rusty and understandably so, he’s had/got his demons.

First goal you could argue he could have positioned himself 5 yards further out to cover his line as well as give an opportunity to catch but it was just a really well worked free kick. That’s canny nit picky of me. 

Hope this jump starts things for him, he’s a good keeper and he hasn’t deserved how his career has been since 2018. 

Watching it again he had committed to the dive to save the shot, so I think it is harsh. Would Pope have saved it? Maybe but who knows? If Karius had got sent off for that gaffe against Liverpool, would we have have forgiven him?

He did admirably, but it shows how valuable Pope is. Pope is dominant at set pieces whereas I felt Karius was getting bullied at times. I also believe Pope would have saved that second goal due to his incredible reactions and height.

2 minutes ago, mouldy_uk said:

Wonder when/if we still see him again 

With respect to him, I hope we never see him again as Pope should play every game in every competition. He's definitely upped the attractiveness of the team though.