Newcastle United 1-1 Bournemouth (17/08/2022)

jack j

Just now, Inferior Acuña said:

Shit, but booing ffs.

Booing is too much but spending over £200m on improvements to literally look like a Championship outfit is baffling. The Almirons, Joelintons, Frasers etc just can't be relied upon in any context to produce when we need them to. And that's before you even look at the embarrassing dross that came off the bench.

Gonna be a very frustrating season.

We've got a manager and somewhere in the region of 8-10 players who I think are capable of being a very exciting team that wins a lot of games.

However, the next 8 or 10 players after that in the squad are just so far off the aforementioned players in terms of quality that they're going to hold them back a lot. It'll be frustrating to watch.

question for the "we didn't buy enough" ultras - what amount of players do you think prevent goals from ever being conceded, having bad games, or even losing occasionally to shithouse teams? because i'm pretty sure the answer doesn't exist.

Fucking poor.

Our central midfield has nothing. Bruno can make a pass for those to run on too, but fuck me he needs someone getting on those balls. If our crosses got past the wingbacks, it was straight to the keepers hands. Absolutely no one in the box wanting it, no midfielder coming into the box for it.

In play they fucking hid behind the opposition players, fucking Schar, Trippier, and Targett had to come up field for the ball.

There is no excuses there was no movement from them at all.

Miggy is so left footed and you could maybe get away with that if he played on the fucking left wing, not the right.

Willock seems to be doing things just to say he tried, but he was putting balls over the heads of our attackers and into the goalkeeper, and shooting from distance.

We know what we needed in the summer and we didn’t get it. It should have absolutely been the priority, especially when Botman has been rotated out of the team so often.

Take out ASM and Wilson and we have nothing, and no pace.

Terrible result.

Bournemouth were really good at what they tried to do.

We didn't move the ball fast enough to be able to find an opening in their wall of 10.

Entire team seemed a bit off today in terms of work rate which was maybe the most surprising thing.

We'll do better against teams who will try to play more. They treated us as a Liverpool or Man City. Not many teams will do that.

Credit to Bournemouth who earned what they got, but we were poor. A bit lucky to get a penalty, if I'm being honest. Ditch VAR and we don't get it.

The biggest issue is no quality at all from the wings or from AM. Not especially good movement from Isak either, compared to Wilson who makes poor crosses into chances, but he's only just joined the club.

We hit the post twice, Joelinton's was the inside of the post, so not a complete disaster, but not good enough for where we want to be.

2 minutes ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

Beneath the 3/4 quality players we have, the rest are still bang average.

We can't play without ASM and Wilson. And we're missing Shelvey. Bruno needs to play higher.

The only fucker with an eye for a pass are Tripps and Bruno.

This inverted (shit) wingers formation aint great either - one of those days.

If ASM was on left and someone his standard on the right then it's a different story... but with useless wingers when it comes to final ball it's painful stuff. Far too poor out wide and Howe is one setting us up to attack that way.

It's definitely starting to look like Willock is only useful as an impact sub and Murphy, Fraser and Almiron have to be replaced with better players.

1 minute ago, Klaus said:

Bournemouth setting up like they playing Man City ffs.

We’re gonna get that now - our home record and nearly breaking Man City sent out a massive statement.

i genuinely believe with maximum and Anderson on today we would have won that. We need to just get through games until players return and replace likes of willock with better each window. It was always gonna take time.

We’ve also been up against it with ref decisions this season so far and currently sit at 10th (could drop to 12th if palace and Leeds both win) so bright side people.

Feel like it was obvious what Bournemouth's game plan was from minute one. I'd have brought Wood on much earlier, one way to bypass a low block is to hit a target in the box and try and disrupt them. We were just banging our head against a brick wall for the last 30 mins. 

It’s frustrating but when teams set up and are well drilled as these were today then we will see this type of match play out over and over again. We lack that attacking output to make the difference in games like these, the depth in quality is just not there yet in this squad. The next 2 windows will be busy on the attacking front, seems to me that we set out to build the base of this team starting at the back and we move forward up the pitch in adding the quality we need in our attacking positions.. people twisting about not doing enough in the windows so far is just plain blurted out frustration but understandable when you have to sit through games like that. Let’s remember this squad needed to be entirely reinvented top to bottom and that will take time and more than the £200m we’ve already splashed out. I said it time and time again on here this is a transitional squad in a transitional season.

However I will question the performance today anyway, the lack of invention was slightly concerning given how much time we had to prepare for this one but again that falls on the heads of the players in the end. Constant crosses to no one when they are formed well in their low block isn’t going to cut it, we didn’t stretch them enough or move the ball quick enough. A slight lack of effort perhaps as we perked up briefly after the pen.. it’s a shame but it is what it is. On to the next one.

Edited by Nine

Bournemouth were immense.

Our team obviously struggles to break teams down who are sitting back. This is a problem we haven't had in 14 years. 14 years of living off scraps. We will grow and get better. Have faith

P.s. Some of our support are fickle as fck

2 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

Don't get booing every poor performance. Should be reserved for expressing opposition to management etc at dire times imo, not when trying to build something positive.

I don’t get booing at all tbh.  Pantomime wank.  Grown adults booing is embarrassing.