Newcastle United 1-1 Bournemouth (17/08/2022)

jack j

12 minutes ago, Numbers said:

So did the club/team not try today?

I agreed with you that they tried and even said so. But even so, we dominated, had enough to be able to score but the quality was below par due to the fact that we have some players that truly is below the standard of the premier league. People then will as people are get frustrated. But as far as I could see no one demanded a 9-0 win. 

We should however capitalized on having so much of the ball and also the amount of shots we had. So people being dissatisfied isn’t automatically so that people demand a proper hiding of the team. Some might have said it tounge in cheek. But thinking we should have won it isn’t the same as demanding that they win comfortably in my eyes.

Guest reefatoon

We went back to the days where we run out of ideas so just start launching ridiculous 30 yard shit shots into the stands. Was not a great performance in the final third. Wish we had put that £35m towards a right winger instead of a CB to sit on the bench. Almiron is infuriating with being so one footed, it’s baffling why we play him on that wing when he has no right foot at all.

The indecision from some of our players, then when they actually make the decision it's piss poor and hopeful [emoji38]

I swear I watched almiron run after a ball that was literally rolling to Trippier on the wing, and he collected it basically nullifying Tripps.

Why wouldn't he pull off and give him options instead ffs. 

Well played Bournemouth, about as perfect a game plan against us as you'll probably get. They even looked fairly dangerous countering us.

11 minutes ago, maze said:

I’d argue we are amongst the bottom five teams attacking wise. 

I wouldn't say so when we've everyone fit. Hopefully Wilson stays fit if he isn't being so heavily relied upon now.  

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

What a game for me to choose to break my 8 year hiatus. Just back now and I have to say that the match didn't feel right to me even before kick off, something just felt off. 

I don't want to go overboard, it was very flat and despite completely dominating possession we rarely looked like carving anything out.

I could single out individual poor performances - Schar, Joelinton, and Fraser were particularly bad, but the truth is that they were all either off it and/or the game plan wasn't doing them any favours. We looked slow, aimless, and without a real clue what to do to break them down. I know I'll probably get stick for this, but Willock was the only player doing anything with any zip and urgency going forward, Burn was probably the only player who didn't really do much wrong. 

The plan seemed too often to be to go through Trippier, overlap and cross, but the box was too often empty or the ball was poor. We missed ASM but tbh I'm not sure we'd have won with him considering how off it the likes of Trippier, Bruno, and Joelinton were compared to their usual standards. 

Having said all that, as poor as we were we still had the chances to win, hitting the post, the bar, and working the 'keeper all in that period at the end of the first half. 

It could have so easily been another one of those days where it was a 1-0 loss as well though, the penalty decision was extremely lucky and absolutely not a clear and obvious error by the ref who was fucking shit throughout. 

A bad day at the office and a lot of work to do on how to break teams down. 

Pope 6

Trippier 6

Schar 4.5

Burn 6.5

Targett 5

Joelinton 4.5

Bruno 5.5

Willock 5.5

Fraser 4

Isak 5.5

Almiron 4.5

Longstaff 5

Murphy 6

Harsh on Almiron - was one of the 'better' players - ran the channels, tracked back - the lad just lacks an end product.  I thought it was Targett's worst game.

18 minutes ago, worthy said:

I agreed with you that they tried and even said so. But even so, we dominated, had enough to be able to score but the quality was below par due to the fact that we have some players that truly is below the standard of the premier league. People then will as people are get frustrated. But as far as I could see no one demanded a 9-0 win. 

We should however capitalized on having so much of the ball and also the amount of shots we had. So people being dissatisfied isn’t automatically so that people demand a proper hiding of the team. Some might have said it tounge in cheek. But thinking we should have won it isn’t the same as demanding that they win comfortably in my eyes.

Really disapointing to see some 'Fans' saying Howes been found out and calling for his head on Youtube Live Fan Reaction Accounts, its proper Knee Jerk shite.

Thought Almiron put a good shift in. Piss poor strength in the Bournemouth box was the issue. Couldn’t break down a heated chocolate today.

The lack of Blaydon races and HEY HO LETS GO as well as flags missing really pissed on a usual expensive day out with the bairn. 

Yes. I know the queen died. But it felt like 90 minutes of mourning. 

3 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

A lot of us called this in the summer. Need a CM.  Need a wide attacker. At some point games we were winning 1-0 would turn into draws and it’s happened from the off. 

Real test of Howe’s skills here. 

Which game have we drawn after leading 1-0?

1 minute ago, duo said:

Harsh on Almiron - was one of the 'better' players - ran the channels, tracked back - the lad just lacks an end product.  I thought it was Targett's worst game.

He runs out wide, puts his foot on the ball, turns and passes backwards. Every time. He's not good enough, RW was a gaping squad issue that we didn't address in the window.

Joelinton (whom on here I was told was good enough on the ball for us to get into the top 6 in the coming years yesterday) was shite, Schar was shocking in possession, Fraser wasteful and Isak starved of anything. Bruno and Willock would have the ball in front of the Bournemouth box frequently in the second half with no one actually in the box besides Isak, and people are blaming Willock for that! :lol: Who's he meant to aim for? Milburn's ghost?

We were rank, the result was a disgrace and probably a few, myself included, need to rethink our chances of getting 7th. 6 points dropped at Wolves away, Palace and Bournemouth at home. Shit.

Atmosphere pre match was woeful due to no music, a (well observed) minutes silence, a really badly observed God Save The King (estimate around 80% of the crowd didn’t sing - myself included). It’s almost as if, as everyone has been saying all week, most people just don’t give a shit about all this Queen stuff. She was old. She died. Get over it. All this forced mourning bullshit is just a facade, forced down people’s throats.

The downbeat atmosphere continued and the team struggled to get going as a result. As flat as I’ve heard St James’ in years to be honest.

11 minutes ago, duo said:

Disagree on anyone being harsh on Almiron, he’s an attacking player who offers zero attacking threat. If anything he ruins more attacks than he helps, he’s an absolutely terrible footballer.

3 hours ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Some of them that we fizzed into the box Isak was nowhere to be seen. 

Wilson was the same against Forest [where he eventually got a break thanks to Joelinton] and Brighton. We need somebody else [Willock] to be getting into the box in support.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Disagree on anyone being harsh on Almiron, he’s an attacking player who offers zero attacking threat. If anything he ruins more attacks than he helps, he’s an absolutely terrible footballer.

Nah, he and Burn were comfortably our best players today. He’s always on the move. It’s just his final ball (which I agree is a major issue). But he’s definitely not a terrible footballer.

1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

1 goal involvement in 38 appearances.

Aye… as I’ve said. The final bit of the jigsaw from him is solely lacking. But his all round play and how well he stretches teams and finds space is good in my opinion.

Edited by Shadow Puppets

To finish 7th-8th you're looking at around 10-14 draws and losses across 38 games. If people are shitting themselves over one draw where we still dominated possession / chances, then they'll be spinning by the time that 10th defeat comes around. Not every game is a banger performance, irrespective of team, issues will be analysed and worked on appropriately by Howe and the coaching staff, on to the next one.

2 minutes ago, GEFAFWISP said:

To finish 7th-8th you're looking at around 10-14 draws and losses across 38 games. If people are shitting themselves over one draw where we still dominated possession / chances, then they'll be spinning by the time that 10th defeat comes around. Not every game is a banger performance, irrespective of team, issues will be analysed and worked on appropriately by Howe and the coaching staff, on to the next one.

It's not just one draw though is it

We were and are severely lacking creativity and width. Felt that our game plan was just Trippier and inshallah. Simply just not good enough if we want to get into Europe. 

3 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Aye… as I’ve said. The final bit of the jigsaw from him is solely lacking. But his all round play and how well he stretches teams and finds space is good in my opinion.

He's shite. Not good enough and never will be; I've tried to keep faith longer than quite a few but if he's showing fuck all against a side that will finish either 20th or 19th, when will he ever come good? His 'final ball' has been lacking since he signed for us: 3 and a half years ago. That position was an issue that we didn't address in the summer and we'll suffer as a result.