Newcastle United 1-1 Bournemouth (17/08/2022)

jack j

2 hours ago, Danh1 said:

Got in the ground and they were playing Atomic Kitten - Eternal Flame and then silence for 10 mins. Utter shite 

I mean. if it was Susannah Hoffs, fair enough, her voice often leaves me speechless.

To choose Atomic Kitten might leave me dumbfounded I suppose.

1 minute ago, Happinesstan said:

I mean. if it was Susannah Hoffs, fair enough, her voice often leaves me speechless.

To choose Atomic Kitten might leave me dumbfounded I suppose.

It was The Bangles version apparently. Still though, not ideal :lol: 

8 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Aye… as I’ve said. The final bit of the jigsaw from him is solely lacking. But his all round play and how well he stretches teams and finds space is good in my opinion.

It's absolutely pointless though when he's playing in a position where he is expected to contribute in goals and assists.

24 minutes ago, duo said:

Harsh on Almiron - was one of the 'better' players - ran the channels, tracked back - the lad just lacks an end product.  I thought it was Targett's worst game.

The touch. The fucking touch. Despite being one-footed, it’s that he also has to steady himself every cunting time. Seconds count in football and until you’ve seen it - live and in front of your own eyes - I’m not sure how much you realise it impacts. 

Definitely found myself shouting “first time” at him today and on either occasion, nah.

29 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Disagree on anyone being harsh on Almiron, he’s an attacking player who offers zero attacking threat. If anything he ruins more attacks than he helps, he’s an absolutely terrible footballer.

The player has limitations as opposed to playing badly.  Totally agree he's not good enough.

After the pain of what we've come through I really can't bear to be miserable. I never fancied us for anything more than a 9th/10th finish and that's probably what we're heading for, as it's basically a transitional season cos the squad still isn't there, despite the investment; there was nothing on the bench. Absolutely nothing that could affect the game. 

We absolutely dominated today but couldn't find a winner; credit to Bournemouth, they came here for a point and achieved it with a professional, organised performance. Joelinton's effort squeaks inside the post before half time and we're all sat here talking about a win and three points ground-out the ugly way. It wasn't to be, c'est la vie. We're still very much a different beast but we'll have off days. 

Was at the ground with both me parents today when, this time a year ago, I could barely envisage ever going again. It's gonna take a lot more shite results for me to lose that sense of the bigger picture. 

Agree that the atmosphere was mostly flat, mind; the enforced non-celebratory vibe definitely affecting the day. Even at half time the songs they played were enough to send you to fucking sleep. The 'one of those days' feels to the game early on saw to it that the atmosphere never really got going. 

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

After the pain of what we've come through I really can't bear to be miserable. I never fancied us for anything more than a 9th/10th finish and that's probably what we're heading for, as it's basically a transitional season cos the squad still isn't there, despite the investment; there was nothing on the bench. Absolutely nothing that could affect the game. 

We absolutely dominated today but couldn't find a winner; credit to Bournemouth, they came here for a point and achieved it with a professional, organised performance. Joelinton's effort squeaks inside the post before half time and we're all sat here talking about a win and three points ground-out the ugly way. It wasn't to be, c'est la vie. We're still very much a different beast but we'll have off days. 

Was at the ground with both me parents today when, this time a year ago, I could barely envisage ever going again. It's gonna take a lot more shite results for me to lose that sense of the bigger picture. 

Agree that the atmosphere was mostly flat, mind; the enforced non-celebratory vibe definitely affecting the day. Even at half time the songs they played were enough to send you to fucking sleep. The 'one of those days' feels to the game early on saw to it that the atmosphere never really got going. 

Agree 100%

41 minutes ago, Decky said:

I wouldn't say so when we've everyone fit. Hopefully Wilson stays fit if he isn't being so heavily relied upon now.  

48 minutes ago, duo said:

Bournemouth looked much more dangerous going forward.  Game was crying out for a 'Maddison' today

When everyone is fit I think we are amonst the 10th to 13th best attacking side. The problem is there for everyone to see. We heavily rely on fragile players, and our backups are mid-championship quality at best.
What further makes it all stink is that they are so shit that even if they really tried to put in a decent effort they'd still be way off (ie Murphy). And so, the difference between fielding our best side and well.. where we are now with injuries puts us closer to relegation battling for every injury.

We have been very badly run for years and years. Our squad is paper thin in terms of quality. We can't shift our garbage easily. 

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Still missing three of our best players and [arguably] our best player was not at peak level. Still got 31 games left when it can click.

I've said all along that 10th is my floor, where we end up beyond that is down to other factors outside our control.

3 hours ago, mofo said:

Thought Willock was the best of the 3 today? 

He was, but he skied a couple of shots and that had the fans groaning. There were a few fans having a go at him around me, but while he did some nice stuff, like the other two, when it came to applying the final touch, he was found wanting. Some clever approach play though.

1 hour ago, Numbers said:

Really disapointing to see some 'Fans' saying Howes been found out and calling for his head on Youtube Live Fan Reaction Accounts, its proper Knee Jerk shite.

That I am 100% with you on. This isnt down to Howe although I think Botman would have been better today. But he doesnt have anything else than the two wide players that were playing, one of them has never been great as a winger (miggy). His system is working, some of the players we have, doesnt really work that well with the system he wants. We dominate but the decisionmaking and honestly skill in the final third is suspect. But at the same time, with the total domination we had one would think that it should have been enough to win it. But until we get the rest of the mike ashley stank out of the club we will be absurdly pressured when one of the few creative outlets are out (asm) and one isnt 100% (Bruno G). In theory this should be one of the easier fixtures on the list of fixtures and the stats also showed this to a degree. Now the players need to be drilled on final third approaches cause we have had way too many games in a row with the same issue. We dominate but when we get to final third its like pub league.

Edited by worthy

Watching the game back again and the number of moves Almiron kills by slowing the game down and passing backwards is unbelievable. He has to be the first person straight out of the team. It's bad enough he can't take a man on in that position but then he never passes forward and is so slow in making decisions. Awful player on that right side. 

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Watching the game back again and the number of moves Almiron kills by slowing the game down and passing backwards is unbelievable. He has to be the first person straight out of the team. It's bad enough he can't take a man on in that position but then he never passes forward and is so slow in making decisions. Awful player on that right side. 

He got into great positions in behind their full back, but for some reason, instead of driving towards the goal, he often stopped and turned it back to a player behind him who was in a much less dangerous area. Absolutely bizarre.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

He got into great positions in behind their full back, but for some reason, instead of driving towards the goal, he often stopped and turned it back to a player behind him who was in a much less dangerous area. Absolutely bizarre.

Watching the game back I cannot believe how often this happens.

Noticed Trippier at one point stopped playing him in behind, probably  because he knew Almiron would just turn around and pass it backwards.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

He does it every single game, all the time. Having him and Frazer as our wingers starting games is fucking us badly and then let's not mention that Murphy is the replacement

What is the gold standard site for player match ratings?

Whoscored always seems to be in line with what I tend to see out there. Are they considered one of the best? Ratings below.

image.thumb.png.64d82be5c6653d11a8d0b8f0ae185674.png

Edited by KaKa

13 minutes ago, TRon said:

It really isn't a mystery, put him on the left and we might have a different player. On the right he's not PL level.

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

What is the gold standard site for player match ratings?

Whoscored always seems to be in line with what I tend to see out there. Are they considered one of the best? Ratings below.

image.thumb.png.64d82be5c6653d11a8d0b8f0ae185674.png

Looks like scoring a goal completely enhances points on there

Isak was never a 7.7 today

1 minute ago, et tu brute said:

It maybe would stop him cutting back, but personally I just don't think he is good enough full stop

Yep. He was in some really great positions today, basically could have been in on goal, albeit at an angle, even if you don't want to shoot, you should be able to find someone in the penalty area who can.

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

I’d stick him in Willock’s position

Looked so much better playing there against Atalanta in the pre season.

Think it's a more natural role for him as it is more similar to the attacking midfielder role he played prior to joining us.

Hate him out wide on the right. He's actually pathetic there. It's terrible to watch.

4 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Looked so much better playing there against Atalanta in the pre season.

Think it's a more natural role for him as it is more similar to the attacking midfielder role he played prior to joining us.

Hate him out wide on the right. He's actually pathetic there. It's terrible to watch.

It was terrible enough watching Willock.