Manchester United vs Newcastle United - 16/10/22 @ 14:00 (No UK TV)

Joelinton plus ASM in, tempting to say Targett too although that would mean changing the entire left side. Give it a go, but don't get hung up if the game doesn't go our way. If we want to finish Top 6, we probably need a result. That ambition makes it a six-pointer. If the goal is 7th/8th though, we don't need to gain points ourselves and deny them to Man U. It's no big deal.

Spurs away aside, we don't get battered anymore, so that's very unlikely regardless of historical experiences at OT. In away games, the best we've done under Howe is either beating Brentford last season or knocking 4 past Fulham last time out. If we do win, it will be easily the best away result post-takeover. We came close at Chelsea and Liverpool away, but both ended up as noble defeats. We were short-changed by the officials in both of those games, and there is a fair chance of that happening again.

Hope he sticks with Schär and Botman as the 2 CBs. As the game's getting closer the more I'm thinking I'd rip your arm off for a point, or just be happy at seeing us not fall to bits and lose after we take the lead (or equalise a la last season) as we have done frequently in recent years. Thankfully Howe won't think like that, but a score draw would be a good result in my eyes. We'll beat them at SJP.

I think Burn needs to sit this one out for Targett, Joe for Longstaff. 

If Maxi is fully fit surely he has to start in place of Murphy. 

Having said that, it seems a lot to change considering the 2 previous results so I'm just interested to see what Howe comes up with. 

5 hours ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

Unchanged for me. Possibly Big Joe for Longstaff.

Obvious one is ASM but I'd bring him on second half - not sure he works as hard as Murphy is of late.

Hard to drop anyone after back to back wins.

It's a fair stance but at the same time we're talking about 10-man Fulham and Brentford at home - a trip to Old Trafford isn't what it used to be but its still a completely different animal.

We should play our strongest available XI imo

ASM if fit enough should come in imo. Even more importantly I think Joelinton and Targett should come in for Longstaff and Burn. I still don’t think Longstaff offers enough. Pressing is key and Joelinton is twice the player when it comes to this, and stronger in general. Burn out for tactical reasons. Worse on the ball and to suffer less from their pace on the break with Targett in.

Depending on ASM fitness I guess I might be ok with Murphy starting because he can be decent with his pace and physicality. Make no mistake though, ASM is ten times the player so I would start him if reasonably fit and Murphy will just have to deal with it. Good rest for him too.

5 hours ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

Unchanged for me. Possibly Big Joe for Longstaff.

Obvious one is ASM but I'd bring him on second half - not sure he works as hard as Murphy is of late.

Hard to drop anyone after back to back wins.

Not just back to back wins +7 goal difference in 2 games

We’ve been good, no doubt about it, and we’ve made the opposition look bad too in many ways. But still, let’s not forget that Fulham were extremely naive and bad tactically after they went a man down and we played 85 minutes with 11 vs 10.  Brentford we did well to force pressure them into mistakes but they still made massive mistakes that shouldn’t have happened 9/10 times when under pressure.

We are a much much stronger side overall with Joelinton and ASM in it. Let’s not kid ourselves. Obviously depends on fitness but they will give us a better chance of beating ManU. Targett in for me too for a slightly quicker back four. Although this would make us less flexible to play three with trippier almost playing as a winger. I’d play Targett anyway. 

Edited by Ikon

Just now, mosstef said:

Bar any injuries during the week, I'm sure Eddie Howe will field an unchanged team after two impressive wins.

Yeah me too.

Also, from a strategic point of view. If we go unchanged, regardless of the result, Eddie has a great reason to play the ones who are left out against Everton. 

I'd be tempted to play Maxi and Co against Everton and smash them, ensuring the 3 points. 

I'd be tempted to give us the best chance possible of beating ManU and Everton. Then maybe rest a couple against Spurs if absolutely necessary. I see Spurs in the top 4 no matter what. More important that we beat and steal points from ManU who are rivals for a top 7 or there abouts, and even Everton even though i dont see them close to european places.

Edited by Ikon

I think Eddie has the perfect excuse to makes changes, if he felt he needed an excuse to drop/pick players, that we have three games in one week... We will need to rest and manage players.

Joe Linton has to come back into midfield as well as ASM. Longstaff and Murphy are light years away from the level of the former two!!!

the only doubt I have is whether Target comes in for Burn. Burn had an "off" game the other day but has been performing well in the  back 4/3 (when tripps advances) so I reckon Eddie won´t change the defence.

The reason he will change the midfield is that we press harder with big Joe and offer more threat up front with maxi and hence force them to be a bit less offensive down the right flank...

He'll be planning meticulously for every game, he won't need an excuse to make the changes that he thinks are right. 

The ability to press and rattle Man Utd seems to be the most important thing to this game, they're still a team with very fragile confidence. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

I think Howe is brighter than 'same again, lads' like Bruce was when he went 4-4-2 for example v Brighton the week after we beat West Ham and then Lamptey tore us a new one up here. He might go unchanged but I'd be uncomfortable with Burn against Antony for instance. He's also prone to a tussle at corners and referees don't need an excuse to award Man Utd at home.

After a bit of Excel, last 15 away, since Jan 1st.

P15 W6 D3 L6 F18 A19 Pts 21

Focusing on the "against" column, if you forget Man City and Spurs, which both involved late game collapses versus elite attacking teams, its nine goals conceded in thirteen games (plus Klopp time). 

Since Jan 1st home and away, we've conceded two or more in a game only four times in twenty nine games. In those other twenty five games, scoring once guaranteed us a draw or better and scoring twice was an automatic three points.

Would like maxi to start against these and then send Murphy on against Everton. Have a feeling he will get more space here and Everton might kick the shit out of him. Would like to see Joe and target for this too.