Other other games (2023/24) - Use Euros forum for Euros games

simonsays

Just now, STM said:

It's OK for them to sing songs that are designed to piss off Liverpool fans, but that's just because I hate Liverpool and find their fans reprehensible. 

You could certainly say with some certainty that it's not morally right but then there's a whole host of football chants we sing which aren't morally right. We like to pick and choose when to get offended.

The 'sign on' and ' feed the scousers' are really poor chants- singing about 97 people who died just to 'piss off Liverpool fans' is incredibly poor

1 minute ago, joeyt said:

The 'sign on' and ' feed the scousers' are really poor chants- singing about 97 people who died just to 'piss off Liverpool fans' is incredibly poor

Especially because a lot of the home supporters today would have been there as well and probably have their own horrific memories.  

11 minutes ago, Wullie said:

This Hearts-Celtic match has been fantastic.

I didn’t know that they were playing, I’d love for Hearts to break the Old Firm.

Absolutely lovely fans, and really down to earth.

Be great for a decent TV provider to come in and save Scottish football, because it’s on it’s arse, with all the Americans coming in to the Premier League, and the threat of a European Super League excluding the British clubs, you can see that the Premier League sooner or later would open the door to the Old Firm.

Edited by Stifler

4 minutes ago, joeyt said:

To pie those chants off as “pick and choose when you get offended”, is poor aswell. It’s obvious you can’t sing anything that involves discrimination or people dying.

5 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Especially when it could easily have been Forest fans who were unlawfully killed had they been allocated the opposite end on that day.

Just now, joeyt said:

Who gets to choose the moral barometer?

We also sang fat cockney bastard at MA, fat cabbage head at Steve Bruce, Adam Johnson a pedophile, Ronaldo a rapist and so on...

Personally, I think if you coming away from a football ground feeling hurt or offended by what the other clubs fans sing, perhaps you need to grow a thicker skin.

That's not to say some of it isn't below the belt because it absolutely is, I'm saying that I'd rather a football ground was a place of expression, no matter how dark it can get, than another place in society where people feel they can't say anything without offending someone.

Of course everyone has their drawing the line point, but it's very much different for different people.

1 minute ago, Rafalove said:

To pie those chants off as “pick and choose when you get offended”, is poor aswell. It’s obvious you can’t sing anything that involves discrimination or people dying.

But it's OK to call someone a fat cunt who IS alive?