Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

Just now, KaKa said:

The two Roma players that missed were both centre halves right?

Would always send all my better players first, unless maybe they are both supposed to be good penalty takers perhaps.

I mean they'd subbed off all their likely penalty takers. Poor that neither the forwards seem to volunteer to go up first.

That was terrible but I'm looking forward to blawwin babboos in the Vanarama final next week. Always like to see a Serie A victor but it would be canny if Moyesy got his hands on a pot.

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

That was terrible but I'm looking forward to blawwin babboos in the Vanarama final next week. Always like to see a Serie A victor but it would be canny if Moyesy got his hands on a pot.

That Fiorentina team has a number of really dangerous players. Can't see West Ham pulling it off.

8 minutes ago, 54 said:

Horncastle, as in the Football Ramble/Euro Leagues guy? If so that's a bit harsh, he seems a decent pundit :lol:

He knows his subject and he is but he’s an awful smug Gog (Peep Show) looking twat. You’re from Hull mate, dial it down a notch.

Mourinho betting the house on the EL to make the CL and sacking off the league in the process to make a dogs dinner of it and leave Roma needing so sell anyone of worth is absolutely chefs kiss stuff.

2 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

I don't mind Sevilla winning it when they start in the competition, but dropping out in the CL groups and delivering it irks a bit more.

They only have one more season to pull off this double dipping feat (though so do we).

I'm quite looking forward to the Stuttgart vs Hamburg relegation / promotion first leg on Sky tomorrow (or even today) at 7.45pm. It was discussed a few pages back about their plight, but if you look at Stuttgart's history from 1992/93 onwards, then it's pretty similar to us:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_VfB_Stuttgart_seasons

They did win the league in that time, instead of us blowing that big lead, and they did win the German Cup, as opposed to us just making a couple of FA Cup finals, but their league history was fairly similar, 3 CL campaigns and a number of UEFA / Europa campaigns and being in some sort of European competition most seasons, but a grim last 10 years or so, including 2 relegations and then bouncing back at the first attempt (like us), and a number of other seasons just hanging about the bottom half barely doing anything, or just surviving - there definitely are a lot of similarities with us prior to our takeover.

And then there's European Cup winning Hamburg, who have now had 5 successive seasons in the second tier, and facing the prospect of a 6th.

These are the premier clubs in Germany's second (2m popn) and sixth (600k+) largest cities, yet they've both had a really poor time of things of late - Hamburg haven't been in Europe since 2009/10, and the longer they stay down, the lower their stock will continue to fall. The fact that they are such prominent cities and were pretty good in recent memory does IMO make the tie a lot more intriguing to the neutral than say Bochum / Augsburg vs Darmstadt / Heidenheim.

I can't find any tie odds, but the match odds tomorrow are around Stuttgart 4/6, Hamburg 4/1, so I suspect the former will be favourites to stay up this season.

Edited by Paullow

6 hours ago, Paullow said:

I'm quite looking forward to the Stuttgart vs Hamburg relegation / promotion first leg on Sky tomorrow (or even today) at 7.45pm. It was discussed a few pages back about their plight, but if you look at Stuttgart's history from 1992/93 onwards, then it's pretty similar to us:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_VfB_Stuttgart_seasons

They did win the league in that time, instead of us blowing that big lead, and they did win the German Cup, as opposed to us just making a couple of FA Cup finals, but their league history was fairly similar, 3 CL campaigns and a number of UEFA / Europa campaigns and being in some sort of European competition most seasons, but a grim last 10 years or so, including 2 relegations and then bouncing back at the first attempt (like us), and a number of other seasons just hanging about the bottom half barely doing anything, or just surviving - there definitely are a lot of similarities with us prior to our takeover.

And then there's European Cup winning Hamburg, who have now had 5 successive seasons in the second tier, and facing the prospect of a 6th.

These are the premier clubs in Germany's second (2m popn) and sixth (600k+) largest cities, yet they've both had a really poor time of things of late - Hamburg haven't been in Europe since 2009/10, and the longer they stay down, the lower their stock will continue to fall. The fact that they are such prominent cities and were pretty good in recent memory does IMO make the tie a lot more intriguing to the neutral than say Bochum / Augsburg vs Darmstadt / Heidenheim.

I can't find any tie odds, but the match odds tomorrow are around Stuttgart 4/6, Hamburg 4/1, so I suspect the former will be favourites to stay up this season.

Random thought, and I don't know why, but every time I hear or read Stuttgart, I always think of Tomorrow never dies

James Bond:
It won't look like a suicide if you shoot me from over there.
Dr. Kaufman:
I am a professor of forensic medicine. Believe me, Mr. Bond, I could shoot you from Stuttgart und still create ze proper effect.