Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

54 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Just catching up on the highlights; Carragher's cackles on the commentary is one of the worst things I've ever heard. Didn't see any of the post-match antics but I wonder if Sky are close to jumping the shark with the Fans TV crap. Maybe I'm just being miserable but it's pure fucking aids imo. 

The post match shite was worse. Was like two fan channels of rival clubs having an argument.

7 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

The post match shite was worse. Was like two fan channels of rival clubs having an argument.

But what drama! Hashtag viral Love Island angry face thumbnail thirsty for salt yaaas! I won't believe what Graeme Souness said to Gary Neville, eyes emoji!

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

Just catching up on the highlights; Carragher's cackles on the commentary is one of the worst things I've ever heard. Didn't see any of the post-match antics but I wonder if Sky are close to jumping the shark with the Fans TV crap. Maybe I'm just being miserable but it's pure fucking aids imo. 

Entirely with you. It's endemic of the desperation for online engagement imo; let's get everyone arguing so we can throw five variations of shocked emojis in as the caption on our 10 social media channels. Absolute forced bollocks. It always seems to be some variation of today's trio, too.

As an NBA fan it feels somewhat inspired by the debate shows they have in the US with Stephen A Smith, Skip Bayless etc. But at least they keep it to daytime shows over there and don't force the bollocks down your throat either side of the match itself.

I'd miss absolutely nothing if the current incarnation of football 'punditry' was lost imo.

3 hours ago, Mattoon said:

But to counter that, at least we only conceded 2 against a rampant Liverpool

Our ten men were better than Man U's eleven. If anyone has a right to stop trying, its a team 2-0 down within twenty minutes with their keeper sent off. Man U were only one down at half time.

Re: Man U, Barca didn't create much against them either, so I wouldn't deeply question what we managed in the final. Fair play to Liverpool for completely ripping through them. I only saw extended highlights, but does sound like Man U gave up at 3-0.

Re: Liverpool, the attacking talent has always been there, and their questions lie in midfield and defence. When they play like yesterday, the suspicion is they'll outscore most teams anyway. After yesterday, perhaps its time to review the quality of their goals against us, which rivaled anything they did yesterday. Liverpool had their own collapse last week vs. Madrid, so it was a great reaction to that.

So to repeat, our of our rivals loses 0-7 and the other 2-5 at home in just the past week. We're apparently in big bother despite missing three big chances at the Etihad with the score still at 0-1. Remember that when folk talk about foregone conclusions. There is still a lot of football to be played.

3 hours ago, Stottie said:

Our ten men were better than Man U's eleven. If anyone has a right to stop trying, its a team 2-0 down within twenty minutes with their keeper sent off. Man U were only one down at half time.

Re: Man U, Barca didn't create much against them either, so I wouldn't deeply question what we managed in the final. Fair play to Liverpool for completely ripping through them. I only saw extended highlights, but does sound like Man U gave up at 3-0.

Re: Liverpool, the attacking talent has always been there, and their questions lie in midfield and defence. When they play like yesterday, the suspicion is they'll outscore most teams anyway. After yesterday, perhaps its time to review the quality of their goals against us, which rivaled anything they did yesterday. Liverpool had their own collapse last week vs. Madrid, so it was a great reaction to that.

So to repeat, our of our rivals loses 0-7 and the other 2-5 at home in just the past week. We're apparently in big bother despite missing three big chances at the Etihad with the score still at 0-1. Remember that when folk talk about foregone conclusions. There is still a lot of football to be played.

Agreed but we still have to get this scoring monkey off our backs before we can Turn the corner and imo our front three must just be exhausted and need rotating.

2 hours ago, r0cafella said:

Well, man United tend to get a lot of people behind the ball and break at pace. 

once they go a goal behind the strategy goes out of the window and they have to open up. 

I think a lot of people are using the game against Liverpool and are trying to come up with some false narrative. We're not a one dimensional counter-attacking side like we were under Solskjaer and we have controlled the vast majority of games this season.

I've seen a lot of opinions similar to yours that when we go 1-0 down we fold which is entirely untrue. This year alone we were 1-0 down to City and came back to beat them 2-1. 2-0 down to Leeds and came back to draw. 1-0 down to Barca and came back to draw. 1-0 down to Barca again and came back to win 2-1. 1-0 down to West Ham and came back to win 3-1.

We've just got absolutely done by Liverpool. It happens, they're capable of it. That was our 42nd game of the season and it's the first week of March. In my opinion we've looked fatigued for a while now and the wall was coming. It's just a shame it came against Liverpool. We were knackered against Newcastle as well. We just got the rub of the green early on which allowed to us to sit back and play on the break.

Only seen brief highlights of the game but some of that defending was so out of character for us this season as well. :lol: Just a one off horror show.

5 minutes ago, Froggy said:

I think a lot of people are using the game against Liverpool and are trying to come up with some false narrative. We're not a one dimensional counter-attacking side like we were under Solskjaer and we have controlled the vast majority of games this season.

I've seen a lot of opinions similar to yours that when we go 1-0 down we fold which is entirely untrue. This year alone we were 1-0 down to City and came back to beat them 2-1. 2-0 down to Leeds and came back to draw. 1-0 down to Barca and came back to draw. 1-0 down to Barca again and came back to win 2-1. 1-0 down to West Ham and came back to win 3-1.

We've just got absolutely done by Liverpool. It happens, they're capable of it. That was our 42nd game of the season and it's the first week of March. In my opinion we've looked fatigued for a while now and the wall was coming. It's just a shame it came against Liverpool. We were knackered against Newcastle as well. We just got the rub of the green early on which allowed to us to sit back and play on the break.

Only seen brief highlights of the game but some of that defending was so out of character for us this season as well. :lol: Just a one off horror show.

I actually also think this will be just a one off and you’ll be back to winning ways from next week but you were lucky to not get Fernandez sent off yesterday - the guy could have had at least 3 yellows, If that was our Bruno he would have walked - I have no doubt about that.

I think a lot of people are using the game against Liverpool and are trying to come up with some false narrative. We're not a one dimensional counter-attacking side like we were under Solskjaer and we have controlled the vast majority of games this season.

Weird as other teams fans label us as this because the Arsenal & Man Utd 0-0s reverted that way when we were under the cosh.

2 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

I actually also think this will be just a one off and you’ll be back to winning ways from next week but you were lucky to not get Fernandez sent off yesterday - the guy could have had at least 3 yellows, If that was our Bruno he would have walked - I have no doubt about that.

He probably should have got a red for pushing the linesman from what I watched. 

He's an elite player but he's petulant. Always has been and always will be.

4 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Weird as other teams fans label us as this because the Arsenal & Man Utd 0-0s reverted that way when we were under the cosh.

Other teams fans are idiots when they want to be. :lol: We all do it. 

1 hour ago, Froggy said:

You've undoubtedly made huge strides this season and will continue to improve, but you've shipped 4 at Brentford, 6 at City, 3 at Villa, 3 at Arsenal and 7 at Liverpool. It does seem that you're defensively vulnarable to some of the better attacks in the league. 

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

You've undoubtedly made huge strides this season and will continue to improve, but you've shipped 4 at Brentford, 6 at City, 3 at Villa, 3 at Arsenal and 7 at Liverpool. It does seem that you're defensively vulnarable to some of the better attacks in the league. 

Brentford was the first game of the season. City and Villa were ages ago as well when Ronaldo was still stinking up the place. We have 10 clean sheets this season. I think only Newcastle actually have more.

We have been a bit more shakey lately though and looking very leggy in games. We are definitely tired. We have some decent fixtures coming up so will see if we get back on track and whether or not yesterday was a sign of things to come. Ten Hag really hates rotating but he has to start or we'll fall away in every competition. Top four is still the priority. 

My impression is that Ten Haag has benefitted from deciding on his best side. There seemed to be so much chopping and changing at Man U in recent seasons. However, like us, the other side of the coin is that he hasn't been resting too many players and is paying the price for that.

It can probably be said of Arsenal as well. This is the big advantage that Man City have, with a bench as good as the first team. Much though I'd like to see Arsenal do it, I think City will reel them in.

Edited by Cronky

7 minutes ago, Cronky said:

My impression is that Ten Haag has benefitted from deciding on his best side. There seemed to be so much chopping and changing at Man U in recent seasons. However, like us, the other side of the coin is that he hasn't been resting too many players and is paying the price for that.

It can probably be said of Arsenal as well. This is the big advantage that Man City have, with a bench as good as the first team. Much though I'd like to see Arsenal do it, I think City will reel them in.

We all knew this was coming to be honest. We've been performing so well people forget we  start Wout Weghorst every single game. :lol:

In the top four thread someone suggested Newcastle were tired because they've played 2000+ minutes. We have multiple players on 3000+. Bruno Fernandes has played 3500 minutes of football this season. They're not robots. There has to be sacrifices made somewhere until the squad depth is at the level of someone like Man City.

They're a good team but not a very good team yet. They've been overrated for the last period because of the results they've been getting. I haven't really been that impressed with their overall performances despite the wins. 

Of course this defeat is an outlier, it doesn't mean they're shit.