Still still not worthy of a thread

gbandit

1 hour ago, Dokko said:

Stop making threads just because you have a random thought. This isn't RTG, we have standards here. 

Are we sure "Moyes = Gollum" isn't worthy of a thread, though?

On 08/04/2023 at 09:18, gbandit said:

Good to see, honest, not just soundbites and cliches. Why did his own career falter so much? Not that it

matters as a pundit, just interested as he sounds really switched on and there was a time when he looked like he was going to be an amazing striker 

Injuries / didn't trust his body / not the right mentality

3 hours ago, Astroblack said:

Always thought we should have kept Ambrose. Never understood why we let him go tbh. Could score from pretty much anywhere on the pitch. 

Tbh I never quite saw what SBR saw in him for him to become Solano's replacement. Always seemed lightweight to me

3 hours ago, Astroblack said:

Always thought we should have kept Ambrose. Never understood why we let him go tbh. Could score from pretty much anywhere on the pitch. 

He spent most of his career in the Championship

26 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

Lawrenson claiming we take the fin out of football

Fucking hell, the irony.

He's still bitter after he was utterly shit as a "defensive coach" under Keegan.

Edited by Sima

Since it's been debated a fair bit on social media since the weekend, are we buying into the assessment from Carragher that VVD is the best CB in Premier League history?

Definitely not for me. Had a fantastic few years and I know stats don't always tell the full story, but there's at least a few I'd have ahead of him.

I think VVD at his peak was the best CB in premier league history. He was absurd for a few years. Judging him across his whole time in the league I don’t think you can argue he’s the best the league’s seen because his drop off has been so huge 

Are we talking about comparing players at their peak or over the totality of career? I think it is difficult to find fault in VVD's game at his very best and absolutely would say he was as good as any centre back who has played the position. In terms of consistency of performance across career and trophies won he isn't quite there, I don't think he has been the player he was since that injury unfortunately and i don't think he is quite so intimidating to play against anymore.

15 minutes ago, Chicken Dancer said:

Since it's been debated a fair bit on social media since the weekend, are we buying into the assessment from Carragher that VVD is the best CB in Premier League history?

Definitely not for me. Had a fantastic few years and I know stats don't always tell the full story, but there's at least a few I'd have ahead of him.

No.  Not as good as Ferdinand, Vidic, Adams, Terry, Carvalho and probably more that don't spring immediately to mind for me.